Theoretical Kimera Cerberus builds

What platform will you probably be using ?

• Intel Socket 1150 (Z87, Z97)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Intel Socket 1151 (Z170, ...)

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Intel Socket 2011-3 (X99, ...)

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • AMD Socket AM3+ (900-series)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • AMD Socket AM4 (???)

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • AMD Socket FM2+ (A88X, ...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Is there any promising game in sight ? Even if you can't name it, I would still like to hear if there is atleast one developer taking the performance of dual GPUs to good use, since AMD is waiting with the dual Fiji just for VR (apparently). Because I don't see you saying multi-GPU is a waste for VR, just that it needs focus and support by the developers.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Is there any promising game in sight ? Even if you can't name it, I would still like to hear if there is atleast one developer taking the performance of dual GPUs to good use, since AMD is waiting with the dual Fiji just for VR (apparently). Because I don't see you saying multi-GPU is a waste for VR, just that it needs focus and support by the developers.
Either due to NDAs or unwillingness to commit to the extra work, no developer thus far has confirmed they will implement VR multi-GPU thus far.

For VR SLI, UE4 has implemented support, so games made using Unreal should at a minimum suffer litle-to-no performance penalty, and possibly benefit slightly (not to a dramatic degree) from low-hanging-fruit optimisations if the devs even want to try. It may not be worth trying for just basic optimisations due to potential backlash from users getting less speedup than expected. AFAIAA, Unity has not implemented VR SLI yet, at least in public versions.
Luquid VR Crossfire has not yet been implemented in Unity or Unreal in any public versions. Cryengine support was announced last year (though only for LiquidVR in general, no guarantee as to which features of it would be implemented), but has yet to materialise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Robust multi-GPU support is the sort of thing that developers will work on after a major release, not before. I'd expect such support to be pretty robust in 2017, and much more scattershot this year.

I also don't necessarily think that the efficacy of multiple GPUs with non-VR games is predictive of what this support will look like, now and in the future. AMD and nVidia are both pushing technologies for VR very heavily, and the combination of high resolution and independent screens that's ingrained in the architecture of VR makes the benefits a lot more obvious, and a lot more worthwhile to work on.

(The other thing, too, is that this is hardly something a developer is going to brag about. People don't buy a particular game only because it has multi-GPU support, so developers aren't going to waste time touting that fact.)

Reactions: Phuncz

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
AMD and nVidia are both pushing technologies for VR very heavily
That's a thought. AMD have normally been very hands-off, but Nvidia are well known for their copious assistance to developers on optimisation and integrating Gameworks. It's not outside the realm of possibility they would assist developers in getting VR SLi optimised, effective subsidising the work for developers who would otherwise not be able to implement it.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
If I'm able to get a hold of this case with solid panels, I'm going to migrate my z170 build over from my ncase, and try to get a silent as possible pc.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I'm able to get a hold of this case with solid panels, I'm going to migrate my z170 build over from my ncase, and try to get a silent as possible pc.

Mind sharing your specs?

One of the things I really like most about the final version of Cerberus is the fact that it now supports 140mm fans all over. Although the case isn't constructed in such a way that it muffles noise, 140mm support alone means you can get some nice Noctuas and spin them really low, while still keeping temperatures reasonable.

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
Mind

sharing your specs?

Right now I have a Ncase with the following.

Msi z170i ac gaming (chose a z-series board because of the features)
i7 6700 (non k)
16gb ram
Cryorig c1 Cpu cooler
500gb samsung evo 850 ssd
250gb samsung evo 840 ssd
6tb wd blue
Gigabyte 980ti extreme gaming from gigabyte with removed fans.
Nzxt grid+ v2 fan controller
Sharkoon 500w sfx-l

92mm slim noctua in the back
2x120mm slim fans from ID cooling in side panel
2x120mm slim silverstone fw121 fans sandwiched between 980ti and cabinet. A perfect fit.

The reason I "want" to go away from the Ncase, is because the Silverstone fans for the gpu are to noisy when I have my demciflex filter on the bottom.

So I plan to just have my itx card in the build for now since it's brand new, and just use the PCI extendercable to have the card in the bottom slot with twin 140x25mm fans that the card can rest on. Also going to add sound dampening material to as much of the panels as possible.

Would like to have room for another 6tb 3,5" drive.

Shitty pictures.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Mind sharing your specs?

One of the things I really like most about the final version of Cerberus is the fact that it now supports 140mm fans all over. Although the case isn't constructed in such a way that it muffles noise, 140mm support alone means you can get some nice Noctuas and spin them really low, while still keeping temperatures reasonable.

This was indeed a pleasant surprise, although I have a ridiculous amount of BNIB 120mm fans from Noiseblocker and Scythe that will now continue to go unused.. XD

xkhoi

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2016

I was actually unsure if two 140mm would fit at the bottom with no interference. If two 140mm noctua fans are placed at the bottom and using an SFX-L power supply, would a 140/120mm fan fit in the front without issues?

Pat-Roner

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2016
I was actually unsure if two 140mm would fit at the bottom with no interference. If two 140mm noctua fans are placed at the bottom and using an SFX-L power supply, would a 140/120mm fan fit in the front without issues?

Since the case is 354mm deep, and two 140 fans take up 280mm, theres quite a lot of space left. So should think so.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yes, dual 140mm fans on the bottom will leave room for a fan at the front

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
With SFX-L, though, only a 120mm will fit - and that's only if the connectors on a modular unit don't interfere.

(They shouldn't - none of SilverStone's units do, for example - but it's possible)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
After mulling if going dual-GPU for VR is a good build excuse, I'm contemplating on virtualizing my by potential build by running ESXi on it, hardware passthrough the GPU or GPUs, having a Linux VM for general use and a Windows 10 VM for games. And have an OpenELEC VM available too with the integrated graphics. And possibly two Windows VMs if I go dual GPU to have two seperate game machines.

The problem would be managing ESXi (to switch OSes), but I bet I can fit a NUC in there somewhere for that purpose. It all sounds more like a proof of concept but I'd like to move on from using Windows as my default operating system without the need to resort to using another screen. Another 32" screen is not going to happen and using a seperate smaller screen beside it is not going to be much fun.

Anyone with ESXi experience and virtualizing desktops that would like to chime in ?

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
With SFX-L, though, only a 120mm will fit

is this really true? i can't tell from the drawings. it looks awfully close, even assuming the bottom of the front fan can't go any lower than 25mm due to interference with the bottom fans. if that configuration really doesn't work, it looks possible to slide the bottom fans toward the rear of the case just enough to allow the front fan to move down a little. doesn't even lose you any mounting points, since the case feet block the outer screw holes for 2x140mm bottom fans anyway. yes, a 120 would fit better, but the name of the game is moving as much air through the case as possible at a given face velocity, which means the more intake area covered with fans, the better. :)

EDIT: looking at the dimensioned drawings again, a 130mm long power supply leaves 146mm of space beneath it, so you're right: only a 120mm fan would fit above a 25mm bottom fan, but a 140mm fan would still fit if the bottom fans were offset.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The bottom fans can be moved back enough that they wouldn't interfere with a fan mounted under the SFX PSU:

The problem is the the flange of the middle frame piece and the mounting screws reduce that available height a bit. I can test it tonight but the problem you'll run into if it does fit is you'll have to remove the power supply to disconnect some of the modular connectors.

With a 120mm fan there's just enough space to remove the PCIe cable on the SX500-LG.

Reactions: jsco

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
The bottom fans can be moved back enough that they wouldn't interfere with a fan mounted under the SFX PSU:

The problem is the the flange of the middle frame piece and the mounting screws reduce that available height a bit. I can test it tonight but the problem you'll run into if it does fit is you'll have to remove the power supply to disconnect some of the modular connectors.

With a 120mm fan there's just enough space to remove the PCIe cable on the SX500-LG.

just to be clear, in this image, the front of the case is actually on the left, correct?

xkhoi

Chassis Packer
Feb 16, 2016
Hey guys,

I don't know about anyone else but I am really hoping ASUS makes another Gryphon mATX board whether its for the Z170 series or the upcoming Kaby Lake. I love the TUF series look and really want to use a board like that for this case. Does anyone know anything about a new Gryphon board coming out?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I haven't heard anything. Getting ASUS to do the X99-M WS was difficult, they don't seem to put much effort into mATX these days.