Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
We have been somewhat passive the last day or two in forums to focus on the discussed changes. Again, thank you all for the valuable feedback.

Below you'll find the changes we have considered and what has been done so far, we would love to get a second opinion from you before we update the homepage and send spec for Alpha prototyping

Spine
- Redesigned spine to accommodate the PSU flip Implemented
- Change Spine to S-fram shape Disqualified
- Spine GPU manuvribility opening removed Implemented
- 2 tread holes removed Implemented

Shell
- Reduced front graphics Implemented and alternatives are being evaluated, we have short listed 5 differernt alternatives
-
Change 3:rd color option Alternatives are beeing evaluated

PSU bracket
- Additional holes for higher stability in hanging orientation Implemented
-
Changed leg widths and made it symmetric for multiple orientations Implemented

I/O unit
- Reduce width to fit behind PSU bracket in hanging orientation Implemented

General architecture
- Widening the GPU cell in order to fit 2.5 slot GPU Disqualified

Creative platform
- Completly redesigned Implemented

Bottom
- Vent openings in bottom To be tested

Find changes in illustrations below

SPINE

CORE

CREATIVE PLATFORM

CREATIVE PLATFORM CLOSEUP

EXPLODED VIEW XS

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Oh wow, this is looking very promising ! It's also looking more and more complex, the 'creative platform' seems very difficult to produce. I'm very excited about this project !

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Oh wow, this is looking very promising ! It's also looking more and more complex, the 'creative platform' seems very difficult to produce. I'm very excited about this project !

Yes, the creative platform will likely be stamped given the last adjustments, this would force us to use a lower grade alloy in this specific component.

Reactions: Phuncz

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
What does the 'creative platform' do? Also you might consider something catchier like 'FlexForm' for the name.

There are multiple purposes of this platform (would love to find a better name though), some of the primary are:
- Create a Box-in-Box solution that allows the user to "pop the hood" and use the case without the shell but with side filters, in this state the platform works as a roof, if rads are added they become the roof
- Create a barrier between possible fans and cables that are squeezed underneath, especially useful for then tough piping is used in an AIO water cooling solutions
- Create a flat plane where the top grill rests effortlessly
- Create more options for the creative sole so work
- An example of how this could be used in combination with the quickly released top grill: We are currently designing an internal USB outlet unit that sits in, and sticks our from the large opening of the platform.

Note, the top grill is supposed to fall into place and lock in place with friction or a magnet solution (details are being evaluated with supplier)

What should we call it do you think?

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
What about the patent? Yes, there is a patent filed for the Spine. Since we decide what we do with it, it isn’t a problem. By promising to deliver on our statements above, the patent should be viewed as a protection of this community platform and it’s realization.

If this makes it “Open source” we don’t know, what should we call it?

How do we best describe this? What is the legal term? Creative Common?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I still don't totally get what the "creative platform" does exactly or how it promotes creativity. From what I can tell, it's meant to house hardware that can fit in the top hat, but I'm not sure.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
How do we best describe this? What is the legal term? Creative Common?

This has been a hot topic from the start of this project within the team. We are all fans of the open community.

In many ways, john Carmack and ID Software paved the road for open source games (apart from their official use of the 666-port ;), by releasing their Quake source to the community. Something that seamed insane to many back then – today it is expected. LOUQE aims to do what mr. Carmack did for the gaming community for the PC HW community.

With the Ghost S1 and (hopefully) coming products we are envisioning a strong and creative user and modding community, hopefully outside of our control, at domains that don’t have a direct connection to us.

For instance: The possibilities with the TopHats are endless, there is a simple yet functional base plane that everything can be mounted to, but there is no way we will have the patience or resources to develop fittings for all these variations, some are being developed this very moment but they won’t come close to meet everyone’s individual needs. Every creative addition will make this product more valuable for everyone.

What does this mean in practice, you ask yourselves… let me ease the suspense (as one of my favorite characters would put it):

- All the designs and CAD files for every component will be downloadable and free for everyone to experiment with or just manufacture their own copies as they stand

- We will gladly publish mods or additions created by others on our side that we feel meet some level of quality if you allow us to

What about the patent? Yes, there is a patent filed for the Spine. Since we decide what we do with it, it isn’t a problem. By promising to deliver on our statements above, the patent should be viewed as a protection of this community platform and it’s realization.

If this makes it “Open source” we don’t know, what should we call it?

Open Source is already a good term for what you're planning to do, but there are differing opinions on what it exactly constitutes. One possible and widespread definition is the one by the OSHWA. I don't think there necessarily exists a legal term for this exact model. Creative Commons is a non-profit that aims to provide transparent licensing models for all kinds of content, but I don't know how well their stuff holds up for hardware. You might be thinking about public domain.

For companies, it sounds risky to do anything with your platform because you could potentially sue them on patent infringement, even if you promise not to do so.

The question that you have to ask yourselves is, what do you NOT allow others to do? You provide the CAD files, but would you pursue legal action against someone who just manufactured all of those parts themselves and then sold the case at a lower price point than you? What use of your name do you forbid? Can people sell a product called "Original LOUQE Ghost S1 sidepanel" or should they rather call it "Sidepanel for LOUQE Ghost S1"? Based on that, you should choose a license for the files that allows people to do with them what you want to allow, and forbids them to do with them what you don't want to allow.
Additionally, you should really look into protecting your trademark and brand. The last thing you want is someone using your files produce a sub-par version of your case or just badly made accessories and market them like they're one of your products. That could really hurt your brand reputation.
Set clear standards for how use of your trademark is allowed in the context of third-party add-ons for your case.

Reactions: Biowarejak

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Open Source is already a good term for what you're planning to do, but there are differing opinions on what it exactly constitutes. One possible and widespread definition is the one by the OSHWA. I don't think there necessarily exists a legal term for this exact model. Creative Commons is a non-profit that aims to provide transparent licensing models for all kinds of content, but I don't know how well their stuff holds up for hardware. You might be thinking about public domain.

For companies, it sounds risky to do anything with your platform because you could potentially sue them on patent infringement, even if you promise not to do so.

The question that you have to ask yourselves is, what do you NOT allow others to do? You provide the CAD files, but would you pursue legal action against someone who just manufactured all of those parts themselves and then sold the case at a lower price point than you? What use of your name do you forbid? Can people sell a product called "Original LOUQE Ghost S1 sidepanel" or should they rather call it "Sidepanel for LOUQE Ghost S1"? Based on that, you should choose a license for the files that allows people to do with them what you want to allow, and forbids them to do with them what you don't want to allow.
Additionally, you should really look into protecting your trademark and brand. The last thing you want is someone using your files produce a sub-par version of your case or just badly made accessories and market them like they're one of your products. That could really hurt your brand reputation.
Set clear standards for how use of your trademark is allowed in the context of third-party add-ons for your case.

This helps greatly, thank you! Applied for trademark today!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I was like, "Oh no, this looks like the Dancase!" And then I was like, "This looks really cool in its own way!"

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Those photos make it much clearer what the "creative platform" does - thanks for that. If you're looking for another name, I kinda like the name "Top Shelf", but that is mostly because of the bathroom humour associated with said terminology.

PaChalski

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
LOUQE
Mar 15, 2017
Those photos make it much clearer what the "creative platform" does - thanks for that. If you're looking for another name, I kinda like the name "Top Shelf", but that is mostly because of the bathroom humour associated with said terminology.
Yes, we definitely need to rename this component. Initially we were saying "the shelf". Ultimately we want to find a name that is both clear and describing but also makes a definite distinction between it and the "top grill" that we could.

I like "Top shelf", not so happy with "Grill", any more suggestions on these two components?

Mar 6, 2017
Yes, we definitely need to rename this component. Initially we were saying "the shelf". Ultimately we want to find a name that is both clear and describing but also makes a definite distinction between it and the "top grill" that we could.

I like "Top shelf", not so happy with "Grill", any more suggestions on these two components?

Splorfst? Gorshwabl? Dinglebop?

Reactions: alexep7