Prototype The world most flexible SFF case? LOUQE Ghost S1

JerryEn

Efficiency Noob
Jul 22, 2018
A couple question for the Ghost owners:

How do you find installing a 120mm case fan, in place of the drive bay, impacts the airflow and temperatures? Is the room below the PSU sufficient for a 25 mm thick fan, without the cables obstructing the airflow too much?

I'm not sure how much it helps with temps but I don't see how it would hurt in such a small case. If you want to use a 25mm thick fan then I suggest getting custom sized PSU cables. I have a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM installed there as intake and I made some short unsleeved PSU cables so there's more airflow.

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 21, 2018
I'm not sure how much it helps with temps but I don't see how it would hurt in such a small case. If you want to use a 25mm thick fan then I suggest getting custom sized PSU cables. I have a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM installed there as intake and I made some short unsleeved PSU cables so there's more airflow.

Nice. Thank you. Could you maybe post a picture of it? I'm thinking of getting the SF600 platinum, so hopefully I can get the cables sorta out of the way. Supposedly they're not too long.

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
@readeh Cool, interested in what you'll find if you do the experiment. Thanks for the feedback
Using a tophat with two Noctua NF-A12's as exhaust really didn't do anything to my temps as I thought it would. I might try reversing the fans having them blow air down instead. Really puzzled about this as a lot of hot air is exiting the case, but seems like it had no effect on temps.

Edit: Just tried reversing the fans in the tophat and now I'm around 70-75c compared to my previous 80-85c at 4.8ghz, but could probably push to 5ghz now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanook

Sldr

Average Stuffer
Feb 7, 2017
I have finished the 3rd iteration of my build. That's just a big word for "the third time I worked on my Ghost and each time try to route the cables as optimal as possible".

I'm currently using a combination of the M and S tophat secured to the front and back gable with an M3-30 screw. I have 2 120mm Noctua NF-A12x25 (connected to the CPU and Casefan connector) and mounted these 2 Noctua's to the Mounting platform that is usually used to secure the 240mm radiator of an AIO. The NF-A12x25 are too "tall" for a M tophat in combination with the mounting platform.

I have ordered 2 Noctua NF-A12x15 fans, they might be installable in a M tophat so I can remove the S tophat.

I took a couple of pictures with my DSLR - but I'm not a professional photographer, so don't shoot me if the lightning or the framing isn't what you'd expect

Some comments:

• L Tophat at the bottom with Asus Ryujin 240 RAD + 2x 120mm Noctua NF-A12x25
  • M + S Tophat at the top with Mounting Platform and 2x 120mm Noctua NF-A12x25 exhaust
  • Secured the AIO tubes with a simple black strap via the holes in the spine
  • 8086K at 5,2 Ghz is in the low 30°C when idle, low 70°C when gaming
  • Currently running without side-panel, the CPU block with cover is too tall for the side-panel
  • Planning to design custom acrylic plexiglass side-panels with a cutout for the CPU block.
Gallery is here:

Chuck

Efficiency Noob
Dec 26, 2018
Nice build! Definitely unique given that you reversed the case. I think it'll look even better without 2 stacked top hats.

@readeh Nice, now I know what to do if my temps are too high

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Well damn. Did I misread 3lfk1ng's post? If it's not possible, how did he do it?

In my initial build, I didn't have the medium tophat installed (it hadn't arrived yet) and I was getting 82c on my 2700x with the 92mm CPU fan at 100% 24/7, under a 100% synthetic load.
When the medium tophat arrived, I installed it and 2x 120mm exhaust fan and was getting 60c under a 100% synthetic load, with the same configuration.
While 82c is still 'acceptable' I prefer the lower temperatures so I have opted to stick with the medium tophat and 2x 120mm Noctua Sterrox fans.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, during the holidays I had a family emergency and was forced to travel. I took the Ghost inside a helmet bag on the plane and it fit perfectly under the seat in front.
https://i.imgur.com/nNdoDB8.jpg

It's my favorite build to date. I love this case.

Last edited:

Randolf

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2018
In my initial build, I didn't have the medium tophat installed (it hadn't arrived yet) and I was getting 82c on my 2700x with the 92mm CPU fan at 100% 24/7, under a 100% synthetic load.
When the medium tophat arrived, I installed it and 2x 120mm exhaust fan and was getting 60c under a 100% synthetic load, with the same configuration.
While 82c is still 'acceptable' I prefer the lower temperatures so I have opted to stick with the medium tophat and 2x 120mm Noctua Sterrox fans.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, during the holidays I had a family emergency and was forced to travel. I took the Ghost inside a helmet bag on the place and it fit perfectly under the seat in front.

Okay this makes me feel a little better. I've got the XS, running i7-8700 with Noctual L12 and I'm hitting max temps of 82c on my CPU during gaming sessions...

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
For a 65W CPU, on gaming (not stress test), is not fine...
As long as it doesn't go past 85c it will last at least a decade. He would have better temps if he optioned for the K version and downclocked/volted. It is what it is, but I can assure you he will be fine at those temps for years to come.
edit:

i7-8700:
IDLE 35W
GAMING 71W
RENDERING 113W
Prime 95 117W

He could probably still undervolt and keep it at the same frequency to optimize temps. Best thing would still be to delid if he wants a big impact on the temps, but the cpu is still fine at 82c and will last.

Last edited:
Reactions: zacobin and Randolf

Randolf

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2018
As long as it doesn't go past 85c it will last at least a decade. He would have better temps if he optioned for the K version and downclocked/volted. It is what it is, but I can assure you he will be fine at those temps for years to come.
edit:

i7-8700:
IDLE 35W
GAMING 71W
RENDERING 113W
Prime 95 117W

He could probably still undervolt and keep it at the same frequency to optimize temps. Best thing would still be to delid if he wants a big impact on the temps, but the cpu is still fine at 82c and will last.

Thank you guys for all the input. I'm a first time builder and am just not confident to delid or undervolt. I was just a bit worried as wesbl said that my CPU was hitting 82c on a not so demanding game (Overwatch 1080p high graphics) and not even on a stress test. I'm wondering if my Noctua L12 is even spinning as it's pretty quiet and all the noises seem to come from my GPU or corsair SF600 gold. The system gets pretty loud too under gaming, but silent on idle.

SpencerUk

Average Stuffer
Jun 3, 2018

Hope this helps.

On a side note, during the holidays I had a family emergency and was forced to travel. I took the Ghost inside a helmet bag on the plane and it fit perfectly under the seat in front.

That's a plus point. I take it security did the usual checks and what not?

wesbl

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 9, 2017
I mean that there is something wrong, because that temperature is safe, as readeh said, but is abnormal for a 65W CPU IMHO.

Reactions: whatanoob

readeh

Trash Compacter
Oct 25, 2018
I mean that there is something wrong, because that temperature is safe, as readeh said, but is abnormal for a 65W CPU IMHO.
That's true. Either the cooler isn't properly mounted or Intel did a terrible job with the thermal paste which we have seen before.

Reactions: Biowarejak