Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Good suggestion! I think the latter is easier to do and "controll". We are focusing on other areas right now, filters is a current priority so there is limited time. If we were to do this, could we do it with 2 or 3 coolers to save some time? Which ones should we include then? Cryorig, L12 and Suriken?

Yup. I'd do those. L12, Big Shuriken, and C7. Those are fairly popular. NH-L9i is also a good pick to do.

Reactions: Biowarejak

edrenmarc

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2017
Out of curiousity, what are the possible mounting options for a 2.5 inch ssd without blocking airflow? Say if we were interested in utilizing that lower case fan/storage space for a 120mm fan, can a 2.5 ssd be placed elsewhere without using a top hat? Can it be mounted at the bottom grill below the motherboard/CPU cooler?

Are there additional photos of the top and bottom grills to see the available mounting points?

I understand the need to present many perfect renderings to show how the case will be with different setups, but more real photos would help to understand and plan out builds. Real photos of even the test mule would help convince more people to buy into the case. Just a matter of expectation vs reality.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Out of curiousity, what are the possible mounting options for a 2.5 inch ssd without blocking airflow? Say if we were interested in utilizing that lower case fan/storage space for a 120mm fan, can a 2.5 ssd be placed elsewhere without using a top hat? Can it be mounted at the bottom grill below the motherboard/CPU cooler?

Are there additional photos of the top and bottom grills to see the available mounting points?

I understand the need to present many perfect renderings to show how the case will be with different setups, but more real photos would help to understand and plan out builds. Real photos of even the test mule would help convince more people to buy into the case. Just a matter of expectation vs reality.

Currently there is no other mounting option than on the bottom underneath the GPU and partially PSU. You will however be able to place a 2.5" in front of the PSU, this is not supported by any current mounting solution - leaving some of the fun for you ;)

Regarding clarifying different build options and possibilities we will do a detailed build movie with the coming units where everything is explained in detail. We will also do a live stream during the kickstarter where we will answer questions with the case in front of us.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Not expecting this idea to launch with the Kickstarter but will there be a tophat in the future that'll be just a handle? I have potential plans of transporting this between places frequently.
Yes, we actually looked at a solution to mount the handle to the spine directly and just slap on another grill that would let the handle through. But it made it hard to open and close the case so it was disqualified. A TopHat solution is actually a much better solution, great suggestion!

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
When can we expect the kickstarter to go live?
Everything is lined up for the launch, we are waiting for the updated units before we can set everything in motion. That is the only thing that is out of our control at this point. We expect expect the new born Ghosts beginning of next week. They are actually made already and are currently being made beautiful, glass blasted and anodized.

Regarding the surface treatment, we literally fell in love with the the "natural" anodized version when we got the samples in our hands. It is a very special surface that is hard to describe, it is like nothing we have seen or felt before. White from some angles and light grey from other angles. The image gives you an idea.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Not fair, we need MORE!!! :cool:

We will very soon! But what would you say about swooping the white with this "almost white"? Understandably it is hard to answer without seeing it in it's full glory and preferably irl. The reasoning behind is this:

- One supplier that can make it white-white, poor negotiation position and more expensive than the other colors

- This only white can not be done matt, the finish is glossy and it takes away from the Ghosts fundamental design concept

- Painting is not an option, with the tough tolerance levels in the product, a layer of paint doesn't work and gives a less precise feeling

treos7

Case Bender
May 24, 2017
We will very soon! But what would you say about swooping the white with this "almost white"? Understandably it is hard to answer without seeing it in it's full glory and preferably irl. The reasoning behind is this:

- One supplier that can make it white-white, poor negotiation position and more expensive than the other colors

- This only white can not be done matt, the finish is glossy and it takes away from the Ghosts fundamental design concept

- Painting is not an option, with the tough tolerance levels in the product, a layer of paint doesn't work and gives a less precise feeling
Please keep it with a matte finish. If that means having an "off white" color, so be it.

yourflyisdwn

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2017

I was 100% going to get white but this is the first I'm hearing that it's not matt. I'd definitely prefer the "almost white" (after I see it of course) if it's matt, than the actual white glossy finish.

waitlist

Efficiency Noob
Sep 8, 2017
will the black be flat/matte black? Glossy surfaces turn me off because of fingerprints. Also scratches are much easily spotted.

I will probably move this case a lot and travel with it (put into and out from the bag a lot), so... scratches are unavoidable.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
I was 100% going to get white but this is the first I'm hearing that it's not matt. I'd definitely prefer the "almost white" (after I see it of course) if it's matt, than the actual white glossy finish.

We are expecting the delivery of the updated units mid next week, but no guarantees. Then we will be able to take more pictures and show you. One will be this "Natural white" to get a full feel of it.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
A few more pics please!
Also have you considered a cream colour instead?

We have considered many different colors. The fact that it is relatively easy and cost effective to change colors when anodizing aluminum has made our imaginations run free. But we have had to hold back and focus on colors you and I will most likely prefer to bring into our homes. The more exotic colors will be introduced as a next step.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
will the black be flat/matte black? Glossy surfaces turn me off because of fingerprints. Also scratches are much easily spotted.

I will probably move this case a lot and travel with it (put into and out from the bag a lot), so... scratches are unavoidable.

All colors are all ultra matt, only the white is not. An anodized surface is very strong. Many phones today use the exact same alloy and anodization (different blasting material), that should give you an idea of the scratch resistance. Basically it will be more durable than any painted case but not bomb proof.

KonradL

Minimal Tinkerer
May 2, 2017
www.fmv.se
If you want REALLY high scratch resistance you COULD do hard anodizing (>15 µm thickness, ISO 10074 or MIL-A-8625). It has that super nice matte black, but its MUCH more expensive.
Some finishes also depend on what kind of aluminum alloy is used, it can vary quite allot. I know AW-5005 is really nice for regular anodizing but its better to use AW-6101B if you plan on hard anodizing it. (AW-5005 works but micro cracks can form.) So even if you get the case raw (un-anodized) it may be a bad idea to try to hard anodize it (unless you know the alloy).

By the looks of the case parts it seems that you manufacture them by extrusion, it is super cool and i love that you are doing it, the way you assemble the case is really ingenious.

Sorry for being so nerdy about this, ill go back to my cave now. :D

Supercluster

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2016
Some extra info in case people are interested:

• The anodization (forced oxidation) of aluminium reinforces the aluminium(III) oxide layer, which forms naturally on exposed raw aluminium(and it's alloys), from 2-4 nanometers to 2-150 micrometers depending on the application.

• You will hardly see any electronic device enclosure with a layer above ~25 micrometers in thickness(any thicker is usually classified as hard anodization, which affects the look and more importantly the cost, the complexity and the yield of the treatment), with the more common thickness in the range of 5-10 micrometers.

• The oxide layer in not added to the surface, it is rather a diametrically opposing (in)growth process, which means that a coating of 10 micrometers adds 5 micrometers to the dimensions.

• In it's mineral form it (Al2O3) is called corundum, which, dependent on the opacity and colour(itself depending on the impurity- trace metals such as chromium, titanium, iron, etc.), is further classified as a gem(ruby, sapphire, etc.), making it second only to diamond on the, commonly referenced, Mohs scale of hardness(note that the absolute hardness of diamond is around 4 times greater than corundum).

• The oxide created via the most common DC current passivation is not as strong due to the physical properties of the surface. It does not form a solid mineral but rather a honeycomb-like porous structure which is comparable to hardened carbon steels(which in comparison are harder than stainless steels) in hardness. Being a mineral makes it electrically non-conductive with thermal conductivity in the range of 30-40 W/mK.

• This structure makes it very receptive to colouring(dyeing is the correct term) . The hexagonal pores are filled with dye and then sealed (commonly) by hot water dunking or being exposed to water steam.
The advantages of anodizing are as described:
  • Abrasion resistance.
  • Uniformity of the treated surface.
  • Electrical isolation.
  • Low to none tolerance requirements.
  • Moderate thermal conductivity.
The disadvantages are:
  • Low elastic modulus, making it susceptible to cracking and chipping but not peeling.
  • Susceptibility to thermal cracking due to the expansion and contraction of the underlying metal.
  • Limited applicability in the high temperature environments (commonly up to 80 degrees C).