The space inefficiency thread

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A case where TWO 360mm x 360mm radiators are a small portion of the volume, the case is a closet, not a case. People in some cities have smaller houses than this.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
CaseLabs got killed by Trump's Dumb Trade War. They've been gone for years which makes anything by them collectable. VERY well built enclosures--server grade, really.
yes, I forked out >1k USD for an SMA8 (still in great condition) 😅 will post here once I finish building it haha

Reactions: rfarmer

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
saw this on my local craigslist today. I think that it qualifies for this thread.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Don't you just love it when there's two free m.2 slots on the motherboard and they go buy a m.2 adapter....

Also, what is this trend I'm seeing with the larger cases having a vertical mount and the traditional mount? Hey, lets make the case even bigger for no reason...

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
You mean other than people wanting to show off the GPU heatsink that they spent a fortune to get one during the great shortage?
Yeah, I get that. But thats what those vertical brackets are for. The bracket mounts on the traditional slots so you can vertical mount your gpu. Yeah, you do sacrifice some slots by doing that, but if you're not going to use them anyway, why get a case that gives you both options? thats just a waste of space.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, I get that. But thats what those vertical brackets are for. The bracket mounts on the traditional slots so you can vertical mount your gpu. Yeah, you do sacrifice some slots by doing that, but if you're not going to use them anyway, why get a case that gives you both options? thats just a waste of space.
It's in your answer - the imperative word is option. Even if the user think they just might, that's a good enough reason to include it for the mass. Most case manufacturers don't give a hoot about a few extra litres of volume cause the majority of PC builders don't either. They want features and options, period, and not necessarily the most features and options for 4/5/7/10/20L volume like SFF enthusiats do LOL

On a side note, hopefully in a couple of months time I can add my own SMA8 waste of space here. Stockpiling watercooling stuff for 2x 360, 1x480 and 1x 560 radiators takes forever LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar