Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I think a reversible/swappable front panel makes sense. Especially since Lone isn't pursuing that anymore. It gives you a few more SKU's, but shouldn't add too much cost or headache if you use standard front IO modules and button types (ie a Bulgin/Anti-Vandal Switch). Then you can have one with front IO and button, and one totally clean. Retain a single button mounting position in the back regardless so that the use can swap the front plate on a whim. :) Little more overhead to get there, but I think it stays within the modular spirit of this case.

I like your thinking and I guess you are proposing that we offer an alternative front gable, right?

We have looked at standard anti-vandal switches, in fact we have about 40 of them in the lab and some of them really have a nice quality feel to them but they pose a couple of problems:
- It is more or less impossible to get the colors to match the panels if alu-button is selected
- Stainless steel or black is an alternative
- They are bulky and steel space from other components, hdd tray or bottom case fan would not be possible to fit together with such a switch
- They simply don't look clean enough in our opinion, even when we sink them down into the panel (by milling a 1.5 mm countersink around the hole) they stand out in a nasty way and the final result doesn't feel as accomplished

But as an option for users that don't mind the drawbacks this could be a good solution.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Honestly the more I think about it, I really woundnt mind the pwr button on the back, i mean it is a really small case. In terms of the PWR LED, I think that can go to the back too, as in I get more information about my computer posting or not from the fans spinning and the rgb powering up, also if you were to leave the LED in the front that just makes more of a headache in terms of cable management, splitting the cables for pwr and the led from back to front. I say be bold, move them to the back!

Moving the LED to the back makes little sense, doesn't it? You would not see it there so the alternatives related to moving the pwr-switch to the back are probably:
- Leaving the LED in the front, maybe move it up again
- Removing the LED all together

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
How about if your case is on feet you put the button on the underside of the case along the front edge? Or how about the top of the case front edge, or even side of the case? It seems people don't want it visible on the front panel but some people don't want it on the rear either, you can never please everyone!

Reactions: bennyGrose

SeeFiFo

Average Stuffer
May 14, 2017
In my opinion, function should never be trumped by form; basic necessity functions like power button + power led should always be easily accessible and visible.

Reactions: Biowarejak

tecent

Chassis Packer
Aug 22, 2017
love the design of this case!
there is a rumor going around about 8700k releasing on 5th Oct.
Could you give any info about the release time of this beautiful case?

waitlist

Efficiency Noob
Sep 8, 2017
I sometime run my pc when i sleep. I always unplug all the LED on the power button on my other cases because they are too bright (when i sleep).

I would like to have the power button on the back and no led at all (Because I will end up unplug it)

To tell if the pc is on or not, I listen to the case. I don't think these case are ever completely silence.

zthan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 6, 2017
How about if your case is on feet you put the button on the underside of the case along the front edge? Or how about the top of the case front edge, or even side of the case? It seems people don't want it visible on the front panel but some people don't want it on the rear either, you can never please everyone!

I love the idea of underside power button with the LED in the front. I wouldn't mind it at the back panel either, I don't use the power button often, and the case is small so it wouldn't be too hard to reach, anything but front works for me, even if it's a slight convenience sacrifice, I think it'd be worth it.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Here is a picture of the prototype case, we managed to fit a NH-L 12 CPU cooler (bottom fan only) in it with no problem and it works like a dream. Dead quiet in our test rig even under load (i7 7700)!

The test report will be uploaded in a couple of hours.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
love the design of this case!
there is a rumor going around about 8700k releasing on 5th Oct.
Could you give any info about the release time of this beautiful case?
Soon! We will do some minor updates based on the tests of this unit and then produce a couple of units that will go to reviewers and then launch.

circlemeone

Efficiency Noob
Aug 30, 2017
It looks like the difference between the best cooling (large tophat) vs. the least (no tophat), is around 5 degrees with little noise difference.

Going by this alpha test, does the difference justify for different-sized hats?

I just wonder since I don't know how much 5 degrees would affect the longevity/performance of CPU and graphics card.

Reactions: PaChalski

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It looks like the difference between the best cooling (large tophat) vs. the least (no tophat), is around 5 degrees with little noise difference.

I just wonder since I don't know how much 5 degrees would affect the longevity/performance of CPU and graphics card.
They are not solely for cooling, though

Reactions: PaChalski

Brandonandon

Chassis Packer
Sep 17, 2017

I'm seeing a delta of about 10 degrees for CPU, that's pretty significant. Also you probably have far more headroom with the H100i. If the test were repeated with a 7700K overclocked to the max then we might see a bigger difference in regards to temperature and noise.

Edit: I guess if we're looking at average difference during gaming workloads (aka the benchmarks they tested), then you're right, it's more like 5-7.

bennyGrose

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2017
Below a link to the test results. Conservative fan settings with the focus on minimizing noise levels.

Test resultat Alpha prototype
Is there any particular reason you ran your tests using a 7700 instead of the 7700k? I know the NH L12 is rated for use with CPUs up to 95 TDP, and the 7700k has a 91 TDP, while the 7700 only has 65. Also, with being able to fit a h100i v2 overclocking becomes a real possibility.

P.S. With every new post and update I am getting more and more excited to buy this case!! And also I want to thank you for focusing on noise levels, I feel its often overlooked ("Uhhh why dont you just put gaming headphones on?") but is honestly one of the most important things I look at when considering to purchase a case.

Last edited:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017

These differences will likely differ with different CPU-cooler, the one used in this test was oriented in a way vertical air flow would do little difference. See image below:

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Is there any particular reason you ran your tests using a 7700 instead of the 7700k? I know the NH L12 is rated for use with CPUs up to 95 TDP, and the 7700k has a 91 TDP, while the 7700 only has 65. Also, with being able to fit a h100i v2 overclocking becomes a real possibility.

P.S. With every new post and update I am getting more and more excited to buy this case!! And also I want to thank you for focusing on noise levels, I feel its often overlooked ("Uhhh why dont you just put gaming headphones on?") but is honestly one of the most important things I look at when considering to purchase a case.

@bennyGrose Sorry for this, the CPU used in the test was the 7700k (TDP 91), NOT the 7700.

tecent

Chassis Packer
Aug 22, 2017
Excellent data presentation. May I suggest using LinX rather than Prime95 for synthetic CPU heavy workloads since LinX is more demanding and comparable to real-time 4K transcoding.

PS Being able to accommodate L12 cooler, that's something. This is a real advantage over cases that can only use the L9i.

Below a link to the test results. Conservative fan settings with the focus on minimizing noise levels.

Test resultat Alpha prototype

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Excellent data presentation. May I suggest using LinX rather than Prime95 for synthetic CPU heavy workloads since LinX is more demanding and comparable to real-time 4K transcoding.

PS Being able to accommodate L12 cooler, that's something. This is a real advantage over cases that can only use the L9i.

Yes, the L12 is indeed a nice cooler and especially suitable for cases where it "barely" fits. A plus is the extra fan as mentioned:

bennyGrose

Chassis Packer
Sep 10, 2017
Yes, the L12 is indeed a nice cooler and especially suitable for cases where it "barely" fits. A plus is the extra fan as mentioned:

Sorry for asking so many questions!, but I'm curious, with the cooler coming so close to the side panel did you experience any of the 'turbulence' noise issues that have plagued other cases when the fan is too close to the side panel? (I'm thinking about the cryorig c7 in the dan case) Did you experience this anywhere else in the case? Like in the L tophat with the h100i v2. With different size radiators and such I think this may be something to start considering.

Lastly, for the top panel on the XS, why do the ventilation holes extend all the way out to the edges of the panel? I may be alone on this but I would love to hear what the community thinks about this design choice. Personally, I dont really like it, I think it lets me see too much into the top of the case and also gives the appearance that that top panel is not sturdy (even if I know it structurally is, the appearance isn't reassuring) Again I could be totally alone on this one, would love to hear what others think!