Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
Also, you all may be curious to know, LOUQE let me know that "The sales (Round 2) will end when and if we sell the entire second order volume, currently 23% of it has been sold". I received this email on Monday (more will have been sold since).

Kinda big information there - seems Round 2 has a sizable MoQ. I wonder what they'll decide to do if Round 2 doesn't reach the second order volume needed

Reactions: Beardedswede

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
Thanks to everyone who answered my questions from the previous post. Some info below that might help others looking to buy:

I was really tempted to join Round 2 and then reanodize my case, since I'm set on having a case that is coloured grey (similar to the anthracite grey that Phanteks offers). I actually emailed LOUQE, who very professionally responded very quickly. Pretty much they informed me that it would be very difficult to disassemble the panels so that they can be reanodized: "The side panels and gables have helicoils as threads and the gables have pressed in magnets, disassembling the helicoils is possible with a special tool but removing the magnets will be very tricky."

Knowing this, I've decided it's not worth the effort/risk to try this myself. I suggested to LOUQE that they consider adding a grey version in future runs, and they acknowledged this suggestion in their response, citing that grey has been a popular request. I'd be quick to buy one if this happens in the future, but for now I won't spend this much money on a case that's not exactly what I want.

Also, you all may be curious to know, LOUQE let me know that "The sales (Round 2) will end when and if we sell the entire second order volume, currently 23% of it has been sold". I received this email on Monday (more will have been sold since).

FWIW I have been told by two Cerakote companies that they can refinish the case to any color you want as long you as you can remove the power LED (and likely button).

Rander

Cable Smoosher
Jun 24, 2018
Dear Community, I'm new to PC building and have selected my components for the build. I'm looking to do 1440p gaming mostly, and was wondering if there's anything overkill/insufficient, or if this build would work at all ? Particularly with the Asus Z390i, it has a big heatsink, would it interfere with the Noctua L12 ? Thank you for your help
My Build:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12 37.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-I GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive + Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Videocard: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 TURBO 8GB Video Card (blower style)
Powersupply: Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Extra Fan: Noctua L12 120mm fan below the PSU

Hello!

I'm planning a similar build, so I'm reading carefully all the advices given to you :)

Also, I have extra questions:
With a M2 SSD aat the back of the motherboard... do you recommend to install a heatsink like this one? It will fit properly on a narrow case like the Ghost or Dan A4?

Thanks to all.

Bye,
Rander.

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018

It was said that Batch 2 would be a smaller run, which made me go as far as setting an alarm on my phone for the minute Batch 2 opened up for ordering... I know others shared a similar level of excitement, but if those excited people (myself included) only accounted for 23% of the order volume... I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me a little nervous.

Tech_Guy

Caliper Novice
Oct 15, 2018
Patrik Michalski was on Slack today and answer on some questions.

ETA Estimates on Slack dissapear for the dates are not correct longer.

US Shipment on Track.

EU Shipment will come to the distrubition center next week they belived but not shure if it get shipped then, need to wait and see.

Directs will begin to ship next week.

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
They've sold roughly 500 cases so far so their MOQ is likely 2000 units. Something's a bit off-putting about taking orders for a second batch before receiving feedback on the first. Hopefully they'll make adjustments before production and then relay those changes to customers.
(Edited to be a bit less dramatic)

Why? 99% of businesses aren’t going to change a product after the first batch if its already been in design for over a year and a half.

Last edited:

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
You'll see...

When you get a product like this into the hands of many people, all the little quirks and incompatibilities and unexpected issues suddenly appear. It's why every other indie case has waited a bit between runs.

Even those cases took more than a year and a half to design, that doesn't mean anything.

I understand being defensive, you're financially invested, but history repeats itself and no one is perfect. Especially in manufacturing.

Also, there isn't anything malicious in their rush to produce a second batch (at least I hope not!), but they are very likely trying to get an order in before all of China's factories shut down for a month in February. They have a very narrow window now due to delays in the first batch, and losing the opportunity to incorporate tooling changes based on user feedback is the consequence.

I’m not being defensive; it’s absurd to claim it’s “off-putting” that they’re taking orders for a second batch. They’ve already had dozens of revisions in the design. At some point you have to just ship the damn thing.

Did NZXT revamp the H440 a month after release?

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
They've had dozens of prototypes. They have shipped it, but the issue is shipping the second batch so soon after the first. This is off-putting for all the reasons I've laid out in my post. I'm trying to make an appeal to logic based on experience, both personal (in my career) and from other indie case makers.

I’m an industrial designer so I’m well versed in the world of prototyping and manufacturing.

Logically, a business is not going to revise the design a month after shipping the first batch. That makes no sense for any manufacturer that’s larger than a single person.

Last edited:

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
That's why they should have waited for feedback. So they can make changes that will inevitably be requested. Why are you ignoring that?

People have been requesting changes in the Slack for over a year, and most have been implemented. You’re missing the fact that some people have been waiting for this case since April 2017.

Many people who have been around since just after the ending of the Kickstarter (almost a year ago now) didn’t even get their orders placed in the first batch. So you want Louqe to delay the second batch for who knows how many more months?

Flyingpepper

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 8, 2018
Yes, a responsible company that is transparent and open to feedback would definitely wait. That is exactly my point. People waited for years for other indie cases as well, I remember that too! Take a step back and think about it for a minute. It's pretty logical.

It’s pretty logical that a company wouldn’t wait after a single small production run before altering their design that’s only been out for a month.

For a single guy in his garage making cases, sure. A business with multiple people and VC backing? That’s ridiculous.

And yes plenty of indie cases here do multiple runs before changing a single thing.

Edit to your edit:

Edit: Upon check your post history, I realize I'm interacting with either a troll or just a very unpleasant person. I apologize to everyone for getting caught up in this conversation.

I’m a troll because I strongly disagree with the forum’s position on a very clear replica of the Ghost S1? Sheesh. You come in here out of nowhere saying you’re “off-put” by a second run though. Alright then.

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
Something's a bit off-putting about taking orders for a second batch before receiving feedback on the first. Hopefully they'll make adjustments before production and then relay those changes to customers.
(Edited to be a bit less dramatic)

When you get a product like this into the hands of many people, all the little quirks and incompatibilities and unexpected issues suddenly appear. It's why every other indie case has waited a bit between runs.

I'm sure if there are any changes to be made (which, as you said, is likely), they won't be more than just minor tweaks. Certainly nothing that would make any customer who ordered the case based on their first production feel misled, so I don't see a problem with them taking orders for the second batch. They'd have to be really stupid to change something major.

(Note that I am also a troll based on your definition.)