Log Dan A4-SFX v4.1 - Erying Style

axtran

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
I recently caught wind of the neat Erying mobile SoC ITX science project motherboards, thanks to a combination of YouTube and Reddit, so it felt like a fun rebuild for my Dan A4-SFX build that I dismantled a few months ago to gift to my brother. He wouldn't have appreciated the A4-SFX, so I got him a mass production ITX case instead (Fractal Design Node 202). Recently, I attempted to load up and cool a Ryzen 7 - 7700X, but that proved to be a bit too much for even an Asetek 645LT. I don't want to quit on the A4-SFX, so I decided that it'd be fun to try the unorthodox Erying!

Ordering the Erying ITX board was fairly straightforward on AliExpress--the board took a few days to ship because Erying tests all of their boards before shipment. The board didn't come with a WiFi card, so I bought an AX210 because I didn't know how good the CNVi implementation would be on the Erying board. Turns out, I could have used the AX211, but the AX210 has been working just fine with my 6E wireless network.

I put together a hodge podge of hardware for this build. It serves as my travel computer for when I take prolonged trips to family members' homes. I like having a desktop computer for some late night alone time gaming, so I wanted something focused on 1080p. The types of games that I play vary quite a bit--Escape From Tarkov, Factorio, Satisfactory, Path of Exile, League of Legends, to name a few that I play on-and-off at the time of this build.

Parts:
  • 2x Viewsonic VX1755 Portable Displays
  • Dan A4-SFX v4.1 in Silver
  • Corsair SF450 Power Supply
  • pslate customs SF-series Unsleeved Custom PSU Cables
  • Erying ITX Motherboard with i7-12700H
  • Intel Arc A770 LE 16GB Graphics Card
  • Samsung 980 PRO 1TB Solid State Drive
  • 32GB (16x2) Silicon Power DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Memory Modules
  • ID-Cooling IS-47K with Upgraded Backplate (for LGA 1700 Support)
  • 2x Noctua HS-PWM A9x14 Fans
Build Log (with pictures):

Here's what I had ordered on AliExpress. Although they were from two different vendors, shipping grouped them into one shipment and they arrived repackaged into a larger package, together. Pretty convenient!

The board internally came packed with a whole air bubble cocoon on the outside, and the motherboard itself had this red layer of bubble wrap outside of the static bag that the motherboard was ultimately packed in. Nice!

The Erying board, removed from the box. Looks neat with the heatspreader! Note the power hardware on the board interferes with some coolers. I tried a Thermalright AXP90-X47 and alas, it wasn't compatible.

Here's the accessories that came with my Erying ITX board. Note that the rear IO is just a plain, sharp-edged hand destroyer type of IO plate. There's nice connectivity options though--dual NICs, VGA (lol), lots of USB ports, dual HDMI, DP, and the standard three audio jacks. Included is also the vertical mounting bracket/frame that supports the installation of the WiFi module of your choice.

There's questions as to whether or not the boards are shipped with CMOS batteries--mine was, and you can see that it has some adhesive on it. I relocated mine to be mounted on top of the WiFi adapter, as I ended up with the IS-47K cooling solution in the end. Here you can also see what the inside of a populated WiFi bracket looks like, with antenna connectors installed and everything.

I'm unsure if this step was needed, but I undid the four screws on the rear of the heatspreader to expose the mobile SoC of the 12700H. I ended up cleaning off the thermal paste and repasting using NT-H1, just as a safety precaution. From the looks of the SoC, this looks like a harvested SoC and not a brand new one. For me, as long as it works, I'm okay with it.

I did a first rendition build of everything using an Asetek 645LT that I already had purchased for my last build in the A4-SFX. It was a tight fit because at this time I was also using G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM, which has heat spreaders that cut into the available space of the AIO tubing. I would ultimately switch over to air cooling, since I didn't like the noise that the 645LT generated, overall.

Enter the ID-Cooling IS-47K. Although it has pretty poor reviews in general, I decided not to give up on this cooler since I had already purchased it a while ago, and I also noticed that it could have a few upgrades that I hoped would make a difference. I swapped out the stock fan with a Noctua A9x14 HS-PWM Chromax.Black fan, and flipped it from pulling air through the fin array to blowing air out. My plan here would be to have another Noctua A9x14 fan perform intake duties underneath the motherboard so that it would have a little L-shaped air channel to aid in VRM cooling, as well.

The IS-47K backplate mounting kit upgrade for LGA1700 (and backplates in general, since I also got one for AM4/AM5) came in. Simple kit, with typical ID-Cooling manufacturing quality (mediocre).

Here's a picture of the backplate upgrade for the IS-47K, installed. Not a bad fit!

Final build components, on the motherboard side of the case. Looking quite tidy!

The graphics card side. Nothing special to see, but I wanted to share since I think the Arc A770 LE looks slick.

Side put back onto the case, with the power ON. The Arc 770 LE has nice lighting, but it requires the installation of an optional I2C cable to control the color? Kinda absurd. I like the default lighting anyway (blue, with pulses of a pink-purple flashing about).

Summary:

So far, so good. I like the build--I've tried a few games on it and it runs just fine (including today's launch of Diablo 4, which worked great on Arc!). I'm still learning how to properly set PL1 and PL2 levels for the turbo boosting characteristics, but it works great for the few games that I have tried. I am also not getting any intense coil whine at load, which is a relief! I suppose time will tell if the SF450 will remain adequate (I haven't had any shutoffs yet).

Thanks for following along in this thread!

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Great to see these boards utilised.

There is an AM5 Backplate for ID-cooling products? I will have a look into that!

The Asetek was never a good solution for anything - just an extreme way to try to cool anything.

Why do you think the 7700X is not suitable? I have a 7800X3D running and the 7700X will run too with a little bit of tuning.

axtran

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Feb 13, 2017
I was having issues cooling the 7700X I had with the 645LT, but to be honest, it is probably more of a 645LT problem than it is the 7700X. I also felt bad that the 7700X couldn't be left to its magic since cooling was limited overall in the A4-SFX. I got a great deal on a 7700X bundle is why I went with it, I think it would have fared better with a 7700 or a 7900.

I bought this IS-47K a while ago to attempt to cool an old 11400 rendition of this build with a compact air cooler (reduced noise was the goal, especially over the 645LT). I was more than elated to find the conversion kit to address the lack of a backplate, which was feedback that everyone had for ID-Cooling--they're listening!

I've been playing with more tuning settings with the Erying Fantasy ITX 12700H that I have, and found that default settings would trigger thermal throttling constantly. There's a Tcc Override setting in the BIOS that needs to be manually set to 100 (representing 100C for thermal limit, configurable by users), else you'll have some very weird non-overheat but throttling constantly type of issue. Drove me nuts until I could find it!

Other than that, I am pulling XMP Profile 1 settings off of the budget RAM that I put into the system, and swapped the video card out for a 1080Ti (I'm repurposing the Arc 770 to my workstation and will be traveling with the 1080Ti instead). Using Intel XTU (my CPU isn't a HK variant but I still have a few settings I can set, mostly turbo settings), I set PL1 to Unlimited, PL2 to Unlimited, and boost time to 128s. Let's just say with desktop cooling, the performance of the 12700H is absolutely brilliant.

The IS-47K with the backplate performs a LOT better than with the original mounting kit, but I'm not testing it like-for-like so you'll have to take that piece of advice with a grain of salt. But I figure 11400 vs. a heat-monster 12700H--that's something to vouch for, if you are also already an IS-47K owner looking to see if the mounting kit even does anything at all.

My end fan configuration is also the typical Dan A4-SFX air cooling setup--one Noctua A9x14 pulls air through the heatsink and draws air from a side panel venting, and another Noctua A9x14 exhausts air from under the motherboard. I'm driving both fans in sync off of the CPU fan header, and cooling performance is more than adequate to keep this monster cooled under my usual workloads (travel coding, basic virtualization, and gaming). A great rebuild for my A4-SFX!

Reactions: Arboreal