Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Rinzler

Cable Smoosher
Oct 5, 2018
We have close to the same build and I haven't had any problems with my 7700K not being good enough feeding the 2080ti at 1440p. Is your 7700K delidded? I'm hoping I can get close to 5ghz with the nh-l12s and 120mm noctua fan installed as my 7700K does 5ghz stable at low vcore.

Yes it's delidded, but I only currently run the cpu at 4.8, no crazy clock just because I don't play heavy games. Heaviest game I play is bf1 and will get bf5 at some point. If this is the case and that's what you get, I should just put my budget towards better gpu & better cooling.

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
Thank you for the info, helps me narrow down on were I can spend the money. So with you saying this, put buget towards new gpu and watercool or aio the build?
You don't have to aio your build. You have a 7700K so you can easily get high clocks with tweaks and even using a high wattage gpu like the 2080ti temps won't be a problem. 8700K delidded would be great as well, but not worth the jump from the 7700K.

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
Yes it's delidded, but I only currently run the cpu at 4.8, no crazy clock just because I don't play heavy games. Heaviest game I play is bf1 and will get bf5 at some point. If this is the case and that's what you get, I should just put my budget towards better gpu & better cooling.
I would definitely put my money towards a better gpu, but wouldn't say the 2080ti has been a great buy for me(on my third RMA), so would probably look at another alternative depending on your budget. I'm mostly playing BF5 now (currently using my Dan Case) and it runs great.

Rinzler

Cable Smoosher
Oct 5, 2018
I would definitely put my money towards a better gpu, but wouldn't say the 2080ti has been a great buy for me(on my third RMA), so would probably look at another alternative depending on your budget. I'm mostly playing BF5 now (currently using my Dan Case) and it runs great.

From what you said & another, I'll stick with the i7 and put the $700 I get from selling my atx setup towards better gpu most likely 1080 or 1080ti and if I have money left over will go towards better cooling like aio or more storage.

Rinzler

Cable Smoosher
Oct 5, 2018
You don't have to aio your build. You have a 7700K so you can easily get high clocks with tweaks and even using a high wattage gpu like the 2080ti temps won't be a problem. 8700K delidded would be great as well, but not worth the jump from the 7700K.

If you don't mind me asking what is your specs on clock? Voltages etc?

enthusiast uk

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
Thank you for the info, helps me narrow down on were I can spend the money. So with you saying this, put buget towards new gpu and watercool or aio the build?

I would say get a 1080ti if the price is still good. I saw some good deals on it before the holidays. As for CPU I was just reading about the new ryzen systems coming out next year. I would wait for those as an 8core cpu (ryzen 5) with boost to 5ghz sounds damn good for around $250. Granted you will need to buy a new motherboard as well. These speeds and prices are still rumors so don't hold any stock in it till they officially release the stats.

Rinzler

Cable Smoosher
Oct 5, 2018
I would say get a 1080ti if the price is still good. I saw some good deals on it before the holidays. As for CPU I was just reading about the new ryzen systems coming out next year. I would wait for those as an 8core cpu (ryzen 5) with boost to 5ghz sounds damn good for around $250. Granted you will need to buy a new motherboard as well. These speeds and prices are still rumors so don't hold
any stock in it till they officially release the stats.

Coo, thanks for the info. Doesn't matter on MB if I decided to go to 87 or 99k's I'll need new mb. I just bought the z270I right when I bought the case because my orginal plan was to just keep my 7700k but with new cpu's that came out etc thought I could try and upgrade. But with not much of difference if it's game 1st & little to medium task then yeah why upgrade when I can put that money towards upping my gpu

leecm

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2018
Is there a good mobo that would work with my 4790k? I'm thinking that may be the best option for me right now if I can do it. Not wanting to upgrade my whole system quite yet but would like to build in the Ghost when I receive it.

Edit - After reviewing the motherboard available for my socket, it may just be better to upgrade everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanook

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Is there a good mobo that would work with my 4790k? I'm thinking that may be the best option for me right now if I can do it. Not wanting to upgrade my whole system quite yet but would like to build in the Ghost when I receive it.

Edit - After reviewing the motherboard available for my socket, it may just be better to upgrade everything.
Or you just buy a used motherboard for not much. And then upgrade your entire system at summer when and goes to 7nm. Or you wait for Intel at next Christmas. That for sure worth it.

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017

You can try find a VII Impact, but they're pretty hard to come by

Reactions: leecm

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
If you don't mind me asking what is your specs on clock? Voltages etc?
At the moment my Dan case is a Frankenstein monster with a nh-l12 sticking out the side and no panels at all. I haven't really tweaked anything yet. Bios update screwed my ram and I had back down to 3200 mhz from 4000mhz on my z270i strix (Thank you Intel)
I will be tweaking it probably later tonight if everything goes by plan. Changing out the nh-l12 that is currently on to a nh-l12s to get that 120mm fan in there and hopefully a little better temps as well. Currently only waiting for my custom silver cables from pslate.

leecm

Caliper Novice
Oct 2, 2018
Asrock Z97E-ITX/ac fits the nh-l12 for sure. I have one on an 4790K inside a Silverstone sg05-lite
Thanks. It looks like I can get that one for cheaper on ebay as well. I'll have to get 2x8GB of ram as well, as I just remembered I'm running 4x4gb in my system currently. Looks like that'll be another ~$80. Still better than upgrading my entire system when I don't really need to.

Reactions: enricko7

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
Thanks. It looks like I can get that one for cheaper on ebay as well. I'll have to get 2x8GB of ram as well, as I just remembered I'm running 4x4gb in my system currently. Looks like that'll be another ~$80. Still better than upgrading my entire system when I don't really need to.
4790K is still a very worthy cpu and keeps up with the newest cpus' in games.