LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Thermaltake Tower 900, this is 153L chassis:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com

Dear god. I would've been fine with it if that was just an old case he had laying around, but no. This was actually a very conscious decision:

Choosing a case
This is usually the easy part. I’m pretty easy to please when it comes to cases. If it were still easy to find beige cases, I’d probably still be buying them today. Since I can’t do that, a simple black case is usually my preference.

Since I was already planning on using a mini-ITX motherboard, I started out focusing on small cases. The Cooler Master Elite 130 and Cooler Master Elite 110 were both at the top of my list. They’ve both small, reasonably priced cases with just enough room for all the components I was using. They’re also big enough to fit a standard ATX power supply, and that makes shopping a little easier.

This would have been a fine way to go, but I decided it would be best to have room to add more hard drives later. My friend Brian has used the SilverStone DS380B case in at least one of his do-it-yourself NAS builds. It is an awesome case, but I decided to be a cheapskate and use a simpler case. I ended up buying the Antec One.

I’m very pleased with the Antec One case. Much more pleased than I had expected. It has five 3.5” drive bays, so I can easily add three more drives. If that’s not enough, I can always 3D print some adapters to mount hard drives in the three 5.25” drive bays. I doubt it would ever come to that.

The tool-less 3.5” drive bays are mounted transversely, so you don’t have to worry about bumping into other components when removing or inserting drives. This was one of the features I always wished my desktop computer’s NZXT Source 210 case had.

The Antec One case also has a pair of 2.5” drive bays. The second 2.5” drive bay is my only complaint about this case. Instead of being a normal drive bay that you slide the drive into, it is instead a set of four screw holes on the floor of the case. I was able to connect the cables to the second SSD in that “bay,” but I don’t like the way the cables press on the floor of the case.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
So not wanting to spend (much) money on the case is probably the reason why he went with that large case. Many people here don't see the PC case (or any other component for that matter) as an annoying thing you have to pay money for, but an essential component. Often times, the same way of thinking this guy did on his website leads people to cheap PSUs. To each his own, although he basically bought something that's as powerful as my Core i3 NUC (also server duty) but with potentially more space for storage.

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
So not wanting to spend (much) money on the case is probably the reason why he went with that large case. Many people here don't see the PC case (or any other component for that matter) as an annoying thing you have to pay money for, but an essential component. Often times, the same way of thinking this guy did on his website leads people to cheap PSUs. To each his own, although he basically bought something that's as powerful as my Core i3 NUC (also server duty) but with potentially more space for storage.

Very good point, very good analogy. We often forget that others just aren't thinking the same way we do. Though I think he could've gone even cheaper.

Reactions: Soul_Est