The space inefficiency thread

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
This rig is in the shop today and looking at it has inspired me to make an anti-SFF thread :p

90 liters to house a GTX 780, capture card, 2 sticks of RAM, one 3.5" drive, and one 2.5" drive :eek:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It looks like it would almost fall through the motherboard cutout. Or that you could mount it on the rear exhaust fan spot.

I'll contribute to this by my own past mistakes:

120L of pure aluminium awesomeness. And all I had was a lousy AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2x 512MB RAM, Radeon 9500 --> 9700 Pro mod, bunch of small xGB IDE drives, CD-RW, DVD(RW?) and a floppy drive to fill that hole.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
It looks like it would almost fall through the motherboard cutout. Or that you could mount it on the rear exhaust fan spot.

I'll contribute to this by my own past mistakes:

120L of pure aluminium awesomeness. And all I had was a lousy AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 2x 512MB RAM, Radeon 9500 --> 9700 Pro mod, bunch of small xGB IDE drives, CD-RW, DVD(RW?) and a floppy drive to fill that hole.

"You don't understand! I really NEED all those front panel drives!"

Amazing job on the PSU sleeving as well, top notch work there.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
"You don't understand! I really NEED all those front panel drives!"

Amazing job on the PSU sleeving as well, top notch work there.
I still have that crappy sleeving ! It's about 10 years ago, if not longer. Sleeving wasn't done much or to a high standard back then, I just wanted everything red, only to end up with pink tubing (opaque thanks to coolant dye), orange sleeving and that god-awful brown PCB motherboard.

Oh well, atleast there was no way for me to go but up ! As in efficiency. mATX was next and a Shuttle shortly after.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
you aint see nufin yet....

Admitedly alot of the size is outright budget. that was the cheapest standard form factor board w/ L5420 support, the L5420 was (and to some extent still is) the cheapest way to get 8 real intel cores, the case was (at the time) the cheapest eatx compatible case on the australian market. Heat and not size is this systems downfall though and the main reason i'll be replacing it with something smaller. Shame all of Intels current 8 core anythings cost so god damn much. In an attempt to redeem myself here is a picture of it in an Antec 300, those 1u sinks left it overheating in summer though. http://imagehost.losias.net/images/lTZ2j.jpg

Reactions: confusis

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
i always wanted to body chop the depth out, put a half ssi mobo in it horizontally w/ a raid card (above the psu) then fill it w/ some 2nd hand HP / Dell / IBM / etc cages w/ expander backplanes That said build quality on it is utter garbage

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Not as bad as yesterday's example but this came in the shop today:

It didn't start out quite this bad however, the original motherboard was normal size ATX and filled up the case a bit more but it had a bent pin. This Gigabyte was the only Skylake board we had in stock and it's a bit narrower than standard ATX.

Edit: So 1000W to power a 6600K, 380X, and a single SSD. There's not even an optical drive in this thing :p

Last edited: