The space inefficiency thread

MJVR1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2015
Watched the video, the ITX case of choice for HC definitely seems wierd.
On the other hand, that S340 Elite does look really sexy...

TheGooseIsHere

Average Stuffer
Dec 26, 2016
A while ago when I was making a budget build for occasional use (e.g. watching movies and gaming), I only had a Fractal Define R2 lying around which used to be my main PC's case.

I don't think I have any pictures of it but imagine a mini ITX motherboard, with a tiny low-profile CPU cooler on the CPU, a GTX 970 Mini, only 2x 2.5" drives for storage (not even a 3.5" drive lol), no optical or other 5.25" bays used, a TFX power supply and only a single case fan at the rear :D

It was the definition of space inefficiency :D but it did run silent at least!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Wow, the only thing that would make that worse is using the onboard video :p

Reactions: Soul_Est

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
All that creative energy being put into proper SFF ITX cases, and the prizes go to the Nano S and Manta? :mad:.
I was given by a friend on another forum (so I can rant about it here!), a Phanteks Evolv ITX which is bigger than the SG08 and SG08E that I have running mATX kit in. What IS the point????
I am so annoyed with it as an ITX case, I'm thinking about chopping out the PSU Shroud and seeing if it will take a mATX or ATX board, which it may even fit...
At least it would be more efficient, albeit outside SFF sizing. I was considering a front mounted PSU to use spare space there and put the drives anywhere they fit.
/rant

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The problem is mainly that efficient mITX cases or atleast efficient mATX cases are spread very thin. Project cases aren't on people's radars for more than a few reasons and the largest (pun) issue is that reviewers rarely mention case volume or use it as a metric. Bigger is better, or atleast it's rarely worse.

But I don't mind. If everyone was into SFF, I wouldn't have any chance of making snarky comments when I see people chugging their 80L cases on a LAN-party.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
But I don't mind. If everyone was into SFF, I wouldn't have any chance of making snarky comments when I see people chugging their 80L cases on a LAN-party.

Hahaha, true! I have a friend that I do to a weekly LAN to who lives (literally) across the road from the host, and staggers there with an old Antec ATX case with a 'lockable' door that no longer closes or locks...
Both the host & I have offered to fit a handle to the darn thing!

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I am so annoyed with it as an ITX case, I'm thinking about chopping out the PSU Shroud and seeing if it will take a mATX or ATX board, which it may even fit...
At least it would be more efficient, albeit outside SFF sizing. I was considering a front mounted PSU to use spare space there and put the drives anywhere they fit.

The cooling on it sucks too. My boss had his personal build in one but he could never get the GPU temps he wanted without using a water cooled card because the PSU shroud blocks the video card's fans. But both of the EVGA hybrid cards get got had bad pump noise so he ended up ditching the case.

So actually, if you chop out the shroud it would not only have a mATX or even ATX board, it would probably run cooler too :p

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
The cooling on it sucks too.
So actually, if you chop out the shroud it would not only have a mATX or even ATX board, it would probably run cooler too :p

Oh yes, I forgot about that (not so) little factor. It did strike me that a GPU cooler would struggle for air there but didn't add it to my list of rants.
That said, a truly properly scaled Evolv (and Fractal 'Pico' S) would be nice little cases on SFX PSUs...

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I've decided to stop competing with this thread regarding eGPU releases and just put this here.

It appears to use a 400 W TFX PSU, creating plenty empty space inside. and wastes bandwidth with 4 USB 3.0 (1 capable of incinerating your phone Quick Charge 3.0) ports. No idea what the measurements are, but it does look smaller than all the other offerings out there.

I'm sort of bummed that Lenovo is using the same chassis on the Thinkpad T470p as the T460p. No TB3, inadequate cooling, and continuing IBM's tradition of barely-better-than-TN displays. Oh well.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Haha, I just posted it in the eGPU thread earlier. But it does belong here too sadly :\

If someone is willing to pay for the TB3 to PCIe adapter and the sheet metal work, I'll do the CAD for free just to show these chumps how to do it right.

Reactions: Phuncz

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
If someone is willing to pay for the TB3 to PCIe adapter and the sheet metal work, I'll do the CAD for free just to show these chumps how to do it right.

Done, I'll take that offer. Just ordered an AkiTiO node we can disassemble for it's InXtron board and transplant into a smaller chassis. New Mini eGPU design conversation over here.