Nov 5, 2016
Got some ideas for an upcoming stx build :p

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Changed my trackball phenolic ball (worn coating), bearings and suspension bars (worn out) afer 3 years of heavy use (will post pics, this is worth gold lol).

Updated my workstation Archlinux after a few month of let down, 6GB worth of update.

Cooked a lot .... this is a nice chilling activity. My daughters just love having fresh made cakes in their school bags for their 4 o'clock (sorry can't fond the right translation for that ... maybe "snack").

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Changed my trackball phenolic ball (worn coating), bearings and suspension bars (worn out) afer 3 years of heavy use (will post pics, this is worth gold lol).

Updated my workstation Archlinux after a few month of let down, 6GB worth of update.

Cooked a lot .... this is a nice chilling activity. My daughters just love having fresh made cakes in their school bags for their 4 o'clock (sorry can't fond the right translation for that ... maybe "snack").
Now that is a way to spend a Sunday! I updated my system as soon as I saw kernel 4.15.1.

This weekend was a bit of a wash. While I did get a chance to game, my mind just still shot from the work. Going to learn Blender now and plan out a few projects and budgets.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It's a good deal of fun :)

Today I took a couple tests. Fortunately the testing lab had the internet go out so I can study a little more for the last one :p

Today was a rollercoaster for me. Missed a call as I woke up. It was for a phone interview. Got ready, called back, and conducted the interview. I am one of the prime candidates for the position (Level 2 Helpdesk \o/ ) which is in the company that I currently work at in the call centre. I do need a car to get to to the customer's location if necessary ( *sobs* ). This puts a large wrench in my plans as my credit sucks and I literally need to takeout a loan in order to afford the insurance on the car due to my location, driving histrory, and where I drive to. I could afford a cheap car though ( Yay! /s ). I did well enough at my call centre job today. Made a mistake on the second to last call though.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I do need a car to get to to the customer's location if necessary ( *sobs* ). This puts a large wrench in my plans as my credit sucks and I literally need to takeout a loan in order to afford the insurance on the car due to my location, driving histrory, and where I drive to. I could afford a cheap car though ( Yay! /s ). I did well enough at my call centre job today. Made a mistake on the second to last call though.
Cars are horrible cost-wise. If the yearly cost of a car isn't radically offset by the increase in pay and realistic growth opportunities, I would even consider not doing it. It will depend a lot on your situation and location, cramped metropolis vs spread-out suburbs will make this choice drastically different. But with self-driving cars being a reality in our lifetimes, car might become a service instead of ownership. On that note, maybe Uber or ride-sharing might also be a possibility. There are a lot of pros and cons but when money is tight, a car is usually a bad idea with unpredictable costs (mechanical failure, accident) and returning costs (fuel, tires, tax, insurance) but also negative residuals for when it eventually needs to be sold or replaced.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Cars are horrible cost-wise. If the yearly cost of a car isn't radically offset by the increase in pay and realistic growth opportunities, I would even consider not doing it. It will depend a lot on your situation and location, cramped metropolis vs spread-out suburbs will make this choice drastically different. But with self-driving cars being a reality in our lifetimes, car might become a service instead of ownership. On that note, maybe Uber or ride-sharing might also be a possibility. There are a lot of pros and cons but when money is tight, a car is usually a bad idea with unpredictable costs (mechanical failure, accident) and returning costs (fuel, tires, tax, insurance) but also negative residuals for when it eventually needs to be sold or replaced.
All very good points and they are why I put off having a car for so long. I am fortunate to live right by a ~20 bus terminal, a long-haul inter-city train station, and a major international airport. But I live in the suburbs. Getting to anywhere that is the next city over or in the city takes three to four times longer even with the correct buses or trains. My current commute to my call centre job takes nearly an hour and three buses to get there. There is no other way.

The thing with this job opportunity is that it's almost a Catch-22: I need a car for a job, which I need to afford and justify the car. Hopefully, I may be allowed to just get a Lyft to wherever I need to go. I'll bring that up in the next interview if I do get one.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

Today was a rollercoaster for me. Missed a call as I woke up. It was for a phone interview. Got ready, called back, and conducted the interview. I am one of the prime candidates for the position (Level 2 Helpdesk \o/ ) which is in the company that I currently work at in the call centre. I do need a car to get to to the customer's location if necessary ( *sobs* ). This puts a large wrench in my plans as my credit sucks and I literally need to takeout a loan in order to afford the insurance on the car due to my location, driving histrory, and where I drive to. I could afford a cheap car though ( Yay! /s ). I did well enough at my call centre job today. Made a mistake on the second to last call though.
Talking about needing a car to go to work, I just read this story.
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news...o-work-ups-co-workers-buy-him-a-car/963797302

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Just convinced Cryorig and Noctua to send me some free samples to test in my project (C7, L9i, L9a, L9x65, 60mm fans and thermal paste).
Didn't know those big companies were so supportive with startups, feels good :)
Also, just received my case prototypes (yay), so we are preparing some pics to tease on my thread.
That is awesome. Big companies do help out modders so it's little to see that they will help out others who advance the space.

This cut into my writing schedule yesterday. I'm a day behind on articles now! Dangit.
Ouch. That burns.

Got accepted for Udacity's inaugural Autonomous Flight nanodegree. I'll need to brush up on all my old Systems Engineering knowledge that hasn't been used in the day job.
That's great! Keep us posted!

Talking about needing a car to go to work, I just read this story.
http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news...o-work-ups-co-workers-buy-him-a-car/963797302
That just warms my heart.

Today was olay only to have my cellphone account comprimed. Sent a message to support and started gathering evidence only to change the attacks address back to my own before taking a screenshot. Now I'm just stressing over it and hoping that I can get the changes to the account reverted. Things were starting to look up to...

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
changed PC cases on holiday today. parents' PC now in the Riotoro.

It kinda occurred to me: it'd be a forgivable case (and maybe great even) if it came out in 2008ish. had that feeling when it just blended onto the work table
(on a side note, TIL Riotoro CR1088, which is the CR1080 but with RGB and a few storage adjustments ._. )

reason for the case swap is because I'm attempting to sell off my old(er) Lynnfield PC in the other older case (which means this system has lived through 4 cases now!!!). gave me a scare because RAM suddenly decided to "not exist" to the motherboard after taking it out for photos and putting it back in. convinced me it was a slot problem until I reseated them back in binary counts (1, 2, 4) and then started working for all them sticks again.

-------------------------------------------------------

contract job's going okay. didn't expect my art days to show some use for it. had to literally shade over a few foreheads on photos because why would you need plasters on pimples (maybe it's me).

Also learned a bit of colour theory on the job. for tones of the skin there's the base pink-ish/beige-ish tone, and highlights are towards yellow rather than just a brighter-shade-of.

had to learn it because a bunch of them had differences in light temperature recording. all into a JPG rather than RAW because easier to email ._.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
@VegetableStu
That is excellent. Hope your job allows you to continue evolving your skills.

@MultiDoc
Customs does take some time to check and release the item. How long has it been in there?

Today I felt like quitting everything. I called the carrier and was told that I need to submit a police report to their back office in order for them to begin investigating (which was confirmed yet again via another rep via email). I went to the police and was told that I cannot file report unless I am a victim. Tomorrow, I will contact the carrier and get a total cost or invoice for the changes. If not, I will escalate as high as I can go. If not, we shall see. The call centre job was okay today and sucked for the last hour. Was supposed to call back a customer but could not before close.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Gave 21 days notice to vacate my tenancy - moving in to my dad's house to help support him after his partner moves into a care home for Alzheimers. Big upheaval for my children and myself, but it may end up benefiting us. We'll see.
Having helped or directly taken care of my aunt, grandmother, and grandfather, it can be a strain at times. Hoping for the best for you and yours.