What did you do today?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Contact the shipping company and request more information as to the delay.

In most cases, "held by Customs" or "awaiting customs clearance" for a significant time period indicates they need more information, or payment of duties/taxes, before the item will be released. (fun fact: Customs generally doesn't hold items itself, but it's done on behalf by the shipping companies!)

In a lot of the cases, the delay is caused by the shipping company sending a physical letter to the intended address asking for more information/payment as above.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Called Parcelforce and unfortunately they confirmed it still is with customs, awaiting them to have an inspirational dream to come through and decide what import tax to put on it...:mad:

The good part is I got the Rock It Cool delid kit yesterday and proceeded last night to delid the 8700k. I have already relided it and now waiting for the silicone to cure (lots of time since the case isnt here yet).

Realistically Tuesday would be the earliest to get the case; that's if they clear it tomorrow and I go pick it up myself instead of waiting for delivery.

Edit:
Parcelforce page just now updated showing "Customs charges raised". I guess I'll call tomorrow to hear the harmonious news...

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just got word that my GF might move out of state, so that's pretty rough.

In other news, I've started to mentally outline the FreeCad tutorials. I want to at least be able to help people get started with their own projects, seeing as Radian is falling a bit behind. Should have those written up soon, and videos/example files after that.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
got the Dynatron A26 today. boy does it scream, but at least it's just one of it. kinda missed the sound of a server room with 40+++ of those. just for a minute or two.
(60mm fan @ 4000rpm. strange I thought I remember 3000rpm)

revisited a few sketches. wanting to find a way to just get stuff done. I absorb myself into detail work too easily

welp. tomorrow's a workday. at least the week starts late this week

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Got a blue screen of death on laptop! Was tinkering for a solid hour to find out it overheated. I have to replace the thermal paste as this one dried out from years of use. Plus, it is probably full of dust. Temps hover in high 40s while idle,70s while web browsing, 100C when watching YT for more than an hour!

I am scarred to launch any app lol.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Just got word that my GF might move out of state, so that's pretty rough.

In other news, I've started to mentally outline the FreeCad tutorials. I want to at least be able to help people get started with their own projects, seeing as Radian is falling a bit behind. Should have those written up soon, and videos/example files after that.
I am sorry to read that. Long-distance relationships are a thing, however, and it can be made to work. Keeping the lines of communication open and meeting up where and when you can do go a long way to keeping the love strong.

If you need a proof-reader, beta tester, or someone to bounce ideas off of for the tutorials, please let me know.

got the Dynatron A26 today. boy does it scream, but at least it's just one of it. kinda missed the sound of a server room with 40+++ of those. just for a minute or two.
(60mm fan @ 4000rpm. strange I thought I remember 3000rpm)

revisited a few sketches. wanting to find a way to just get stuff done. I absorb myself into detail work too easily

welp. tomorrow's a workday. at least the week starts late this week
Those are turbines, not fans. XD Yup, today is work. Show of hands for whoever is working on a holiday today.

Got a blue screen of death on laptop! Was tinkering for a solid hour to find out it overheated. I have to replace the thermal paste as this one dried out from years of use. Plus, it is probably full of dust. Temps hover in high 40s while idle,70s while web browsing, 100C when watching YT for more than an hour!

Always best to clean out a laptop at least once a year.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015

It's time to clean the fan!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Submitted to information to the back office for the carrier to begin the investigation into the fraud on the account. Called back the hiring manager today to gain further feedback if possible and offer the solution of ride-sharing as a possible alternative. I did however tell the hiring manager that I am working on acquiring one. I have been told that a car is ABSOLUTELY needed and that the distance, gas, and insurance factor into the company's accounting. Got up to Tier 3 on a trading platform that I plan to use so I can now fund the account I have there. Will add more later when I'm not as down.

Aichon

Average Stuffer
Oct 16, 2017
I walked into the office today and was told by my boss that I'm now the boss.

The reality of that sentence is still sinking in, but to say the least it's deeply humbling. This client has been with us since before our company was even a company. Our CEO cut his teeth leading this project (and we still use some of the code that he wrote 30 years ago). As did the #2 guy. And the #3 guy. And many more over the last 30 or so years as this project has grown from a DOS executable to a suite of apps covering the desktop, cloud, and web.

And now they're trusting the entire thing to me as we're on the cusp of releasing some of the most significant changes in its history. Exciting days ahead.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017

The reality of that sentence is still sinking in, but to say the least it's deeply humbling. This client has been with us since before our company was even a company. Our CEO cut his teeth leading this project (and we still use some of the code that he wrote 30 years ago). As did the #2 guy. And the #3 guy. And many more over the last 30 or so years as this project has grown from a DOS executable to a suite of apps covering the desktop, cloud, and web.

And now they're trusting the entire thing to me as we're on the cusp of releasing some of the most significant changes in its history. Exciting days ahead.
wow, congrats!

There is this yearly national event for design students that happens every year in a different city, and this year will be held by my UNI. I just submitted a lecture about product design: expectations and reality, where I'm going to talk about PC case design and my final project. It will be really nice if they accepts this submission. its a very huge event, held by students themselves with people from all over the country. pretty much nobody uses desktops anymore so it will be fun to see their faces when I show them sff stuff. my country pretty much see pc cases as this huge ass monolits, so I hope to change that a bit

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Update 4: so I ordered both spare tubes and a patch kit. The kit'll arrive first, so I'll try my hand at repairing that one first. If it bursts again in the future that tube goes straight to the bin

yay got the tube patch kit from the mail
yay got the wheel back together
yay it pumps back
yay why is it bulging more on a side? I should deflate it
yay feels fine and flat let's pump it back up
yay did the pump valve leak
yay the blowy sound is coming from the wheel
yay it got another hole
yay not going to risk finding a third hole somewhere down the road
yay proper tubes only come next week

yay

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Tomorrow I have a LAN party and I realised from the last time that my Samson Meteor isn't the best mic when other people around you are shouting randomly. I love my Sennheiser headphones, I don't want to replace them with a closed-back GAMERZ headset or spend more than 100$ on a headset that's roughly the same audio quality. The solution I came up is this, having the generic 3,5mm jack boom mic on hand already:

So basically I took a board-mount female 3,5mm jack, soldered a spare male mini-jack cable to it, hot-glued the wires securely, used a thick self-adhesive piece of heatshrink, zip-tied the cable securely to the the heatshrink, electrical-taped the whole thing to the side of my HD 555, made a cable holder thingie with two P-clips and boom: job's done !

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016

That is awesome! Looking forward to reading further progress on this.

wow, congrats!

There is this yearly national event for design students that happens every year in a different city, and this year will be held by my UNI. I just submitted a lecture about product design: expectations and reality, where I'm going to talk about PC case design and my final project. It will be really nice if they accepts this submission. its a very huge event, held by students themselves with people from all over the country. pretty much nobody uses desktops anymore so it will be fun to see their faces when I show them sff stuff. my country pretty much see pc cases as this huge ass monoliths, so I hope to change that a bit
Go for it! It will be interesting to have seen the looks on their faces when you show it all off.

Tomorrow I have a LAN party and I realised the last time my Samson Meteor isn't the best mic when other people around you are shouting randomly. So I tried to fix the problem of my Sennheiser headphones, which I love and don't want to replace with a closed GAMERZ headset or spend more than 100$ on. The solution I came up is this, having the generic 3,5mm jack boom mic attachment on hand already:

So basically a board-mount female 3,5mm jack, soldered a spare male-male mini-jack cable to it, hot-glued the wires securely, used a thick self-adhesive piece of heatshrink, zip-tied the cable securely to the the heatshrink, electrical-taped the whole thing to the side of my HD 555, made a cable holder thingie with two P-clips and boom: job's done !