Memory Very low profile DDR4 ram

ultimatebean

What's an ITX?
New User
Jul 8, 2020
Hi guys, i am trying to buy ADATA VLP ram from a local seller. Anyone knows the OC-ing potential with this information?

Last edited by a moderator:

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018

With that much information, you could try downloading the calculator and plugging in all the values. It won't guarantee anything, but it should give you a good ballpark on what to expect.

Syncro

Caliper Novice
Nov 13, 2019
Hi guys, i am trying to buy ADATA VLP ram from a local seller. Anyone knows the OC-ing potential with this information?
The most important piece of info here would be the dram part number. That determines the die used and might tell us about OC headroom. I would ask the seller for a detailed picture of the modules, since Thp isn't able to give that info. It would show as a letter after the colon at the very end. Or via a 5 letter number that can be translated with the Micron FPGA converter.
That claimed production date of late 2019 gives hope that this might be a good recent die revision (Rev.E would be best case, J might still be great, the others are more uncertain)

Idle2824

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2018
After several months and a lot more testing, I have concluded that temperature is playing a big part in the stability of my ram. I have a stable (as in they run for months without any ECC single bit corrections) overclock of my innodisk sticks of 3600-18-19-19-43 at 1.32 V. However, ECC single bit correction errors start to flood in once my sticks reach ~55 C, which they more or less only do during the prime95 large fft test.

I am limited in the ways in which I can improve the cooling of my sticks, but one thing I did try was to stick some copper strips to the ICs, which I took some pictures of:

These are 12.5 mm (height) by 1.5 mm (width) strips, cut to lengths of 125 mm, in case anyone wants to do something similar. With those dimensions, the ddr4 mounting slot and clips are not obstructed, and the copper does not extend above the pcb.

Unfortunately, the addition of my DIY heatsinks did not seem to have an effect on the maximum temperatures, although they might be taking a little longer to heat up (I don't have the data to show either way). In any case, the large fft test in prime95 is still triggering ECC corrections, since the sticks still reach 55 C. It's possible that the thermal tape I used isn't great, or that the copper isn't straight enough to be making good contact with all the chips, but it looks as though finding ram heatsinks is not worth the effort. Maybe it would've worked better with some higher surface area heatsinks, but there's not a lot of room between the sticks, obviously.

If you want to do a better job than I did, find some good tin snips to make neat, straight cuts in the copper without bending it. Thermal pads and some kind of clip to add some clamping pressure and keep everything together might be better than the thermally conductive tape that I used.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PantherB and Syncro

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I just overclocked my vcolor hynix 16 gig 2666 mhz ram to 3600 16-19-19-39 @ 1.35 V. Been stable on prime95 but hitting approximately 61 degrees temp wise.

Reactions: Phuncz

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I was a bit hesitant picking VLP ram due to the low clock speeds and I went with intel because ram speed has less of an effect on performance than with ryzen. I've also never overclocked ram before and picked the timings based off this thread and it worked. I highly recommend the Vcolor VLP ram.

Hellow

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 7, 2019
Idk if it's my RAM, or a problem with my board, Gigabyte B450i (hardware or firmware), but I can't no longer overclock my RAM... I think I've break something.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Looks like the same model number so it should be the same. Only difference in the newegg one is a single stick and the amazon one it's bundled into 2x 16 gigs.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Are you guys tracking that ADATA now makes 3200MHz VLP RAM? I was just going to buy some 2666 from this seller here, for an upcoming huge Superbuy shipment of mine:

But I saw that, when selecting Dark Purple (or whatever the color is called), 3200 was NOT grayed out as an option. So I launched a chat with the seller, using Google Translate. (Not nearly as janky as I thought it would be...!). The seller confirmed that the 3200 is newly available in a VLP format. We'll see what happens when the order arrives at the Superbuy warehouse and the inspection pictures come in...but if that's true, I think that'd be very interesting!

Reactions: Syncro and rfarmer

n.tesla

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 19, 2020
Are you guys tracking that ADATA now makes 3200MHz VLP RAM? I was just going to buy some 2666 from this seller here, for an upcoming huge Superbuy shipment of mine:

But I saw that, when selecting Dark Purple (or whatever the color is called), 3200 was NOT grayed out as an option. So I launched a chat with the seller, using Google Translate. (Not nearly as janky as I thought it would be...!). The seller confirmed that the 3200 is newly available in a VLP format. We'll see what happens when the order arrives at the Superbuy warehouse and the inspection pictures come in...but if that's true, I think that'd be very interesting!
Hey, thanks for sharing this info! I'm also on the lookout for some decent VLP RAM to fit under a Black Ridge with 120mm fan so please do share your QC pics and correspondence with Superbuy. I have an Enhance 7660B and K39 V2 on it's way to Basetao just now also.

EDIT: @SilverJS , looking at the data sheets for similar micron VLP RAM, they are also rated to run at 3200MHz but at C22, I wonder if these 'new' adata sticks are actually the same sticks? I'm currently looking for an adata data sheet for their VLP u-dimms though no luck yet. Will update when I know more.

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Hmm. I hope the timings are a bit tighter than that, but I guess we'll see.

Either way, word to the wise for anybody doing this on Superbuy : make VERY VERY sure you specify to the agent that you want VLP RAM - BEFORE you order. =) Superbuy lets you do this with a message window of sorts, where you can insert 'comments' (600 characters max...) to the buying agent, during the purchasing process - but the fact is, you still must still pay the purchase price outright one way or another before the agent is even assigned. I don't know how Bhiner works (likely similarly), but that's my Superbuy experience - which, truth be told, has otherwise been quite good.

Don't be fooled by the plethora of VLP RAM stick pictures you see on Taobao and T-Mall listings. The vast majority of the actual listings, once you dig a bit, say that 'narrow' (as they call them - likely an artifact of the translation from Chinese, but I reprised the 'narrow' nomenclature in my correspondence because it seemed to 'stick' better) and 'normal' will be sent randomly. I learned this on my first order, which I had to return. To Superbuy's credit, the refund came without a hitch, albeit with a bit of a wait (~1 week?).

I even chatted with one seller - the one linked above - on the Ali Wang Wang app or whatever it's called (PSA : when you uninstall this bloated POS, go through your whole program list. It installs like 2 or 3 additional dependencies on top of the main app) to confirm they had stock of the 'narrow' strips. Heck, it's through that convo I even learned about the existence of the 3200 VLP sticks. I tried to really prepare the ground, telling them an agent (even with the name) was going to purchase some sticks, to please make sure they'd be 3200 VLP. But lo and behold, they weren't. So, that was my second order (now in the process of being returned/refunded).

So I'm now on my third order. I did exactly as I specified above this time, and the agent confirmed to me that she had specified 'narrow' to the seller when purchasing. Maybe I should hold off on giving advice, though - the sticks should arrive today or tomorrow, and I'll know for sure when I see the inspection. I really really really hope these are VLP this time...

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Well well - the sticks showed up, and....they're not VLP. Whoddathunk.

Man - I'm not sure what else I've got to do here. Maybe just drop to 16G? That seems to open up options a bit...but either way, this is starting to get really tedious. Anybody know of some ECC but non-registered/non-buffered sticks? Not too picky, just want the physical form factor...