Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021

coudld Densium measure me the distance between

front panel (exclude power botton) and the end of psu shroud?

marked with red line in the picture

Last edited:

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
I haven't received my mobo yet, but it seems a 2.4" drive could be easily mounted on the back of the wooden front panel of the Densium 4±. Can anyone confirm there is sufficient space who has a completed build.

Last edited:

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
I haven't received my mobo yet, but it seems a 2.4" drive could be easily mounted on the back of the wooden front panel of the Densium 4±. Can anyone confirm there is sufficient space who has a completed build.
There is definitely room for an SSD. I plan to use 3M velcro with adhesive backing to hold it on. I used that in my
FormD T1 classic and it worked well.

Reactions: Irish Os1r1s

RedSawn

Caliper Novice
Feb 18, 2022
Major update today everyone, be sure to read it.
Looks amazing. Changes are pretty much everything I wanted to see too.

Trouble is I'm in the market for the Plus 2 so it's a pity that's going to be on pause for the time being. Don't have a great deal of confidence there'll be a <215mm RTX 4060ti with the apparently scaling power requirements, it'd be a lot of money to put down just to get caught out by the increasing size of GPUs again

Reactions: Densium.net

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
coudld Densium measure me the distance between

front panel (exclude power botton) and the end of psu shroud?

marked with red line in the picture
Yes, it's 22mm (measured in cad-file)

Also curious about the APU version. How much CPU cooler clearance would that net?
73mm for the prototype, but can be changed before production if necessary.

Looks amazing. Changes are pretty much everything I wanted to see too.

Trouble is I'm in the market for the Plus 2 so it's a pity that's going to be on pause for the time being. Don't have a great deal of confidence there'll be a <215mm RTX 4060ti with the apparently scaling power requirements, it'd be a lot of money to put down just to get caught out by the increasing size of GPUs again
Yes, this is also a concern for me, however seeing how capable the 3060ti is (at gaming) It's not certain that the 4060ti will be the 'top pick' for value oriented builds moving forward. We'll have to see

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
You'd have no trouble fitting the new hdplex unit in there, but it might require some ingenuity!
Okay ... crazy thoughts ... haven't looked at dimensions yet, but ... maybe you could fit a radiator? Let's say that you could fit the hdplex gan 250w in on the GPU side ... could you then invert the Densium and use the old PSU bay as the new radiator bay? Push hot air out of the top that used to be the bottom?

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
Very impressive list of changes for the V2. Glad I waited. I'll definitely be buying a V2.

Question - can you add mounting holes to the GPU area for those of us who want to do PCIe bifurcation? So that we could have 2 thin PCIe devices in the case?
Could you also offer a Gen4 PCIe bifurcation riser cable that supports 2 PCIe devices?
For example, I'd like to do an RX 6400 LP SS & a 10Gb Ethernet controller card. Ryzen 5 5600, would make for a wicked little system ☺️

GucksTV

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 13, 2018
www.youtube.com
Even tho its nice to have features and options, I think a lot of people in the SFF forget that their very specific needs, are so niche, that when all would be integrated in one case, it'll end up looking like a pice of cheese! :D And for the design-language of the Densium 4, its simplicity and perfect balance of features and esthetics. Its a minimalist dream with beautifully integrated wood. Not only a tiny box with a bunch of holes for Hardware. Don't forget that guys...even when its nice to have options, for the mainstream and minimalists that value a premium and simplistic design, all those added holes and mounting options are a nightmare. So please @Densium.net stick to the spirit of your case. Don't bend arround niche features to please everybody. Cause then you sell one case to one happy customer and end up dissapointing ten others at the same time.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Even tho its nice to have features and options, I think a lot of people in the SFF forget that their very specific needs, are so niche, that when all would be integrated in one case, it'll end up looking like a pice of cheese! :D And for the design-language of the Densium 4, its simplicity and perfect balance of features and esthetics. Its a minimalist dream with beautifully integrated wood. Not only a tiny box with a bunch of holes for Hardware. Don't forget that guys...even when its nice to have options, for the mainstream and minimalists that value a premium and simplistic design, all those added holes and mounting options are a nightmare. So please @Densium.net stick to the spirit of your case. Don't bend arround niche features to please everybody. Cause then you sell one case to one happy customer and end up dissapointing ten others at the same time.
Agreed. Trying to please everyone will inevitably dilute the core of the case. For things like bifurcation risers IMO it is perfectly reasonable to be required to source the riser yourself and rig your own retention system (or, for something lightweight like a NIC, let the rear I/O hold it in place). The same goes for tons of drive mounting etc. If you're going this small, a certain level of DIY should be expected if you have niche desires.

Reactions: Aguda33 and GucksTV

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Very impressive list of changes for the V2. Glad I waited. I'll definitely be buying a V2.

Question - can you add mounting holes to the GPU area for those of us who want to do PCIe bifurcation? So that we could have 2 thin PCIe devices in the case?
Could you also offer a Gen4 PCIe bifurcation riser cable that supports 2 PCIe devices?
For example, I'd like to do an RX 6400 LP SS & a 10Gb Ethernet controller card. Ryzen 5 5600, would make for a wicked little system ☺️
As GucksTV and Valantar pointed out - It's a very niche desire and I don't wan't all my customers to pay for this feature unwillingly.

If you purchased the perfect length standoffs, you could use them to fasten the first riser, and then you could fasten a second riser at the end of the standoffs. If you'd get an M.2 to PCIe cable like this from ADT-Link

1654161919425.png

Reactions: rfarmer and GucksTV

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

Very wise words ;)

The changes for V2 seem perfect to me and I'm glad to see @Densium.net took over some improvements I suggested after my mixed experience with the V1.

Currently I have to use my V1 as APU build only because my GPU / Motherboard combination didn't fit but I'm looking forward to buy a V2 to complete the build I originally had in mind for it.

Reactions: Aguda33 and GucksTV

Tossi2020

Efficiency Noob
May 27, 2022
Agreed. Trying to please everyone will inevitably dilute the core of the case. For things like bifurcation risers IMO it is perfectly reasonable to be required to source the riser yourself and rig your own retention system (or, for something lightweight like a NIC, let the rear I/O hold it in place). The same goes for tons of drive mounting etc. If you're going this small, a certain level of DIY should be expected if you have niche desires.
Also agree, I like the simplistic feel of the V1 while some DIY elements can be explored. Speaking of, here's some DIY for ya'll :)

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I did, the front panel bracket and side panels are still steel. That's why I asked.
Ah now I understand.

It's mainly because of the strength and forming properties of steel vs aluminum. If I wanted to use aluminum, I'd have to increase the thickness - and in addition to that, aluminum is more brittle and can not achieve as small bend radius as the steel. Because of this, I think the bend on the front side of the side panels would be too big to seamlessly bend in underneath the front panel.

Also, the thickness of aluminum wouldn't look as good on the top and bottom of the case, where it's attached to the side flanges of the 'base part.'

Hope the explanation is understandable

edit: also the aluminum have been increasing and it's crazily expensive

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
Haha no probs. Just looking at it in my hand I didn't see why it wouldn't. Maybe the bower button obstructs something? I don't know.
if you are free and comfortable to
could you try installing front panel upside down?

thank you sir

Last edited: