The space inefficiency thread

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Just found this in the results for "ITX" on the local Craigslist… ?

Hey, at least they took advantage of all that cable management space!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Just found this in the results for "ITX" on the local Craigslist… ?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! And a 1000W PSU too just to be safe ?
I'm particularly amused by this as I was given 4 PCs last week from my old work.
3 were s775 and too old to do much with, but I still kept the smart mini tower one and took the flat desktop ones to the tip. The last one was a full ATX tower beigebox from when I worked there. The guy doing the disposal is ex IT and said "The big one has a small board in it"...
When I got home, he was right. Cowering in the corner of a large grey cuboid was a dear little Gigabyte Ga H61 D2V with Pentium G2030 ?.
I'm sure it will come in handy somewhere, maybe put an i5 in there when something s1155 comes my way again.

Reactions: cmyk78 and rfarmer

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
No, he only needs mild correction. After all, he is thinking of saving space.

I think a good punishment would be 10 lashes with a wet noodle! :p
Noodles are not necessarily SFF. The punishment must match the crime if there should be any hope of rehabilitation, so I would suggest either an extra short modular PCIe power cable, internal AC power extender, PCIe riser or short Asetek AIO tube.

Other options could be writing "I will not waste space" in as small letters as possible on a large board until the board is entirely full, or simply being subjected to a never-ending series of pictures of horribly huge and empty PC cases, Clockwork Orange style.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You have to catch these things early, otherwise they do a build in a H200 and claim it is SFF.
My main build is in an H200, but I am very clear on it not being SFF. That's what happens when you can't afford to import a Cerberus :(

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Other options could be writing "I will not waste space" in as small letters as possible on a large board until the board is entirely full
Sounds fair.

Since IBM made a working computer, with PSU and IOs, that's smaller than a grain of rice... what about writing "I will not waste space" on 1kg worth of grain of rice ?

Since I'm a nice guy, the rice variety is up to the sinful lost soul.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Since IBM made a working computer, with PSU and IOs, that's smaller than a grain of rice... what about writing "I will not waste space" on 1kg worth of grain of rice ?

Since I'm a nice guy, the rice variety is up to the sinful lost soul.

How many liters is that PC?