Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Fantastic job! I just stumbled on this project and I wanted to offer my congratulations for offering an A4-SFX/Ghost S1 style device at a far more conservative price point. I highly prefer the price point and colors compared to the competition, and I only wish I would have found this much sooner. Is there a chance this may release before Christmas? I am updating my RVZ02 build so it is slicker when Zen 2 hits.

In fact, I would be willing to pay ASAP for one of the seven black ones in that first batch you have now. Does it come with PCIe ribbon cable and riser? As you alluded to in a post about conditions, I would gladly post build photos and a review. I would publish this content on my new review site, Tech and Tiny (techandtiny.com), which is getting rolled out now, as well as here and the SFFPC subreddit if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: macbosco

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I have a quick question: where are the three SSD mounting surfaces? I see the one underneath the PSU mounting location, but I do not see the others. Are they underneath the front panel?

miptzi

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 20, 2017
I'll take the bare version, and polish the hell out of those panels... Old polished stacker 830 feelings, lol

Reactions: macbosco

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I have a quick question: where are the three SSD mounting surfaces? I see the one underneath the PSU mounting location, but I do not see the others. Are they underneath the front panel?
The 2 extra hdd can be installed only if a short graphics card is used. The bracket can be mounted on the mid plate, on the gfx card side. 1 hdd can be used only if a full size gfx card is used.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
The 2 extra hdd can be installed only if a short graphics card is used.
Thank you. Do you happen to have a render or photo of what the two extra hard drives would look like? I do not think I could track one down in the post history of the thread. I only recall seeing renders of the single hard drive mount under the PSU.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Thank you. Do you happen to have a render or photo of what the two extra hard drives would look like? I do not think I could track one down in the post history of the thread. I only recall seeing renders of the single hard drive mount under the PSU.
Will post some new product photos after the paint work gets back. Will photo shoot mounted hdd bracket then.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Thank you! That reminds me that I need to purchase a photo light box myself to properly shoot photos of the case when review time comes.

Last edited:

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Quick update, the cases are basically completed! But in order to send out to testers I am still waiting for delivery of the accessories e.g. power cords, screws, feet stickers, magnetic tape, etc. Will post a google form for you to fill in once ready to ship out. At the moment I have these to go around : black 5 pcs, white 2 pcs, pink 2 pcs (not guaranteed), bare 3 pcs. I am reserving a couple of each color in case some big shot youtuber is interested to review it. Suprisingly, pink is in high demand within my circle, probably coz I have quite a few female friends, LoL.

So basically what you can do now which is the same as what I am doing is to "wait"...
Actually I will get some more professional product shots done later, and obviously more game time with those rigs :)

Oh, btw, an early announcement, will follow up with company website later. This product name is now called "Steck". And my new company startup is called "Nouvolo", I will try to use the new company for all transaction later. I am pleased to present Nouvolo's first product:

Nouvolo - model "Steck"

Have a nice weekend :cool:

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Now that it's painted, the look and feel of the chassis is way too similar to the Louqe Ghost S1. There are no issues with using your logistics know-how and funding to bring such a case to market, even using the same layout and concept. But there are too many look/feel similarities with the Ghost S1. The ventilation pattern, the power button, the light for the power button, the exaggerated curves on the corner, the inset and flush top panel.

You mentioned that you made improvements to the internal layouts, and the mechanism are different, so this constitutes something different. But really that is an engineering solution, which doesn't really matter to the end consumer. The look, the design, and the features are what the end consumer sees, and how products compared. The construction and mechanical design are invisible to them. And to be honest, the look and design of the case is a much tougher design aspect, than the internal construction. One is a creativity problem, the other is an engineering problem. The engineering problem has a known solution, but the creativity problem requires one to be... creative.

But I believe this is a missed opportunity to create your own brand with your own look and feel, instead of being known as a look-alike. If Louqe Ghost S1 has a design patent, this would definitely violate it. Case manufacturers, though they use the same layout, same features, same factories, they try really hard to create their own brand design even with such stiff competition.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I will have to fall on the other side of the opinion pool where I hold a counter viewpoint to what Thehack stated above. My opinion is the DAN and Ghost-style design should become the dominant style of case because it offers the best blend in volume, size, and ease of use. I think it sometimes is hard to accept a repeated formula again. After all, many of us here like designing completely new things and exploring wildly different design concept. But I feel that sometimes the tried-and-true formula is the best way instead of reinventing the wheel. I assert that keeping with this style will be the best way forward for the market. Instead of design, I feel the challenge of reducing manufacturing costs and thereby product cost for the end user should be the new focus.

That is why I feel that the next challenge is making this form factor more accepted and well-known. The only way around this is reducing cost. DAN Cases and Louqe could sell more cases if they reduced the costs to be more approachable to many more people. The current price point and shipping costs make it undesirable, a major roadblock and showstopper for many people. Price is the primary factor that keeps it out of the running when other SFF cases cost less. There are less expensive SFF options that offer a few more liters of volume and cost as little as $70. One example that immediately comes to mind is RVZ02/ML08 from Silverstone. We need to now consider ways to cut costs if we want this SFF style to become prevalent.

I think of this case design debacle as something which similar to the Surface tablet style, or a tablet with kickstand, which has become widely recycled and used among PC manufacturers. It looks so similar from manufacturer to manufacturer that except for occasional minor cosmetic differences or simply a manufacturer logo, someone might mistake it for a Surface produced by Microsoft itself. A major benefit for everyone is now Surface-style tablets cost much less than the original source of their inspiration and they are now in many more hands than the Surface ever was before. Personally, I see enough minor cosmetic differences in the Nouvolo Steck from the Ghost. The top panel's perforation is shorter and it lacks the Ghost's tab. The stock feet also give it distinct look from the onset. Internally, I can see minor changes in placement of the component mounts as well. Further, the power button and power LED locations are flipped.

Indeed, the Nouvolo Steck is Louqe Ghost inspired but it is most certainly not a Louqe product nor the Ghost. The Steck is its own thing and that, among other things, is a more economically produced, inexpensive offering that actually stands a chance in making a dent in the mass market. If nothing else, this competition might heat up the market and get the two other players, DAN Cases and Louqe, into seriously relooking at their prices or considering selling lower cost versions of their current offerings. We already have the Raijintek Ophion which is most sanely priced but that is a 12-liter case making it practically identical in volume to Silverstone's RVZ02/ML02 as well as quite bigger than the Ghost and the A4. On the other hand, if the Steck is successful enough, we could very well see this smaller design style being picked up by one of the big wigs like Silverstone or Cooler Master. If marketed well, I see the Steck as a slam dunk as more competition and more innovation and less expense which is a win-win for us consumers.

Last edited:
Reactions: talkion

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I will have to fall on the other side of the opinion pool where I hold a counter viewpoint to what Thehack stated above. My opinion is the DAN and Ghost-style design should become the dominant style of case because it offers the best blend in volume, size, and ease of use. I think it sometimes is hard to accept a repeated formula again. After all, many of us here like designing completely new things and exploring wildly different design concept. But I feel that sometimes the tried-and-true formula is the best way instead of reinventing the wheel. I assert that keeping with this style will be the best way forward for the market. Instead of design, I feel the challenge of reducing manufacturing costs and thereby product cost for the end user should be the new focus.

That is why I feel that the next challenge is making this form factor more accepted and well-known. The only way around this is reducing cost. DAN Cases and Louqe could sell more cases if they reduced the costs to be more approachable to many more people. The current price point and shipping costs make it undesirable, a major roadblock and showstopper for many people. Price is the primary factor that keeps it out of the running when other SFF cases cost less. There are less expensive SFF options that offer a few more liters of volume and cost as little as $70. One example that immediately comes to mind is RVZ02/ML08 from Silverstone. We need to now consider ways to cut costs if we want this SFF style to become prevalent.

I think of this case design debacle as something which similar to the Surface tablet style, or a tablet with kickstand, which has become widely recycled and used among PC manufacturers. It looks so similar from manufacturer to manufacturer that except for occasional minor cosmetic differences or simply a manufacturer logo, someone might mistake it for a Surface produced by Microsoft itself. A major benefit for everyone is now Surface-style tablets cost much less than the original source of their inspiration and they are now in many more hands than the Surface ever was before. Personally, I see enough minor cosmetic differences in the Nouvolo Steck from the Louqe. The top panel's perforation is shorter and it lacks the Louqe's tab. The stock feet also give it distinct look from the onset. Internally, I can see minor changes in placement of the component mounts as well. Further, the power button and power LED locations are flipped.

Indeed, the Nouvolo Steck is Louqe Ghost inspired but it is most certainly not a Louqe product nor the Ghost. The Steck is its own thing and that, among other things, is a more economically produced, inexpensive offering that actually stands a chance in making a dent in the mass market. If nothing else, this competition might heat up the market and get the two other players, DAN Cases and Louqe, into seriously relooking at their prices or considering selling lower cost versions of their current offerings. We already have the Raijintek Ophion which is most sanely priced but that is again a 10-liter+ case making it not much smaller in volume than Silverstone's RVZ02/ML02 as well as quite bigger than the Ghost and the A4. On the other hand, if the Steck is successful enough, we could very well see this smaller design style being picked up by one of the big wigs like Silverstone or Cooler Master. If marketed well, I see the Steck as a slam dunk as more competition and more innovation and less expense which is a win-win for us consumers.

The additionl of "top hats" is not a fancy mechanical design. It's just another column of space that is removable. The basic layout and design was demonstrated and executed by the dancase A4-SFX there are a couple of prior art of this, but he's the first to executed commercially. However, because the aluminum panel is vertical, other revisions cannot incorporate an expandable space.

However, now we have the C4 and the SM550.

Both of these designs could've incorporated the expandable chamber. But that is not the point, the point is, their design language is completely different and distinguishable. And now we have this:

The Steck could've had his/her own design language but instead copies the Ghost S1 design. If Dan and KSliger could have two of the same layouts, same features, but arrive at different design language, how could've the Steck been different? Those designs could've also been interested in using a removable chamber as well, but choose not to.

Reducing cost by using a different fabrication method is not mutually exclusive of having an original design.

You cannot compare a tablet's design, whose primary estate is taken up by the screen, and corners being safer to handle of they're curved, as an analogy. There are many design elements that case designers can use. The ATX market is an example of that, wildly different designs despite coming out of the same factories.

For future products, I hope Nouvolo creates his own original design. I do want more accessible cases in the market. However, going about it this way is bad taste.

To aspiring case designers, be careful because they may just copy it once you've proven market viability and outsell you through superior logistics.

Last edited:

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I'm positive, and I'll even put my bet on it, that I'll receive the Steck review case much sooner that anyone will get their hands on their Ghost S1 delivery.

Thank you for the update. Can't wait to review this case.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
The Steck could've had his/her own design language but instead copies the Ghost S1 design.
Again, it is not identical. I wrote what the differences were, namely the top panel, the power LED and button, component mounts, etc:

The top panel's perforation is shorter and it lacks the Ghost's tab. The stock feet also give it distinct look from the onset. Internally, I can see minor changes in placement of the component mounts as well. Further, the power button and power LED locations are flipped.

Look again at the image you just posted:

The top panel's perforation region is smaller on the Steck. Its top panel also omits the Ghost's tab and instead has receded lips from which to lift the panel. The power button and LED locations are flipped. There are feet as well a shroud surrounding them. I see the design language and while I see its roots, it speaks differently.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Again, it is not identical. I wrote what the differences were, namely the top panel, the power LED and button, the included feet etc:

Look again at the image you just posted:

The top panel's perforation region is smaller on the Steck. Its top panel also omits the Ghost's tab and instead has receded lips from which to lift the panel. The power button and LED locations are flipped. There are feet as well a shroud surrounding theml. I see the design language and while I see its roots, it speaks differently to me.

I will not argue with you the subjectivity of what constitutes as "original" design. Just know, for the majority of people, especially creatives, we call this a copy. If you had to point out such specific elements to notice the difference... most people will say... it's a copy.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
[F]or the majority of people, especially creatives, we call this a copy.
I am a creative and I would beg to differ and I readily exempt myself from that narrow classification. I think a major problem with some of us creatives is that we cannot handle when someone perceives something common between us and takes that inspiration when we were too bent on going too far. The fact of the matter is some of us creatives mistakenly believe that thinking outside of the box does not constitute there not being a box to begin with. Sometimes, that means not thinking so wildly different and working within tighter parameters while adjusting others more wildly that we did not consider. I am happy that macbosco picked up on the common design between both the A4 and the Ghost and that he is making something based on that foundation which is both different and cheaper.

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I am a creative and I would beg to differ and I readily exclude from that narrow classification. I think a major problem with some of us creatives is that we cannot handle when someone perceives something common between us and takes that inspiration. The fact of the matter is some of us creatives mistakenly believe that thinking outside of the box does not constitute there not being a box to begin with. Sometimes, that means not thinking so wildly different and working within tighter parameters while adjusting others more wildly. I am happy that macbosco picked up on the common design between both the A4 and the Ghost and that he is making something both different and cheaper.

Just cheaper my friend. Just cheaper.

The issue is both personal and business. For someone without industrial connection to create and build up a company with a certain look and design, and to do the hard effort of proving that's it is viable is incredible risky.

You then spend your efforts refining it, going through a kickstart campaign, failing, and trying again, and now encountering logistics issue. Then, as you near your goal, of sharing your passion and efforts with the world... a logistics savey engineer copies it and beats you in your own game.

As a consumer, it's good. You win. The buyers win. As the designer, it hurts, because you got beaten to the punch after overworking and being stressed out if it's actually viable or you're going to bankrupt and waste your time the last few years.

I think Louqe will do fine. The market is expanding and their designers are good enough to get copied. But I can't say that it doesn't feel hurtful if I was them.

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
If anyone from the Louqe team has concerns about this case thread they are more than able to raise a query w/ site staff themselves, as is any other forum user who feels there is an issue that should be addressed. Derailing threads is not an appropriate solution. Please either DM a staff member or a moderator or use the report button at the bottom of the post in question. Starting a clone war in thread is not productive, it brings down the tone of the forum and is user hostile. Flame wars do not solve problems, please use the tools provided or, at the very least, put it in its own thread.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Just cheaper my friend. Just cheaper.
Just because it uses a dual chamber GPU/motherboard design under 10-liters, and it has larger CPU cooler clearance and an optional top chamber or "Top Hat" like the Ghost does not make it a mere copy. There is a bit more going on here than you are willing to admit. So for the benefit of all, I will let the photo speak for itself with these visual annotations highlighting just a few of its differences.

There is more than just the additional line, removable feet and the difference of color you note in your reply to this post on the next page of this thread. Just to be clear to everyone, the Steck is on the left. As you can see, the Steck's perforation of its top panel is clearly different. There is no tab for lifting its top panel. Instead, there are receded handles for lifting the top panel. There is a shroud surrounding the case feet at the base. The power button and power LED locations are flipped. These are just a few of the differences.

Your reply to this post on the next page does not state this and you refuse to acknowledge these differences after my reattempted explanations. At this point, thehack, please consider our conversation finished so this does not devolve into a flame war as requested by the mod above. Thank you.

Last edited: