Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
You push it too hard Imo.
Overclocking ram will increase temp of your proc also (at least the Infinity Fabric)

They aren't much cooler at stock tbh, although there's no instability. Considering they stayed a fair bit cooler with the cpu fan set as exhaust, I would say that the black ridge setup is not great for ram temps (at least in the sentry), and the cpu fan isn't helping to cool them, despite my expectation that it would.

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
I've seen this story repeated a few times with micron e-die. Which thermal tape are you using? I need to purchase some for the VLP heat sinks I just bought (the red ones from Taobao). Unsurprisingly, at the price point, the thermal tape they come with is supposedly awful. I'll use these until I can find some registered dimm factory heat spreaders with the clips, I think you're on the right track there, the added pressure would allow you to use thinner, more conductive pads.
My RAM has been marked as dispatched so fingers crossed it's the right sticks.

Some crap from Amazon. It sticks well enough, so I think it is high temperature rated, but not actually designed for thermal conductivity, but they sell it as such because they can and no one actually tests it. Probably a bunch of fake reviews too.

When I find the motivation to disassemble my whole pc again, my plan is to use some bulldog clips (you can easily remove the metal wire levers once they are in place) to hold the copper strips in place, and use the noctua thermal compound I have for my CPU cooler. It's not sticky enough, at least when it's freshly applied, so I might add a small strip of the tape at either end of something if it feels like it might slip. I'll probably anneal the copper and stick it in a vice beforehand to get it a bit flatter too.

Hopefully that'll make a measurable difference.

Reactions: n.tesla

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Some crap from Amazon. It sticks well enough, so I think it is high temperature rated, but not actually designed for thermal conductivity, but they sell it as such because they can and no one actually tests it. Probably a bunch of fake reviews too.

When I find the motivation to disassemble my whole pc again, my plan is to use some bulldog clips (you can easily remove the metal wire levers once they are in place) to hold the copper strips in place, and use the noctua thermal compound I have for my CPU cooler. It's not sticky enough, at least when it's freshly applied, so I might add a small strip of the tape at either end of something if it feels like it might slip. I'll probably anneal the copper and stick it in a vice beforehand to get it a bit flatter too.

Hopefully that'll make a measurable difference.
Yea, there's a lot of rubbish out there. So far I've looked at Alphacool 0.5mm, 3M 8805 0.5mm and could possibly use a Grizzly Carbonaut thermal pad though I don't like how it's not sticky at all and is electrically conductive.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Well, I didn't wait ? and finally placed an order on TaoBao for 2 x 16GB MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 and some of those red cheap heatspreaders, if it makes any difference. Planning to upgrade my cooling system (ROG B450-I motherboard and R5 3600) with a black ridge and 120mm noctua fan. I'll keep you updated when I received them !
Did your sticks get marked as sent yet?
Mine have a tracking number but haven't left the seller yet.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Nope...no tracking number, still waiting.... seller told me "tomorrow" to make me wait I think, I'll give it a couple of days.
Same thing with my seller, he actually told me it was sent today but tracking says it's still not been picked up. I suspect these sellers list it as available but don't actually have it in stock and are having issues ordering it themselves.

EDIT: @charlybegood , my order is now at it's destination distribution centre and out for delivery. Hopefully get a basetao update today. Any luck?

Last edited:

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
Same thing with my seller, he actually told me it was sent today but tracking says it's still not been picked up. I suspect these sellers list it as available but don't actually have it in stock and are having issues ordering it themselves.

EDIT: @charlybegood , my order is now at it's destination distribution centre and out for delivery. Hopefully get a basetao update today. Any luck?
Nice ! My seller shipped as well yesterday, and it arrived basetao warehouse today ?, I'll wait for them to register to parcel, and I'll upload the photos when I have them.

Reactions: n.tesla

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Nice ! My seller shipped as well yesterday, and it arrived basetao warehouse today ?, I'll wait for them to register to parcel, and I'll upload the photos when I have them.
So my RAM arrived at the Basetao warehouse today, I got sent some photos aaaaaannndddd...... it's d-die! AHHHH! The code on the module is D9TZV, what a bummer. It'll still chug along at 3200 just fine I'm sure but it won't have the overclocking potential of e-die. I've messaged the seller as the image they have for the item does have the D9WFL modules displayed and they said they will see if they can do an exchange for me. The saga continues...

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Same here, part number is MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1ZG, and chip number is D9TZV as well, tell me if you have any luck with your seller
Unlucky. Will keep you updated but I'm going to push for a refund even if they don't have the e-die to replace it with though this is getting somewhat tiresome.

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
Yeah same for me, asked for a return and refund
Unlucky. Will keep you updated but I'm going to push for a refund even if they don't have the e-die to replace it with though this is getting somewhat tiresome.
Yeah same for me, asked for a return and refund. And waiting to see if their "technology department" can have a batch with the good memory dies. But since the product reference is exactly the same, this is like the lottery, and you must be lucky to get a good E-die batch.

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
My seller may have a batch of D9WFL next week, they'll send me a photo first to confirm it is the correct reference. let's wait...

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
My seller may have a batch of D9WFL next week, they'll send me a photo first to confirm it is the correct reference. let's wait...
I just talked to your seller who told me the same same thing, they are ordering it because some people (us) are asking about it, sweet!
My seller suddenly turned into a bit of an ass, they wanted a 200 yuan fee for me to return it becuase they don't think they can resell it(!), I've got them down to 100 so far but I'm considering just taking it and selling back home for profit... hmmm.

EDIT: @charlybegood I just messaged our mutual seller, apparently the shipment has arrived, I've asked for a photo, no response as yet, will update when I know more.
EDIT 2: "photo will be delayed" or something to that effect. I guess later/tomorrow.

EDIT 3: Apparently the warehouse guys won't take photos for whoever I'm talking to (probably someone working from home). They said there will be no charge to return the item if it doesn't have the D9WFL code, I repeated myself like a million times so fingers crossed... again.

Last edited:

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
ok thanks for the info, we will have to wait after the chinese national holiday to have confirmation then.
Yup, asked them to send before but no dice. It's taking so long to get this RAM sorted that I'm starting to wonder if it's worth selling my Ryzen 2700 in anticipation of the 5000 series.

darknoise

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2020
Hey everyone, I've been testing several VLP kits lately on the search for the best option for my system (and out of fascination, they're cool and niche). I figured I should tell this thread about my experience.

My kits:
  • Kingston KVR26N19S8L/8 2x8GB 2666C19
  • V-Color TE416G26D819V-VKC 2x16GB 2666C19 ECC
  • Innodisk M4C0-AGS1TCIK 2x16GB 2666C19 ECC

MB: Asus Rog Strix B450-I Gaming
CPU: R5 3600 (previously an Athlon 200GE)

The Athlon should approximately represent your average Zen1 and Zen+ memory controller and its limits, whereas the 3600 is obviously much more capable in every regard and can unlock the true limits of these ram sticks. The Strix B450-I motherboard is generally regarded one of the best options for memory overclocking on Ryzen and shouldn't be the limiting factor in most cases.

Kingston KVR26N19S8L/8 2x8GB 2666C19

The modules use memory chips by Nanya Technology, specifically their first 8Gbit die revision, A-Die. Nanya only entered the DDR4 market in 2019 and reviews of this die are scarce and hard to find. Everything I've found points towards respectable overclocking headroom, around the 3400-3800MT/s mark. Thats sufficient for Ryzen.

On my 200GE, I ended up getting these up to
Frequency​
Voltage​
tCL-tRCDRD-tRCDWR-tRP-tRAS​
note​
3666MT/s​
1.45V​
16-17-18-21-36​
3600MT/s​
1.35V​
16-17-18-21-36​
3466MT/s​
1.28V​
16-17-18-21-36​
3200MT/s​
1.20V​
16-17-18-21-36​
There might have been more potential in those timings at lower frequency, but I stuck to 3600MT/s so I didnt really care about that.

On my Ryzen 3600, I curiously had to change the tRCDRD timing to achieve stability
Frequency​
Voltage​
note​
3600MT/s​
1.35V​
16-19-10-21-37​
3800MT/s​
1.35V​
18-19-20-15-38​
Higher frequencies did boot but threw errors quickly. Not sure if I'd be able to stabilize them.

Overall I'm happy with the results of this memory kit, I ended up recommending my 3600MT/s settings to someone else on Discord and they seemed to work there as well. Can recommend.

V-Color TE416G26D819V-VKC 2x16GB 2666C19 ECC

These modules uses memory chips by SK Hynix, namely their second latest 8Gbit die revision, commonly referred to as CJR. They're great ICs, can be found on many 3600MHz 16-19-19-39 or 3600MHz 18-22-22-42 retail kits. They may have overclocking headroom between 3600CL16 and >4000MT/s CL18, from what I've seen.
They're also the same ICs as those found on ADATA VLP modules recently, from what I've gathered.
A thing to note here is that -AURMEND- got this same kit with Hynix AFR ICs. Those are inferior dies on average, usually reaching between 3200 and 3600MT/s at most. The amazon seller that I got these from also sells a 2400MT/s module, which according to the low-quality product picture and amazon user reviews contains Samsung dies (B-Die, it seems).

On my 200GE, this kit capped out at around 3333MHz. Their dual rank nature is simply too taxing for weak memory controllers.

On my Ryzen 3600, they got a lot further
Frequency​
Voltage​
note​
4000MT/s​
1.40V​
18-19-10-21-21​
3800MT/s​
1.45V​
16-19-10-21-21​
3600MT/s​
1.40V​
16-17-10-19-21​

CJR 3600C16
CJR 3800C18
CJR 4000C18

I'm highly impressed with these modules, I think I got lucky. The ECC functionality doesnt appear to reduce performance and can be disabled in the BIOS.

Innodisk M4C0-AGS1TCIK 2x16GB 2666C19 ECC

These EUDIMMs contain Samsung C-Die chips (detected via their ...C-BCTD code on the ICs). Those are known to be some pretty bad ICs. They have low voltage tolerance and scale negatively with voltage past a certain point. They can be found on recent Corsair v4.32 3200C16 and I believe 3600C19 kits. Some reports suggest they can clock rather high with loose timings, but only at low-ish voltage.

On my 200GE, they achieved no greater than 3266MT/s at lame timings (16-17-10-20-40 IIRC)

On my Ryzen 3600, I did get to push them further
Frequency​
Voltage​
note​
3200MT/s​
1.24V​
16-17-10-18-33​
3600MT/s​
1.28V​
18-21-21-22-42​
3800MT/s​
1.24V​
20-21-21-22-42​
-boot issues-​
Anything between 3666 and 3800 might be stable, but demand higher voltage for tCL 16 so I stopped. 3800 had issues where it oftentimes didn't boot successfully, which could probably be stabilized with more effort, but its timings are super loose already so I won't bother.

C-Die 3200C16
C-Die 3600C18
C-Die 3800C20

These sticks are the worst performing ones out of the three. Based on this individual experience I wouldn't recommend them in case there are other options available.

Conclusion:
  • Kingston OC: 3600C16 or 3800C18
  • V-Color OC: 3600C16, 3800C16 or 4000C18
  • Innodisk OC: 3600C18
The VLP DDR4 DRAM options on the market right now appear to have respectable potential. Western users are no longer restricted to uncertain purchases from South East Asia, like it used to be until mid 2019. I wouldn't hesistate to pick V-Color modules or Crucial's CT16G4XFD8266 over the Innodisk modules.

I hope this will be helpful to some. I know my testing wasn't perfectly consistent or perfectly thorough (you'd typically want to run an overnight ram test for every setting), but this should be fine in terms of giving some form of indication.

I have also decided to compile this spreadsheet for information about VLP DDR4, with reported overclocks I could find on here, on Reddit and on Discord.

I think I'm gonna sell my Innodisk modules, I'll post a trade thread some time.

Hi @Syncro do you know if the Kingston sticks are still stable with 3600C16 and the newest Windows updates? I read a post in this thread that with the windows update 2004 the kingston sticks are not running stable anymore.

I received my Dan A4 last week and I am still not sure if I should rather go with the Black Ridge 120mm fan combo with VLP memory (overclocked to 3600 MHz) or go with the Noctua L9a instead and using the G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600?

darknoise

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2020
Idk if it's my RAM, or a problem with my board, Gigabyte B450i (hardware or firmware), but I can't no longer overclock my RAM... I think I've break something.

Which VLP RAM did you encounter the issues with overclocking and the windows update?

Syncro

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2019
Hi @Syncro do you know if the Kingston sticks are still stable with 3600C16 and the newest Windows updates? I read a post in this thread that with the windows update 2004 the kingston sticks are not running stable anymore.

I received my Dan A4 last week and I am still not sure if I should rather go with the Black Ridge 120mm fan combo with VLP memory (overclocked to 3600 MHz) or go with the Noctua L9a instead and using the G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600?
Unfortunately no I don't know, I have since sold these sticks to someone who doesn't run them at 3600. I don't recall which version I tested the Kingston sticks on.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
While searching for heatsinks that will fit VLP RAM, I came across these 3 different styles of VLP heatsink (attached to RAM ) on Taobao.

I realise this is likely overkill especially after seeing a video of Buildzoid holding a hairdryer on e-die all the way past 60 'C without getting any errors but I'll feel better about them being trapped under the Black Ridge with these on and I'll do some testing once I receive it all so others can benefit.

I bought a pair of both the 2nd and 3rd modules in the photos, the plan is to cut the thermal adhesive away with a razor blade and replace with thinner, higher performing thermal tape. I'll likely just use the clamp style ones in the 3rd photo but I'm wondering I can dremel or otherwise mod the finned heatsinks in photo 2 so that the clamps in photo 3 work with them.

Taobao Link

Photos:

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Kin
Which VLP RAM did you encounter the issues with overclocking and the windows update?
I've got the Kingston. But imo the issue is linked with a bios update oft Gigabyte board. DDR Voltage is totally break, it goes automatically to 1.3V at stock, while it should run at 1.2V

Reactions: darknoise