Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

Syncro

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2019
Man - I'm not sure what else I've got to do here. Maybe just drop to 16G? That seems to open up options a bit...but either way, this is starting to get really tedious. Anybody know of some ECC but non-registered/non-buffered sticks? Not too picky, just want the physical form factor...
Check out these V-Color sticks
Apparently Hynix CJR (c-die) is almost as good as Samsung b-die. I could use a hand identifying VLP CJR sticks. Half thinking of just going 16gb total until more 16gb modules are available.
Do you have some sticks already that you need to have identified? The sticks above appear to use Hynix JJR now (judging from the product pictures and someone's report in here), those are very similar to CJR (C-Die). Neither of them really get close to true well-binned B-Die but that's not an option for us anyways.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Huh!! Thanks so much for that link!! That would totally do, and they ship to Canada too.

So I take it these are ECC, but non-buffered?

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Fantastic. And they've been used successfully before in consumer builds? I've seen reviews of guys using them on Ryzen. I've got an 8700 on a B360-I. Mobo specs specifically state non-ECC but I'm thinking that this is assuming ECC registered/buffered. I'm assuming non-registered/buffered ECC would work in my board too - but any insights?

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Fantastic. And they've been used successfully before in consumer builds? I've seen reviews of guys using them on Ryzen. I've got an 8700 on a B360-I. Mobo specs specifically state non-ECC but I'm thinking that this is assuming ECC registered/buffered. I'm assuming non-registered/buffered ECC would work in my board too - but any insights?
I thought Intel reserves ECC mode for their server boards and CPUs, I imagine they'll work in non-ECC mode but I'm really not sure with Intel, I'm building a Ryzen setup myself.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Check out these V-Color sticks
Do you have some sticks already that you need to have identified? The sticks above appear to use Hynix JJR now (judging from the product pictures and someone's report in here), those are very similar to CJR (C-Die). Neither of them really get close to true well-binned B-Die but that's not an option for us anyways.
Ah, sorry no, I meant that I would like to find some for sale. I really don't want to spend much more than regular RAM prices though. I'm in the UK so would have to pay import tax on those v-color sticks so no go for me unfortunately.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, can't see a delete button to merge.

Syncro

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2019
Yeah they've been used multiple times around here. See this spreadsheet for all the mentions I could find in this thread and elsewhere so far.

Mobos mean non-ECC unbuffered (U-DIMMs) with this. Unless you can find other peoples reports on this, this might still be a gamble for you.

As to them being specifically used on B360, no clue. This support can differ between motherboard models even within the same chipset generation (at least until the latest 2020 chipsets, for which you can find a lot of explicit mentions of EU-DIMM support in non-ECC mode). Aurmend used them on Z390 here.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Oh wow. Certainly reassuring. A gamble still, yes, but much less of one - thanks for that. I ordered a set. One way or another, I'll be adding to that database. :)

The superbuy agent came back and said the seller informed her they had no narrow strips at all. I'm not sure who to trust, but honestly, at this point, those v-color sticks seem like a much surer bet. And they should be here in a bit more than a week.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Anyone had any luck running "MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1"? That's 16GB 3200MHz VLP modules. I think I might try em out.

EDIT: Ordered 2 of these from Taobao direct to my Basetao warehouse address (no service fees). Seller has plenty feedback and I also had a chat with the seller using 'Aliwangwang' chat (on a virtualbox VM to sandbox it of course) and they confirmed the exact code above with the warehouse while they were talking with me. There's no mention of sending VLP and normal height randomly and as far as I understand it the 'E1' on the end of the code means e-die.

Price is ¥570 (£62.19) per 16GB stick which is substantially cheaper than anywhere else I've seen.

Taobao link: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.24912e8dPX1T2N&id=626033410186&_u=u209a5v3hu9f17

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverJS and Syncro

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Just a heads up in case anyone is thinking of buying that last stick I linked. The seller has yet to dispatch the RAM which was ordered on the 29th. My Aliwangwang account was restricted (possibly because I'm using it from outside China) so I can't use the chat funtion. Payment has cleared though so hopefully will send by end of the week otherwise I'll raise a refund request I guess. Will update when I know more.

APSinc

Chassis Packer
Jul 30, 2018
I am currently using those V-Color sticks in my Ryzen build. They are ECC, but overclock fairly well if you give them a little voltage. The JJR chips don't seem to be quite as good as CJR (it's possible you could get either one; I got JJR but someone else got CJR in this same thread before me), but they were running with auto timings at very high clock speeds (timings were atrocious but apparently some chips can never hit 4000 no matter what and these did).

Some tuning and a bit of time later, and I'm currently running them at 3600 CL16-19-19-10 (?) at 1.45V; they seem pretty stable at that speed, but if I were really worried I might drop them down to CL18, as it could do that at lower voltage ~1.4V. I did buy a pair of $5 DDR3 VLP RDIMMS for their cheap aluminum heatsinks and then transferred them onto these, but I'm not completely sure that there's a significant performance aid re: temps. FWIW I don't think it hurt anything except my warranty, as I removed the sticker to apply them since the heatsinks were used with thermal paste and I didn't think it would work through the sticker.

I don't know how to check for ECC errors, or how to verify if I'm even running in ECC mode (I know Ryzen supports ECC but I don't think my board supports the functionality), but I don't recall the chips getting above 60 C in Prime95 Large FFTs and never experienced any instability except when I tried to be smart and lower the voltage a tick to 1.43V, at which point I received a WHEA BSOD about 40 minutes into my favorite game, and promptly turning the voltage back up returned the system to being completely stable.

Reactions: n.tesla

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Update on the MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 I ordered from Taobao: I used the English service live chat and received a call from customer support to unblock my aliwangwang account. The seller claims that their order of these modules was stuck in customs and offered an immediate refund which is now being processed.

I've asked the seller of the same item here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...WDpt9x&id=626406314932&ns=1&abbucket=3#detail to take close up photos of the modules, they said they would take the photos tomorrow. This way I can ensure 1) They have the item in stock before I order and 2) Identify the memory chips by the code printed on them to ensure they are not relabelled lower binned modules.

Will update when I get the photos.

EDIT: Also found this thread discussing the various chip 'bins', useful for verifying you're actually buying the higher rated die - https://community.hwbot.org/topic/189330-8gbit-micron-reve-e-die-thread/

EDIT 2: This stick appears to be out of stock across the board. There is one seller left who says they have it but it's more expensive (750 yuan) I've asked if they can offer a discount as there are cheaper sellers as well as for photos. Will hopefully get the answers I want tomorrow. The hunt continues...

EDIT 3: Does anyone else want to obtain these sticks? I think I could persuade a seller to order some in if they were guaranteed a larger order. One of the sellers said that they are a very specific model so they don't keep many in stock. It could also mean a cheaper price. Let me know! @SilverJS ?

EDIT 4: A seller who has it priced a bit higher (650 yuan) said they will have it in stock as of next week. They also said they would offer a discount for multiple sticks though so let me know before then if you'd like an order. I already have international postage covered with Basetao so would only ask for a small donation to help with costs. I'm currently based in the U.K. although I could forward any kits anywhere you like at your expense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Update on the V-Color sticks : received them today. Had to wait until kids in bed and all that to test, but happy to report that I'm typing this right now on my SFF PC with the Asus B360-I, with those ECC unbuffered VLP sticks. All seems well. Thanks so much for the suggestion! This really shouldn't be such a big deal to procure, but obviously it is, otherwise a thread such as this wouldn't be needed...

Thanks again to all of you. My ZS-A4 V2 should arrive shortly. It'll be between it, the M1, or the C01S...=)

Reactions: n.tesla