The space inefficiency thread

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020

The photo isn't complete without the rat that belongs in there 😉

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Shamelessly stealing this from a thread where someone was asking for help over on TechPowerUp:

There's supposed to be a GPU and sound card in there, but I don't think that would change much.
Nobody is going to point the fact that both case fans are set as intake 🤔 ... I'm glad for the 3 removed pci slots and cable management, though. Otherwise the airflow would be totally compromised 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Nobody is going to point the fact that both case fans are set as intake 🤔 ... I'm glad for the 3 removed pci slots and cable management, though. Otherwise the airflow would be totally compromised 😂
The person posting the pic said the PC was built by a local company. Not much of a credit to their skills, apparently :p The PSU is also quite dusty, which makes sense given that it's the main exhaust with this airflow layout. But it also looks like the PSU fan grille is covered with ... thermal paste? It's probably just dust + a bad camera, but that stuff looks weird.

To be fair though, with that open fan slot in the front, there's plenty of room for air to flow out there and get recirculated by the front intake fan 😅

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015

And why did they use the brilliantly compromised bottom front fan position? 😆The one above is unused and would be offer unrestricted airflow 😂

Last edited:

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
you mean ... free to move inside the box and be DOA ?
Had it happen several times where retail new drives in retail packaging were put in an overlarge box with some half assed packing paper inside. Amazingly no dead drives out of it. No thanks to Amazon trying to save a buck

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Had it happen several times where retail new drives in retail packaging were put in an overlarge box with some half assed packing paper inside. Amazingly no dead drives out of it. No thanks to Amazon trying to save a buck
I've heard of people getting shipped drives from amazon in just the antistatic bag inside one of their cardboard envelopes (the ones they use for books, games and other small stuff, with zero padding). An oversized box with no padding is one thing, but using those envelopes is just begging for it to be thrown around by stressed-out postal workers.

Reactions: riba2233