Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
@n.tesla : I'd probably grab a set off of you if you placed an order, yes.
Great! I'm away for a couple days then I'll be back to chase up my Aliwangwang pals. Congrats on your build!

EDIT: @SilverJS Order for 4 sticks placed. I highlighted the proper code and memory die on a photo and they assured me it was the correct stick. It was originally 650 but I bartered to 570 per stick. After conversion and postage it's £269.13 for 4x16GB MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 so £135 for 2 though I would ask for a bump considering international postage costs. I'll update when they arrive at the Basetao warehouse.

Last edited:

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
Great! I'm away for a couple days then I'll be back to chase up my Aliwangwang pals. Congrats on your build!

EDIT: @SilverJS Order for 4 sticks placed. I highlighted the proper code and memory die on a photo and they assured me it was the correct stick. It was originally 650 but I bartered to 570 per stick. After conversion and postage it's £269.13 for 4x16GB MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 so £135 for 2 though I would ask for a bump considering international postage costs. I'll update when they arrive at the Basetao warehouse.

Thanks for your research ! Keep us updated on how those sticks perform and if can tighten the timings, I might buy them depending on what overclocking you can get :)

Reactions: n.tesla

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Thanks for your research ! Keep us updated on how those sticks perform and if can tighten the timings, I might buy them depending on what overclocking you can get :)
Sure thing. As I understand it D9WFL are a higher binned version of the D9VPP chip which is used in some pretty high end commercial kits so you can get a good idea of performance from kits that use these chips. I will of course update as well all the same.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Guys, If anyone is interested, with the Ryzen 3950X and Gigabyte X570 I am able to run STABLE my VLP 2666MHz 2x16gb

DDR4 UDIMM VLP | Unbuffered Long DIMM | Very Low Profile Memory | Embedded DRAM Modules | Solutions – Innodisk

@ 18,19,19,19,38 1.35V at 3600MHz!
That's a pretty solid overclock there which actually brings me neatly to my next problem which is heat spreaders. I realise many think heat spreaders on DDR4 are redundant but it seems to be very well documented that certain memory ICs start to throw errors when temps reach upwards of 50'C.

Since we're all building in some pretty space constrained cases, I think it would be wise to add at least some kind of heatsink and airflow around the RAM.

Options I'm considering: (apologies for my lack of BB code fu, it's been a while)

1) A finned aluminium/copper heatsink ala m.2 style (potentially graphene coated if layered correctly).
Picture is from an ebay listing for DDR2 modules at £15 a pop, just an example.

2) A factory heatspreader as seen on many registered VLP modules.
Photo take from memorypack which seems to only sell in bulk but I emailed them to ask if they know where I can purchase in lower quantities.

3) The red VLP heatspreaders already discussed on this thread but unbranded from Taobao. ¥3.80 (£0.43) each.

4) These thin copper finned heatsinks on solid copper base on Taobao. ¥24.98 (£2.85) for a pair to do one stick (2 sides).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Well, at 1.35V they should be fine! Also, I think with a fan blowing above them you don't really need an heat spreader!
I can see if using my ECC Crucial VLP 2666MHz, that have the temp sensor integrated, I can have the same overclock, and I can check the temperature.

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Well, at 1.35V they should be fine! Also, I think with a fan blowing above them you don't really need an heat spreader!
I can see if using my ECC Crucial VLP 2666MHz, that have the temp sensor integrated, I can have the same overclock, and I can check the temperature.
Please do. I'll be using the Black Ridge with 120mm underneath in pull config on an ASUS B450-I. I suspect the first bank/module will benefit somewhat from the 120mm fan but I wonder about DIMM 2.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Please do. I'll be using the Black Ridge with 120mm underneath in pull config on an ASUS B450-I. I suspect the first bank/module will benefit somewhat from the 120mm fan but I wonder about DIMM 2.
Well, just tried. The memory never goes above 40, but the cpu fan is the Noctua N12x25 at 100% ?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
What cooler are you using and in what case and config? Can you retest at a more... everyday fan speed?
I am using a Noctua L12S in a T1. Regarding the fan speed, I can check normally, but in general if the ram are not stressed, the temperature are lower in any case!

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Hi Fabio, how much of a temperature drop are you getting with a a 120x25 fan versus the 120x15 fan? I'm trying to gauge if it's worth getting VLP ram and running a 120x25 fan under my L12 instead of the stock 92x25 mm fan to cool my 9900k.

I'm very happy with my Vcolor VLP ram so much that I want to get some for my other system.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hi Fabio, how much of a temperature drop are you getting with a a 120x25 fan versus the 120x15 fan? I'm trying to gauge if it's worth getting VLP ram and running a 120x25 fan under my L12 instead of the stock 92x25 mm fan to cool my 9900k.

I'm very happy with my Vcolor VLP ram so much that I want to get some for my other system.
Here my tests!

And here a user put them in a spreadsheet. I am using a FormD T1.

Reactions: n.tesla

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
Sure thing. As I understand it D9WFL are a higher binned version of the D9VPP chip which is used in some pretty high end commercial kits so you can get a good idea of performance from kits that use these chips. I will of course update as well all the same.

Well, I didn't wait ? and finally placed an order on TaoBao for 2 x 16GB MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 and some of those red cheap heatspreaders, if it makes any difference. Planning to upgrade my cooling system (ROG B450-I motherboard and R5 3600) with a black ridge and 120mm noctua fan. I'll keep you updated when I received them !

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Well, I didn't wait ? and finally placed an order on TaoBao for 2 x 16GB MTA18ADF2G72AZ-3G2E1 and some of those red cheap heatspreaders, if it makes any difference. Planning to upgrade my cooling system (ROG B450-I motherboard and R5 3600) with a black ridge and 120mm noctua fan. I'll keep you updated when I received them !
Which seller did you buy from? I only ask because many of them don't actually have the item in stock and you could be waiting for a long time just to be told they're out of stock.

I'm currently waiting on this seller to dispatch (they said would dispatch today, tracking code has been added but package not yet picked up by courier).

Price states 650 but I bartered it down to 570 which is in line with a couple other sellers.

Such as this one who are supposedly back in stock today. This is the seller who I initially bought from and got a refund as was out of stock. To be fair, communication was decent and can speak English on chat too.

Are you using an agent?

charlybegood

Trash Compacter
Sep 16, 2020
Which seller did you buy from? I only ask because many of them don't actually have the item in stock and you could be waiting for a long time just to be told they're out of stock.

I'm currently waiting on this seller to dispatch (they said would dispatch today, tracking code has been added but package not yet picked up by courier).

Price states 650 but I bartered it down to 570 which is in line with a couple other sellers.

Such as this one who are supposedly back in stock today. This is the seller who I initially bought from and got a refund as was out of stock. To be fair, communication was decent and can speak English on chat too.

Are you using an agent?

I directly bought from this seller for 550, was it a too good offer ? I spoke with him on Aliwangwang (quite good english) and he confirmed me that the part number was the correct one, as well as the D9WFL chips on the ram sticks, and that it is in stock, to be shipped tomorrow. My agent is Basetao, as I live in Reunion island, far away from any civilized place (joking very nice place !)

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
I directly bought from this seller for 550, was it a too good offer ? I spoke with him on Aliwangwang (quite good english) and he confirmed me that the part number was the correct one, as well as the D9WFL chips on the ram sticks, and that it is in stock, to be shipped tomorrow. My agent is Basetao, as I live in Reunion island, far away from any civilized place (joking very nice place !)
Nice! It looks like a couple other sellers have started to list this module, or I just missed that one before. The seller has 2 crowns which is very good so I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm sure you already know this but in case you don't; remember to pay with a fee free card on both Taobao and Basetao otherwise it can add up to a decent chunk of change. Hopefully we both get the correct sticks soon!

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
Imo if we use VLP it's because we have a 120mm fan above them, so I don't see the need of a heat spreader because it'll cool enough them

I have this setup (black ridge + undermounted nf-a12x15 in pull), and my sticks are getting hot enough to become unstable (55 C, roughly). I've posted about it earlier in this thread.

At some point I plan to retry my copper heatsinks with a better thermal interface. I suspect the "thermally conductive" tape I have is not actually that at all.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
You push it too hard Imo.
Overclocking ram will increase temp of your proc also (at least the Infinity Fabric)

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
I have this setup (black ridge + undermounted nf-a12x15 in pull), and my sticks are getting hot enough to become unstable (55 C, roughly). I've posted about it earlier in this thread.

At some point I plan to retry my copper heatsinks with a better thermal interface. I suspect the "thermally conductive" tape I have is not actually that at all.
I've seen this story repeated a few times with micron e-die. Which thermal tape are you using? I need to purchase some for the VLP heat sinks I just bought (the red ones from Taobao). Unsurprisingly, at the price point, the thermal tape they come with is supposedly awful. I'll use these until I can find some registered dimm factory heat spreaders with the clips, I think you're on the right track there, the added pressure would allow you to use thinner, more conductive pads.
My RAM has been marked as dispatched so fingers crossed it's the right sticks.