Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
They've also been working on this for at least a year-probably more. The first Kickstarter came out in April of last year and they've been refining it ever since then. That's not to say that more improvements couldn't be made, but they've had several prototypes made and have sent some of those to reviewers to get their opinion.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
@Nanook, @Hifihedgehog : Both of you are missing one aspect Intel TIM. The 8700k use TIM and the 9900k is soldered that makes the difffence. If both CPUs are soldered or using TIM (like 7700k vs 8700k) you are right but not with this important difference.

A little example:

Intel i7 5820K (6 cores 12 threads) 140W TDP SOLDERED
Intel i7 7700k (4 cores 12 threads) 95W DTP TIM

It is easier to cool the 140W 5820K than the 7700k. I tested it with an Thermalright AXP100 on both CPUs. In the old Prime95 version without AVX the 5820K reached 70-75°C while the 7700K reached 85-90°C.

So a soldered CPU works on the same level as dellided CPU. The advantage is 15-20°C.
The new 9900K will be a great step for SFF because it will bring us back to the Sandy Bridge age. I think a 9900K will be coolable with an L9i and will reach 80-90°C in Prime95 and 70-80 in games & software.

TDP:
The real TDP will depend on the board you will use. Modern boards allow the CPU to run the max turbo on all cores this results in a much higher TDP between 120-150W. You can check that with running Prime95 and read the TDP in CoreTemp. Only if you setup Max Power Duration to 95W you will run the CPU on default specs. For example it doesn't matter if you buy 8700 (65W) or 8700K (95W) on default configuration the max clock difference on all cores is only 100Mhz and also the TDP is the nearly the same. Theoretical it is "easy" to cool an 8700 with the L9i if you limit the "Max Power Duration" to 65W.
Thanks for the thorough and logical explanation, covering core count, TIM vs soldering, and motherboards automatically overclocking (Multi Core Enhancement, and turbo up to 130w) my 6700K and 8700K. Both with Asus motherboards: Strix Z270i and Strix Z370i respectively.

From my experience, I had a harder time taming the 8700K vs the 6700K. Both 95w TDP. You can see why I’m skeptical to the new claims of 95w TDP for the 9900K. Having said all that, I’m still getting the 9900K when it comes out as I am still running CPU based renderings, and higher core count scales so nicely for my work.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Thanks for the thorough and logical explanation, covering core count, TIM vs soldering, and motherboards automatically overclocking (Multi Core Enhancement, and turbo up to 130w) my 6700K and 8700K. Both with Asus motherboards: Strix Z270i and Strix Z370i respectively.

From my experience, I had a harder time taming the 8700K vs the 6700K. Both 95w TDP. You can see why I’m skeptical to the new claims of 95w TDP for the 9900K. Having said all that, I’m still getting the 9900K when it comes out as I am still running CPU based renderings, and higher core count scales so nicely for my work.
You can always undervolt and lower the target TDP to suit, but I just strongly feel that Intel pushed their luck with the aggressive all-core turbo they are targeting is all.

My problem is this. They cannot go to where they have gone compared to other Skylake-based cores without increasing voltage and power to meet the increased demands of the added cores and increased frequency. As it is, Coffee Lake with stock can only reach 4.3 GHz for all-core turbo across six cores.

Given this, I would have naturally understood them dropping down the all-core turbo by a couple hundred megahertz for the added cores. Or even in a more idealistic scenario, they could push for more cores at the same all-core turbo, though this is less likely.

But adding more cores at a far higher all-core turbo across eight cores means even more power no matter how many ways you try cutting it.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
From my experience, I had a harder time taming the 8700K vs the 6700K. Both 95w TDP. You can see why I’m skeptical to the new claims of 95w TDP for the 9900K.

@Nanook, @Hifihedgehog : If both CPUs are soldered or using TIM (like 7700k vs 8700k) you are right but not with this important difference.

Furthermore every CPU is different even on the same voltage. If you buy 10 x 8700k some chips will generate more heat and some less. It depens on wafer quality, silicon quality and factory heatspreader attachment.

Ouija

Case Bender
Sep 5, 2018
Can anyone tell if it's possible to fit an SFX-L PSU along with a 120mm bottom fan? It's difficult to tell if that's a valid configuration based on the specification PDF on louqe.com. Thanks!

FoxTrotl_Alpha

Trash Compacter
Aug 11, 2018
Can anyone tell if it's possible to fit an SFX-L PSU along with a 120mm bottom fan? It's difficult to tell if that's a valid configuration based on the specification PDF on louqe.com. Thanks!

I dont think so. If You open the Heatsink PDF, there is a picture with a 25mm thick fan and a SFX(not L) psu and there is barely any space for cables.

Rolling9Deep

Caliper Novice
Sep 5, 2018
Exciting that you guys are receiving your cases soon... I'll periodically keep refreshing the LOQUE page, looking for an option to buy.

Over the last few weeks I've been doing my youtube and forum research on my next build. (Current machine is an air cooled i2500K with a 980 GTX TI, originally built in Jan, 2011 inside a micro-atx Silverstone FT03.)

Thinking of doing an air-cooled GTX1080TI intel 9th generation build with either a DAN A4-SFX case or LOUQE case. Any thoughts of which 1080 GTX TI I should be hunting for? The build will be used for gaming (1440P) and video work. I'm cool with going the AMD route as well. Any thoughts? (I'd like to go with air cooling as I plan to be flying a fair amount with it as carry on.) Are any of you planning on doing an air-cooled system? What's the plan? If you are going the air-cooled route, what sized top hat are you planning on buying to accommodate your hardware?

Cheers,

Howdy

Chassis Packer
Mar 30, 2018
flying a fair amount with it as carry on

By the way, I emailed TSA about flying with a closed loop water cooler and received this response:

"After reviewing your inquiry, the item in question is generally permitted in carry-on or checked baggage"

I think it is fine so long as it is sealed within the system. Now I have yet to actually try to fly with it so in reality it may play out quite differently but at least officially they are allowed.

Rolling9Deep

Caliper Novice
Sep 5, 2018
By the way, I emailed TSA about flying with a closed loop water cooler and received this response:

"After reviewing your inquiry, the item in question is generally permitted in carry-on or checked baggage"

I think it is fine so long as it is sealed within the system. Now I have yet to actually try to fly with it so in reality it may play out quite differently but at least officially they are allowed.

Hey Howdy,

Thanks for the information, however:

When flying, have you thought about pressure changes causing issues with a closed loop water cooler?

Howdy

Chassis Packer
Mar 30, 2018
Hey Howdy,

Thanks for the information, however:

When flying, have you thought about pressure changes causing issues with a closed loop water cooler?

No problem! I have looked around and seems the consensus online is that it won't be a problem in any pressurized cabin. Wish I could find some information to back that up. I believe the thinking is that the pressure changes are not extreme within the cabin and that coolers probably need to be shipped by airplane at some point and are designed to withstand pressure changes while shipping.

Reactions: Biowarejak

zacobin

Trash Compacter
Oct 31, 2017
Update from this morning on slack:

Takeaways from factory visit

We have spent a couple of days in the factory and overlooked the production. We caught a couple of quality issues that are being addressed and that will be corrected before shipping.

- off center box graphics

- Poor stickiness in rubber feet

- A few units with imperfections in aluminum components

According to the factory these corrections will not affect the delivery schedule, but we will have to see it to believe it. Overall the quality is very high, and component fit together like a dream.

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
air shipping will take 48hr
They will ship them in uk, go through customs and then to us.
They were the one to say that it would have taken 3 weeks.

Btw thinking that 48h are enough to ship a case from taiwan to your door is pure madness

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
They will ship them in uk, go through customs and then to us.
They were the one to say that it would have taken 3 weeks.

Btw thinking that 48h are enough to ship a case from taiwan to your door is pure madness

Only cases going to the EU are going to the UK Warehouse. This adds time to their shipping, but I think 48hr air shipping is still viable to US customers.