Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
SFFLAB and SFFN are completely separate, so confusis is not the person to ask.

I spoke with PaChalski a few times, we are waiting for the first batch to be sent before exploring collaboration.

We prefer to have unique variants for SFFLAB in general, so a unique Ghost variant is preferred.

I have reviewed the CAD, I prefer some changes in the design, in which case, it’s probably better for us to manufacture this collaborated variant than their current factory (and no it’s will not be done at Lian Li).
Oh curious what changes you want to make to it..

Bangle

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 12, 2018
SFFLAB and SFFN are completely separate, so confusis is not the person to ask.

I spoke with PaChalski a few times, we are waiting for the first batch to be sent before exploring collaboration.

We prefer to have unique variants for SFFLAB in general, so a unique Ghost variant is preferred.

I have reviewed the CAD, I prefer some changes in the design, in which case, it’s probably better for us to manufacture this collaborated variant than their current factory (and no it’s will not be done at Lian Li).

Only question on this is import duty liability. I almost bought a Ncase a few years back, but held off as in addition to $195+$40 postage (I think about £200 at the time), i would have been liable for import duties (+20% [£40]). I believe currently if you are in the EU ordering direct from Louqe through their website means that there's no import duty liability, as technically you are buying the case from inside the EU? Louqe pay the duty based on the manufacturing cost?

Reactions: Beardedswede

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Only question on this is import duty liability. I almost bought a Ncase a few years back, but held off as in addition to $195+$40 postage (I think about £200 at the time), i would have been liable for import duties (+20% [£40]). I believe currently if you are in the EU ordering direct from Louqe through their website means that there's no import duty liability, as technically you are buying the case from inside the EU? Louqe pay the duty based on the manufacturing cost?
Probably thats the case. It's very kind/smart from Loque, Not many smaller companies does that.
Yeah no Tax for the Ghost s1 when buying it from them, at least the kickstarter backers.

Reactions: lawney

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
With the ryzen 2700x you may need a pair of regular 120mm fans, top mounted. The 2700x is a 105w TDP part and noctua only recommend using the L12 in a case with good ventilation. I know the case is well vented, but even minimal increases in airflow can significantly improve cooling. I doubt a 2700x with the L12(92mm) fan will be able to handle encoding/rendering work loads. Gaming may be, but it will run hot. I have a 1700x, couple of noctua A12x25 fans, and i've just received my L12. At 800 - 1,100 rpm the noctua A12 fans are silent to dead quite on my current AIO. So i'm going to run them at this speed with a medium tophat, when gaming, and off when general usage. Whilst Louqe's charts on different tophat configs (page 1 of this thread) shows peak temps to be roughly the same between no tophat and a medium tophat with fans, the average temps are somewhat lower, and the peak fan speeds are also somewhat lower too. So running top mounted fans will probably reduce overall system noise when the system gets a full workout.

My slight concern is that the 92mm fan on the L12 doesn't cover about 20 - 25% of the heatsink, so the effective cooling of the L12 is significantly reduced. So having top mounted fans will at least provide some airflow to be top of the heatsink.

just my 2 cents.

Hi, and thanks for reply! Do you reckon the 'recipe' Dan from Dancase posted here would be of benefit if i was to cool the Ryzen woth an L12? Would I lose a lot of performance?

There is an easy way to reduce temperatures to ~10°C. Open uefi go under voltage regulation. Configure voltage controll to "offset mode" and enter -0.06V. Test if your system is stable if yes reduce the value. I think maximum could be -0.125V. This depend on the quality of your CPU.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Hi, and thanks for reply! Do you reckon the 'recipe' Dan from Dancase posted here would be of benefit if i was to cool the Ryzen woth an L12? Would I lose a lot of performance?

Which Ryzen? 2700X?

I have a Noctua L12 on i9-7900X to approximate cooling for the upcoming i9-9900K (95W-130W at load). I have *not delid because I don't want to void my warranty, I'm having issues hitting full turbo on single core, and having all sort of thermal issues even with side panel off.

You might be get better results with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2.

New CPU + GPU are 15% to 30% hotter / higher TDP. SFF air coolers have stayed the same. Not just the Ghost/A4/Thor, all sub 10L cases are going to be struggle in both thermals and noise. If you are ok with more volume, get a top hat and go for 240 AIO / Full Loop.

Reactions: lawney

deadline

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 9, 2018
Which Ryzen? 2700X?

I have a Noctua L12 on i9-7900X to approximate cooling for the upcoming i9-9900K (95W-130W at load). I have *not delid because I don't want to void my warranty, I'm having issues hitting full turbo on single core, and having all sort of thermal issues even with side panel off.

You might be get better results with the Scythe Big Shuriken 2.

New CPU + GPU are 15% to 30% hotter / higher TDP. SFF air coolers have stayed the same. Not just the Ghost/A4/Thor, all sub 10L cases are going to be struggle in both thermals and noise. If you are ok with more volume, get a top hat and go for 240 AIO / Full Loop.

It seems a top hat and 240 AIO is the way to go, yes! Thank you! <3

Howdy

Chassis Packer
Mar 30, 2018
Hey! I posted this elsewhere in the forum but wondering what everyone plans on doing with WIFI antennas for their Ghosts? Is everyone using the included motherboard antenna or do you have any case specific solutions you are working out?

@[URL='https://smallformfactor.net/forum/members/soul_est.246/']Soul_Est [/URL]mentioned in a different thread the possibility of using an acrylic cover with an antenna from a router or old laptop. Wondering if anyone else is trying similar solutions?

Another solution is internal USB headers with USB dongles for Wifi and Bluetooth.

Thanks!

DrDaveDeath

Cable Smoosher
Sep 1, 2018
Is anyone planning on selling their Ghost S1? If so, I'd like to buy - willing to pay a bit extra for it (+ the shipping)!

Currently got parts in a Dan Case A4 v3, but to be honest I should have held out for the Ghost.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Is anyone planning on selling their Ghost S1? If so, I'd like to buy - willing to pay a bit extra for it (+ the shipping)!

Currently got parts in a Dan Case A4 v3, but to be honest I should have held out for the Ghost.
Just so you know batch two is just around the corner. Around end of September to start taking orders. November should be a doable date for them to start shipment. But could be earlier or later. They will tell us in the end of September when they sent out first batch

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Just so you know batch two is just around the corner. Around end of September to start taking orders. November should be a doable date for them to start shipment. But could be earlier or later. They will tell us in the end of September when they sent out first batch
They also said the number will be significantly smaller on the second batch. So, who knows.

Reactions: Beardedswede

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
That is fantastic news! I am deeply hoping for an order date in fall and a subsequent shipment date before Christmas.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
Yeah I saw that too ... Is the thing ever gonna go into mass production or is it always gonna be this way?
Depends what you mean. Are the dan or Ncase in massproduction? I guess so becouse no wait time for production but they still don’t have warehouses so it sent from Asia. So I guess that also to expansive for ghost to do. I don’t know.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Depends what you mean. Are the dan or Ncase in massproduction? I guess so becouse no wait time for production but they still don’t have warehouses so it sent from Asia. So I guess that also to expansive for ghost to do. I don’t know.

I don't have the precise numbers, but my math tells me it's more expensive for the end customers if the inventory is warehoused outside of Asia.

The price of the Ghost has factored in VAT since they are shipping from EU. If they warehoused in Asia, they can lower the product price. So the way I look at it, why increase the price for everyone else just to make it easier for EU customers.

That being said, they are a EU based company, there might be some legal and tax advantages to do so, but again, it's at an extra cost to customers outside of EU.

We were able to lower the cost for DAN A4 for customers outside of the EU, by warehousing in Asia. I suspect the same for Ghost.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
I think they should make some changes for compatibility reasons, so maybe wait for them to ship first batch, and then jump in V2.
CPU Cooler you mean then ? Personally i wish did a XL version for air cooling , at least to 80mm cooler clearance but I would not mind up to 110mm dark rock TF. not sure 2;5 or 3 slots GPU is needed. But mainly CPU cooling need more space. And then can have a normal ghost one for less powerful aircooling or aio.
But i guess its hard to please everyone or to have two case sizes for a new company.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
CPU Cooler you mean then ? Personally i wish did a XL version for air cooling , at least to 80mm cooler clearance but I would not mind up to 110mm dark rock TF. not sure 2;5 or 3 slots GPU is needed. But mainly CPU cooling need more space. And then can have a normal ghost one for less powerful aircooling or aio.
But i guess its hard to please everyone or to have two case sizes for a new company.

80m cooler means ~ 22mm wider, then the width will be 160mm. At 162x188x322mm, it's 9.8L without Top Hats, the same width as the M1, but more boxy, uglier proportions. If you add top hat to that for 240 AIO, 12.8L, almost same size as the M1, but with less cooling and component compatibility and more expensive - what's the point then. Don't forget, the PCIe riser increase potential problem too.

Effectively, the back to back layout sacrifices CPU cooling and water cooling to be narrow (120-140mm) and to reach a smaller volume. You deviate from that, the portions are not attractive, and size vs performance no longer make sense.