Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow 130mm Tower Cooler

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I'm using the Aorus itx board, I've tried it on the 3900x and the 3700x.
It's fine. The idle voltages were too high on the oldest bios it came with but it's fine now after I updated to the latest bios.
My grief with it is that it seems to take pretty long to post and on rare occasions it will reset to default values when it isn't able to post. (I'm Doing no overclocking btw, just setting the 4000 mhz memory I have to it's profile and fixed at 3600 mhz).
It posts slow on both the Aorus boards I have tried btw.
I feel like I've read mixed stuff about all the x570 boards so far and none of them are perfect.... and I'm not sure who's to blame there (AMD or mobo manufacturers). I'm not afraid to recommend the Aorus ITX x570 board tbh, I don't think there are really "better" itx x570 out there.
These boards just aren't as smooth as the Intel 14nm+++++++ boards :[

I'll post pics tomorrow.
AMD recently came out with AGESA 1.0.0.4 bios update that is supposed to fix the slow boot times, just waiting for the board partners to release the update.

Bourne3D

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
that's pretty good thermals for a 3900x on a small cooler, mind showing some pics of the build ? :D

Pics!

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
Nice! So with your Aorus Mobo, you had to clip the fins off of your CPU cooler just to have it fit? Are you building in the NCase v5 or 6?

When I did have the Asus mobo I didn't have a cpu fitment issue with that power cord but I fear I may have to do the same thing as you. I have the V6

If I end up with the same issue with the power plug, I may try to see if I can bend the fins away from the plug. Pray that I won't cut myself in the process :)

Last edited:

Bourne3D

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
Nice! So with your Aorus Mobo, you had to clip the fins off of your CPU cooler just to have it fit? Are you building in the NCase v5 or 6?

When I did have the Asus mobo I didn't have a cpu fitment issue with that power cord but I fear I may have to do the same thing as you. I have the V6

If I end up with the same issue with the power plug, I may try to see if I can bend the fins away from the plug. Pray that I won't cut myself in the process :)

I'm using the V5, I don't know if there are more options for the powercord placement on the V6.
Yeah I had to clip off a few fins ( about 1/5 of the side ), it was fairly easy to do. This was also not very difficult emotionally because the cooler is ugly as hell to begin with :'D
I also have some of the plastic on the powerplug shaved off ( ~2 mm I guess ).
I think it's very unlikely that you can bend them out of the way, I had to make at least 1 cm of clearing.
Maybe you could get better tools than I had I basically just had pliers, clamped 1-2 fins at once wiggled and twisted... you could do it more elegantly.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I'm using the V5, I don't know if there are more options for the powercord placement on the V6.
Yeah I had to clip off a few fins ( about 1/5 of the side ), it was fairly easy to do. This was also not very difficult emotionally because the cooler is ugly as hell to begin with :'D
I also have some of the plastic on the powerplug shaved off ( ~2 mm I guess ).
I think it's very unlikely that you can bend them out of the way, I had to make at least 1 cm of clearing.
Maybe you could get better tools than I had I basically just had pliers, clamped 1-2 fins at once wiggled and twisted... you could do it more elegantly.
Could you have moved the power cord to the middle position?

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah a lot of people don't but you can switch it to where the Ncase badge is, I had to do that for the radiator I had installed.
After looking at it the new middle position may not make too much of a difference since the fins run all along the top of the cooler. If it were oriented in a top down configuration then maybe the cord would help..

Bourne3D

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
Could you have moved the power cord to the middle position?

In this instance that does not help. I'm pretty familiar with the case so I was aware that you could do that.

You can clearly see here that it wouldn't help... it would only make it more difficult because it's harder to remove the fins in the middle.

Reactions: rfarmer

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
In this instance that does not help. I'm pretty familiar with the case so I was aware that you could do that.

You can clearly see here that it wouldn't help... it would only make it more difficult because it's harder to remove the fins in the middle.

It looks like i'll probably pick up a pair of tin snips off amazon to trim those fins :(. I was hoping I could bend the fins away from the cord but it looks like it'll be much easier just to cut them.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018

Socket placement on the Aorus board is... not optimal. The socket is a bit too high, meaning it can cause compatibility problems in the Ncase, like with the C14s. The Asus X570 board doesn't really have that problem. The Asrock board has the socket set a bit higher than the Asus, but it also has Intel LGA 1151 mounting holes which should allow for more flexibility with mounting cpu coolers unlike with AM4 coolers and mounting holes.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Yeah I can see that now, I thought maybe that was just at the front.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
This is frustrating -

I got my Aorus board today as well as my new 3700X CPU and did a breadbox mount to ensure everything worked.

Plugged in a USB flash drive to update bios to the newest Bios driver prior to putting everything on

After everything was installed:
System will short and turn on - CPU, GPU fans spin, Rgb lights up on GPU but the HDMI connection from the GPU to my monitor does not show a display.

I double checked my connections (psu, reseating RAM, GPU, tested each individual ram in single slot config) and still no dice.

PSU was checked with the paperclip test. The Corsair SF platinum fan spun on briefly and turned off - assuming this was normal as there is a fanless mode.

I know the HDMI port to my monitor works as my laptop will hook up without issue

Only other thing I can think of to see if I can get anything to display using a display port cable...

I also plugged in the speaker cable from the case to see if there are any audible beeps during boot and there were no sounds at all.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should try next? This is the second go-around and im losing my mind. Ive never had issues with previous builds.

Bourne3D

Chassis Packer
Oct 17, 2018
Sorry to hear that man. Hope something didn't go wrong during the bios flash. I personally always do it with everything installed.
But it's weird that the MB doesn't give you any error beeps, my money would be that there's something wrong with it.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
Some ideas:
  • Gigabyte motherboards often have dual BIOS. If so, there may be small physical switches on the motherboard that set whether BIOS 1 or BIOS 2 are to be used. See if you can set it to use the other BIOS which should be unchanged from the flashing.
  • If the motherboard has a BIOS Flashback capability I would try flashing the it back to the previous BIOS. You may have to remove the CPU and RAM to do this. Not all motherboards have this capability, but many of the higher-end X570 ones do.
  • Also, attach some fans to the power supply to make sure it's on.
  • Do you have a second power supply to test with?

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
Some ideas:
  • Gigabyte motherboards often have dual BIOS. If so, there may be small physical switches on the motherboard that set whether BIOS 1 or BIOS 2 are to be used. See if you can set it to use the other BIOS which should be unchanged from the flashing.
  • If the motherboard has a BIOS Flashback capability I would try flashing the it back to the previous BIOS. You may have to remove the CPU and RAM to do this. Not all motherboards have this capability, but many of the higher-end X570 ones do.
  • Also, attach some fans to the power supply to make sure it's on.
  • Do you have a second power supply to test with?

I do not have a second psu to test with. What connectors would I need to hook my case fans up to the psu?

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
I do not have a second psu to test with. What connectors would I need to hook my case fans up to the psu?

Many fans used to come with a molex (old 4-pin power supply connector) to 3-pin adapter so many computer owners accumulated several over the years. Anything else you have that can plug into the power supply's SATA or other connectors will do so long as you can tell that the device is getting power.

You may have to take it to a local computer repair shop or to a knowledgeable friend's place to troubleshoot each of the components by swapping them with known good ones. Good luck!

dabster

Efficiency Noob
Jun 2, 2019
It seems to have clearance issues on the Asus Impact with the ram I am using as it is touching the ram. You could maybe get it in if you force it, but I am not sure if it will be seated properly and how much pressure it would put on the ram. I didn't bother trying. It could probably work with low profile ram. I just ran out and got an AIO instead.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019
Many fans used to come with a molex (old 4-pin power supply connector) to 3-pin adapter so many computer owners accumulated several over the years. Anything else you have that can plug into the power supply's SATA or other connectors will do so long as you can tell that the device is getting power.

You may have to take it to a local computer repair shop or to a knowledgeable friend's place to troubleshoot each of the components by swapping them with known good ones. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm going to try mounting everything again with the CPU and Mobo replacements. If there's still no luck I'll likely lug everything over to a local PC repair store and have them diagnose since I don't have any spare parts lying around. Just praying that it's not my EVGA 2080ti gpu :(