Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
It's a bit of a shame Patrik has chosen not to be totally forthright about the causes of all the problems that have plagued this project, though I kind of understand why he wouldn't want to be. From what I've gleaned, I would bet money that it comes down to: 1) Louqe is really just Patrik handling everything (no "team" to speak of at this point); and 2) money/cashflow problems (at least partly due to Paypal withholding money). Those two things alone would explain 90% of the poor communication, delays, and shipping issues.

If this is basically accurate, then he's probably been afraid that if he let on that the project was hanging by a thread, people would start pulling out in droves - ensuring its failure. He surely knows that if he can just weather through the worst of it, he can still pull out a win. Fortunately, now with people finally getting their cases it seems like it should be smoother sailing going forward.
Had no idea it was only Patrik doing it all by himself.. Thought Louqe had a bunch of guys working on this project.
The money issue is what I've been suspecting all along, but seems like he is doing everything to get this case out to people, even with all the weird hiccups. Hopefully he can continue going with the case.

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
Please don`t forget that only about 50% of the cases are received or on the way somewhere before making a final summary.
I´m still afraid that this project dies before it is completed.
Exactly! this has me worried as well. I do believe every case will be shipped eventually, but it seems to me they are still very much producing the cases and that's probably why the wait?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Had no idea it was only Patrik doing it all by himself.. Thought Louqe had a bunch of guys working on this project.
Well, let me be clear that that isn't something I know for a fact - it's just what I've gathered from second hand info through backchannels, along with my own observations. I could well be wrong about it. My impression is that there were at least some other people involved earlier on during development, but that they probably aren't participating in any active role at this point. Edit: I was wrong.

What is pretty clear is that Patrik wants to give the impression that there's a team behind Louqe - no doubt to give it the appearance of a more professional operation.

Honestly, I'm probably speculating more than I should here, and I'm wary of seeming like I'm casting aspersions towards Louqe/Patrik. I do however think that it actually paints him in a better light - and would cause people to be more sympathetic - were this the case and he was honest about it.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Also, yeah... if he's having to take new orders to cover shipping on the current orders due to lack of funds... eh. I sure don't envy him if that's the case. Very tough position to be in. Gotta do what you gotta do, though.

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
Well, let me be clear that that isn't something I know for a fact - it's just what I've gathered from second hand info through backchannels, along with my own observations. I could well be wrong about it. My impression is that there were at least some other people involved earlier on during development, but that they probably aren't participating in any active role at this point.

What is pretty clear is that Patrik wants to give the impression that there's a team behind Louqe - no doubt to give it the appearance of a more professional operation.

Honestly, I'm probably speculating more than I should here, and I'm wary of seeming like I'm casting aspersions towards Louqe/Patrik. I do however think that it actually paints him in a better light - and would cause people to be more sympathetic - were this the case and he was honest about it.

He's not. I've personally talked to three different people at Louqe.

Also, yeah... if he's having to take new orders to cover shipping on the current orders due to lack of funds... eh. I sure don't envy him if that's the case. Very tough position to be in. Gotta do what you gotta do, though.

Not sure where you're getting this from. Louqe received VC backing a while ago.

Reactions: Sldr

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
The thing is, I'm not sure I have much great insight to share, at least on the manufacturing side. By going with an established case manufacturer like Lian Li, we could skip all of the most challenging aspects of setting up production overseas. QC, parts suppliers, packaging - all of that was basically taken care of for us. We're actually very fortunate Lian Li existed at all, because there really aren't any other manufacturers that can produce at scale while still using low production volume manufacturing methods that don't require big upfront costs. Everyone else uses high volume methods (die stamping etc.) that requires tooling that can run a quarter million USD or more just for one case model. If we had to go that route, we'd never have gotten off the ground.

Really, the best insights I have to offer are on the project development side and the importance of doing community engagement well in advance of any crowdfunding campaign. I know we would never have been successful if we'd gone stealth mode during development, only to show up one day out of the blue with a Kickstarter like so many do. That awareness and support we got during the early days on hardforum was absolutely essential.
Ok but i think that you can agree with the fact that if out of the manufacturers that you involved in the sampling, you select the one that had the most delays (4) you are actually asking for it...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
He's not. I've personally talked to three different people at Louqe.
Okay, good to know. I guess my impression was wrong then.

Not sure where you're getting this from. Louqe received VC backing a while ago.
From the post immediately preceding mine. I mean, it had occurred to me previously, too, but that post reminded me.

If they did get VC funding (adequate to cover costs), that really prompts one to wonder why they seem to be having all these issues people are reporting with shipping, which seem like measures to control costs (e.g., drop off locations for European addresses, instead of direct delivery).

zhnu

Caliper Novice
Dec 31, 2017
The thing is, I'm not sure I have much great insight to share, at least on the manufacturing side. By going with an established case manufacturer like Lian Li, we could skip all of the most challenging aspects of setting up production overseas. QC, parts suppliers, packaging - all of that was basically taken care of for us. We're actually very fortunate Lian Li existed at all, because there really aren't any other manufacturers that can produce at scale while still using low production volume manufacturing methods that don't require big upfront costs. Everyone else uses high volume methods (die stamping etc.) that requires tooling that can run a quarter million USD or more just for one case model. If we had to go that route, we'd never have gotten off the ground.

Really, the best insights I have to offer are on the project development side and the importance of doing community engagement well in advance of any crowdfunding campaign. I know we would never have been successful if we'd gone stealth mode during development, only to show up one day out of the blue with a Kickstarter like so many do. That awareness and support we got during the early days on hardforum was absolutely essential.

I'm just saying it would be nice to have a compilation of experiences so that new comers avoid the same mistakes, by now you managed to optimize some parts of the design, marketing, community handling and tough process on product development even if you use an big OEM like lian li is still nice to look behind the curtain and know how things are handled.
Btw I always wondered why nobody used this guys -> http://www.abee.co.jp/Product/index.html#case they seem to use some of the same lian li techniques.

Reactions: Nanook

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Btw I always wondered why nobody used this guys -> http://www.abee.co.jp/Product/index.html#case they seem to use some of the same lian li techniques.
Abee makes some nice looking cases for sure. There was another company that preceded them called Soldam (or Soldam Windy - the names changed over time I think) who made very similar cases to Abee and that I lusted after for a time. I don't think any of these ever had a presence outside of Japan though, so they were pretty expensive to import. Also expensive to begin with, so unlikely to be cost competitive with Lian Li. Also they lack some niceties like the stud-and-clips for the toolless side panels LL uses.

Reactions: Nanook

zhnu

Caliper Novice
Dec 31, 2017
Abee makes some nice looking cases for sure. There was another company that preceded them called Soldam (or Soldam Windy - the names changed over time I think) who made very similar cases to Abee and that I lusted after for a time. I don't think any of these ever had a presence outside of Japan though, so they were pretty expensive to import. Also expensive to begin with, so unlikely to be cost competitive with Lian Li. Also they lack some niceties like the stud-and-clips for the toolless side panels LL uses.

I think the cube they build uses a clipping system but it's plastic if I'm not mistaken, the main advantage I see over lian li is that they do other odd ends in aluminum so I imagine they can also do custom parts that aren't necessarily essential to the case (like custom water blocks for example) I dont know soldam but I will look them up in the archives, thanks for the tip.

Leo

Chassis Packer
Dec 1, 2017
Yea Lian-Li are probably great to work with and it really calls into question if the whole venture of going for an "Extruded Aluminium" case was worth the risk for Louqe's first case. Definitely a massive undertaking.

I have to agree about Patrik. There is nothing that gives me an impression that he isn't of good character. Sure there are issues that are really piling on and on...but the cases are shipped, how it proceeds after, that idk...

Great video featuring Lian-Li and the Ncase M1.

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018
So after taking a 15min uber to my "local pickup point" I ran into a new issue that I'm curious if anyone else has had. I live in the UK and my local delivery is coming from DPD so when I print out the pick up form I notice the name on the package is someone else's name (i think someone from louqe team).

This opened up a new can of worms as the pharmacy that the package was delivered to didn't want to release the package to me as it had someone else's name on the pickup sheet. It should be noted that my name was on the physical box with the pharmacy's address. This looks to be a miscommunication between postnord and DPD and wanted to know if anyone else had this issue.

It took me 30 mins or arguing with them before they would let me take the package. Overall terrible experience. The only saving grace is that when I opened the box my case was luckily undamaged.

One a QC note has anyone had issue with their top magnet panel not sitting flush after the pc has been fully assembled. I'd rather not use the screws to hold it flat but the front left corner is slightly raised.

Let you know next week when I get back into the country

Reactions: enthusiast uk

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2017
Some people on the Ghost Slack have been sharing screenshots of replies from Patrik on mails they have sent days ago - this fills my heart with hope and I really do want to believe everything will work out in the end, maybe I'll just see my case after all!

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2017
Will be curious to see your glass side panel solution for the Ghost. I already have mine. Your Dan panels look pretty awesome.

I'll be sure to create a thread here with a gazillion pictures. Thanks for the comment!

Seid Dark

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
I have to give Louqe some credit, they answered my second batch refund request in a couple of days. They have been swamped with emails from angry customers so I was surprised that the process was so fast.

Reactions: Alexander

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2017
Shipments are going a bit faster now, the Slack is full of people receiving shipments and tracking details, and a couple have received their case too.

TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE
We are still catching up with the mail storm that has lately been happening. We have been receiving fewer questions concerning the areas we addressed in the previous Q&A mail send out. They concerned tracking numbers, partial deliveries and manuals. We thank you for that!

Fulfilment progress again, we are seeing a lot of movement right now which is positive. We see both EU and Direct shipments really moving quickly now. The current status of the different shipment batches is the following:

US: 98% sent of 520 orders
Direct: 49% sent of 610 orders
EU: 75% sent of 975 orders

Last edited:
Reactions: Skarum

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I have to give Louqe some credit, they answered my second batch refund request in a couple of days. They have been swamped with emails from angry customers so I was surprised that the process was so fast.

Oh that gives me hope! I very sadly sent my cancellation email this morning after seeing all of the QA issues that continue showing up... I just can't justify the price tag until they get their manufacturing figured out.