Water proof & Anti-Static safe solutions for traveling with a Micro ATX Computer ?

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Hi Guys!

So I'm in the process of putting together my very first custom built computer and I just realized.. what do I do if it's raining or in general what's the safest way to take it around with me?

Something with wheels would be nice.. I'm guessing a rolling carrier-on bag would the best solution. Any precautions I need to take?

If you're curious here's what I got:

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
If it's raining, cover it up. ASRock made the Forumla series motherboards for OCing, but they are also fine for office, gaming or just grandma Web surfing. The boards have a coating that is waterproof. It should be said the water resistance doesn't extend to the board sockets and various connections on the board. Of course it wouldn't help with components at all.

If the system is closed, no window side panel, there are sealants you can use that are safe for electrical connections. It could a nightmare later removing it though. Just saying, if you are hell bent on waterproofing, you are going to have to take unusual steps.

Covering the PC when the weather is bad is your best and easiest solution.

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
@Questors I just realized I better take some precautions when transporting the computer when it's raining outside I don't think I need anything that extreme. I don't plan to actually sit outside in the rain to use my computer. :)

I was using a rolling carry -on bag for my laptop but this new computer is just slightly too big for it. Also laptops are designed to be carried around and put in bags With this computer however the top is vented and the back would be exposed.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
This is basically your only option, unless you go full industrial:
Also, it's NOT SFF. XD

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
If you want proper protection, a Pelican-style case is your best bet. Water and dust proof (most have pressure release valves to avoid the latches blowing off on airplanes due to them essentially being airtight), very sturdy plastic (you'd likely need a sledgehammer to seriously damage it), most come with foam inserts that you can (relatively easily) cut to your required dimensions. Won't be cheap or compact, though, unless you're lucky enough to find one that exactly matches the dimensions of your case (remember to take into account the handle if your case has one). The main issue is that most of these cases aren't the right shape - for example, this one fits in two dimensions, but not three (it's about 2cm too narrow), so it won't work. The next step up is huge and could fit all your accessories or a small secondary system. Still, there might be options from other brands that I haven't found that fit the dimensions of the Cerberus better.

Edit: I missed this one, which is "sensibly" sized and should fit a Cerberus nicely.

Last edited:

artbywaqas

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
@Valantar Oh that's definitely a good choice if I'm traveling by plane a lot. Though I'd be worried if they don't allow me to bring the computer on board as carry on.

@Ankacat Ok, now I gotta check out your thread ;) I'll just be taking my computer back and forth to the office so your suggestion sounds like all l really need :)