Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
For anyone not comfortable ordering from TaoBao, this link was posted on Reddit's SFFPC sub
https://enoch.systems/en/p/components/memory/m4ui-8gs1vc0k-c.html

Seems like they have 4-16gig samsung B-die innodisk VLP sticks available - not cheap though. User hasn't tested timings out much/at all yet.

Reactions: owliwar

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I could tolerate $150 for 16GB, and <= $120 is where I'm happy. But enoch is sadly still $200+ for 16GB, too much for me. Hopefully it gets cheaper next year because it looks like really good ram.

Kandirma

Trash Compacter
Sep 13, 2017
I could tolerate $150 for 16GB, and <= $120 is where I'm happy. But enoch is sadly still $200+ for 16GB, too much for me. Hopefully it gets cheaper next year because it looks like really good ram.
I wonder if a group buy could get the price down.

I suspect part of the reason for the price is the MTO nature

Diverge

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2018
Just to update this, and an FYI. After I placed my order for these, I asked enoch systems about 2 similar part number they had listed, and this is what they said after reaching out to innodisk. So apparently they are C-die.

Below is the exact response we got back from Innodisk.

Fixed die and non-fixed die are terms that Innodisk uses to differentiate two types of the exact same module.

In regards to the 8GB DDR4-2666 1Gx8 UDIMM VLP module, a part number with the following will represent:

M4UI-8GS1VC0K-C (fixed die part number)
- The letter "C" appended at the end shows and denotes that the module is built from the Samsung 18nm C-die IC.
- If this part number is selected, then we will provide and supply only C-die ICs for the longevity and duration that Samsung will support producing this IC. The current long term Samsung roadmap shows that this IC is going to be built by Samsung until 2022 but this is a reference as they can always change their mind down the road. Once the C-die goes EOL, then we will not provide the module with part number M4UI-8GS1VC0K-C.

M4U0-8GS1VCIK (non-fixed die)
- The 4th character "0" means that the module is a running non-fixed die. We don't show the C-die at the end of the part number. If the C-die goes EOL, and Samsung migrates to the next generation of the IC which will be the M-die, then Innodisk will perform a running change from the C-die to the M-die to continue everlasting supply and longevity of the module with part number M4U0-8GS1VCIK .

As of right now, both M4UI-8GS1VC0K-C and M4U0-8GS1VCIK are built to the same exact specifications in terms of the C-die and corresponding PCB.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I wonder if a group buy could get the price down.

I suspect part of the reason for the price is the MTO nature
Yeah, if a group buy were to happen maybe it could be done directly with innodisk. That would cut out a middleman, I just don't know if innodisk would be willing to do it.

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I've ordered my VLP memory through SuperBuy along with an i7 8700T Engineering Sample which was about $130 USD / $170 AUD for a 6c/12t 35W CPU that should perform as well as, if not better than, my i5 8400 for less money (Sold the i5 for $230 AUD) and lower heat/power so my system should be cooler with the 120mm fan on my Black Ridge when I get it.

Seid Dark

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
Just to update this, and an FYI. After I placed my order for these, I asked enoch systems about 2 similar part number they had listed, and this is what they said after reaching out to innodisk. So apparently they are C-die.
This is correct. I recently bought 2x8GB Innodisk VLP 2666MHz (M4U0-8GS1VCIK). Chips on the PCBs indicate these have K4A8G085WC-BCTD. I'm feeling buyer's remorse because this C-die doesn't seem to be anything like B-die. My overclocking attempts resulted in failure, every B-die can do 3200MHz CL14 but these don't even boot at 2666MHz CL14. 3200MHz 21-21-21-38 was Cinebench stable but that's a terrible amount of latency for Ryzen.

I'm using AMD Ryzen 2600 and Asus ROG Strix B450-i. Ryzen isn't the best platform for memory overclocking but I don't think that's the issue here. At the moment it seems C-die is a massive letdown. Of course it's possible that there's a compatibility problem, hopefully someone will test if overclocking works better with Intel or different AMD chipset.

Here's a screenshot from Thaiphoon Burner:

Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Yikes, is all C-die that bad? I'm not familiar with different Samsung ICs

I couldn't find out exactly what Micron dies the Adata ram had since it just says Spectek. None of the micron safe presets in the Ryzen dram calculator worked.

(also your Thaiphoon image seems to be broken? Maybe it's just my network)

Seid Dark

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
Sorry, it worked on my end.

I've found some overclocking info about C-die but it's in German. It seems like C-die is decent for Intel, capable of up to 4000MHz with high timings. Low latency 2800-3466MHz isn't possible and it doesn't response well to voltages above 1.35v. Unfortunately this isn't very helpful for Ryzen, B-die would be so much better.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I'm a cheap ass so even though I went with SuperBuy, I used one of the cheapest shipping options lol
It took a couple weeks

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
I'm a cheap ass so even though I went with SuperBuy, I used one of the cheapest shipping options lol
It took a couple weeks
Lol if I waited that long I'd fall way behind my mates in destiny 2 XD so I'm only willing to go a week without a pc haha

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
ahh yeah I understand XD I did have some ram already so I wasn't without a PC, just chasing my sff obsession :oops:

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
Hopefully my RAM comes in when my Black Ridge does. I'm still in Afghanistan waiting to go back home.

Reactions: VegetableStu