Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

B14CKB1RD

Average Stuffer
Dec 7, 2017
Actually, the L9x65 would probably be better to test than the C7.

Agreed Noctua L9x65 for both Intel and SE AM4 variant for AMD seems moar better choice. Although Cryorig announced that the new C7 full copper model will be out soon so maybe somewhere in time that new copper C7 could be the best solution. One more pretty damn good cooler that fits under 66mm is Thermalright AXP-100, would like to see that one too. As for the AIOs Fractal Design S24 or any with similar short/soft tubes will do just fine.

yfactor

Efficiency Noob
Oct 14, 2017
Time for the large CPU cooler test, we have a bunch of coolers ready, which ones should be included? 4 of each type is probably the right amount for a clean report. The units we have in the lab are listed below:

AIR:
  • Noctua HN-L9i Link
  • Noctua NH-L9x65 Link
  • Noctua NH-L12 Link
  • ZALMAN CNPS8900 Quiet Link
  • Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B + NF-A12x15 PWM Link, Fan
  • Cryorig C7 Link
  • ShadowRock LP + NF-A12x15 PWM Link, Fan

LIQUID:

• Corsair H100i v2 Link
  • Corsair H80i v2 Link
  • Fractal Design Celsius S24 Link
  • NZXT Kraken X52 Link
  • NZXT Kraken X31 Link
Big Shuriken 2 Rev B + Noctua A12x15 (I'm running this in my Node 202 (which I will be discarding for the Ghost!) and it is by far the best performer.
ShadowRock LP
H100i v2
H80i v2
X52
X31

Special request - any chance you can could try to the new EK Phoenix expandable AIO system with CPU and GPU blocks with a 240mm rad in the large tophat? I am strongly considering going balls to the wall and putting this in my Ghost

It would also be cool to see a dual 120mm AIO build - a H80/X31 for the CPU and the EVGA Hybrid GPU AIO for the GPU!

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Special request - any chance you can could try to the new EK Phoenix expandable AIO system with CPU and GPU blocks with a 240mm rad in the large tophat? I am strongly considering going balls to the wall and putting this in my Ghost

EK Phoenix will not fit; interference with the interior corners of the TopHat...

kukkaroinen

Cable Smoosher
Nov 25, 2017
Agreed Noctua L9x65 for both Intel and SE AM4 variant for AMD seems moar better choice. Although Cryorig announced that the new C7 full copper model will be out soon so maybe somewhere in time that new copper C7 could be the best solution. One more pretty damn good cooler that fits under 66mm is Thermalright AXP-100, would like to see that one too. As for the AIOs Fractal Design S24 or any with similar short/soft tubes will do just fine.
That Thermalright cooler would be a very good choice aswell. Only worried about turbulence a little.

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
We have NOT tested the L12 on RYZEN! Since the L12 is at the very limit we can’t say for sure if it works or not! If the Stack height is only a little taller then Intel we will be in trouble and it would not be a suitable combo! With stack height I mean the height between the standoff’s and the top of the CPU, including Mobo PCB, socket and CPU.

I don't know the full stack height, but the measurement from the top of the mobo pcb to the top of the IHS on the cpu for Intel's LGA 115x socket is 7.781 ± 0.335 mm according to the first post here, and the corresponding measurement for AMD's AM4 socket seems to be at most around 7.75 mm according to this post. If this is correct, the measurements are more or less identical for both platforms, with the AM4 potentially being slightly lower, meaning that the Noctua L12 (the old non-S) should fit just as well with an AM4 platform in the S1.

D

Deleted member 4779

Time for the large CPU cooler test, we have a bunch of coolers ready, which ones should be included? 4 of each type is probably the right amount for a clean report. The units we have in the lab are listed below:

AIR:
  • Noctua HN-L9i Link
  • Noctua NH-L9x65 Link
  • Noctua NH-L12 Link
  • ZALMAN CNPS8900 Quiet Link
  • Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B + NF-A12x15 PWM Link, Fan
  • Cryorig C7 Link
  • ShadowRock LP + NF-A12x15 PWM Link, Fan

I would like to see:
  • L9x65
  • L12
  • Cryorig C7
  • Shadowrock LP

As these appear to be the only ones with readily available AM4 brackets if you are not going Intel or you cannot make the bracket yourself.

If there's some flexibility to add some additional coolers, I believe Thermalright's AXP-100 also meets the height limit, as well as ID-Cooling's 40, 50, and 60 models. However, I believe ID-Cooling will need to be imported from China or Taiwan, so it might not be worth the hassle to test them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
@PaChalski

Is the EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW going to shoehorn into the production cases?
I did watch the JayZ Youtube overview of the case where he tried to test fit his Kingpin card without success.
The Kingpin card does share exactly the same dimensions as the FTW card.
He then mentioned he'd dremel away the part of the case that was interfering with the card installation.
TBH it did look like it would fit easily with a small production tweak on your end.

Seeing as all the 2 1/2+ slot 1080ti's will not fit, this would be the the most powerful air cooled card you could shoehorn into the case and it would be a great boon for you to have support for it in the Ghost S1 ;)

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
...EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW...

...this would be the the most powerful air cooled card you could shoehorn into the case...

Not anymore...!

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
@PaChalski

Is the EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW going to shoehorn into the production cases?
I did watch the JayZ Youtube overview of the case where he tried to test fit his Kingpin card without success.
The Kingpin card does share exactly the same dimensions as the FTW card.
He then mentioned he'd dremel away the part of the case that was interfering with the card installation.
TBH it did look like it would fit easily with a small production tweak on your end.

Seeing as all the 2 1/2+ slot 1080ti's will not fit, this would be the the most powerful air cooled card you could shoehorn into the case and it would be a great boon for you to have support for it in the Ghost S1 ;)

We have made the adjustments manually to one of the units! Will be testing it on monday morning. And We totalt agree. The FTW3 is a clear team favorite so we are willing to do a lot to make it fit.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
That's Fantastic news, I hope it goes well for you and I really look forward to seeing some results from your testing frenzy on Monday :)

Last edited:
Reactions: PaChalski

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
One question though, was the NH-L12 fan set as intake or exhaust in the tests?

Intake (as in towards the cpu), because it performs worse in exhaust mode (as in towards the side panel) for a number of reasons, one likely being recirculation of warm air.

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
your l9X65 height is off, as well as (I believe) the ram compatibility on the c7 and l9x65, also if you have an average fan noise for the coolers I assume you can make a chart on the noise? Otherwise great numbers, thanks!

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
Does anyone have an idea for fitting a pump, res, and block into this case? it would be awesome if gpu compatibility wasn't sacrificed. presumably something like this? is there a res that could fit below the psu? I don't know much about water cooling but it would be cool if it was possible to fit a full custom loop (gpu, cpu) with just an L tophat.