The space inefficiency thread

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Coolermaster Presents: ATXing an mATX case!

via https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8fvx5w/so_drunken_me_thought_a_atx_board_would_fit_into/

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
as per a recent thread: IMO people should separate SFF and Space Efficiency ._. you can fill any giant case with reasonable parts up to the brim and still call it space efficient. but it'd be a pain to cart around and occupy a lot of space, i.e. not SFF

will end the topic here (making the comment here since I didn't get the chance to comment). i'll post a pic when I get back "tonight" to illustrate ;)

EDIT: I lied. too tired to unbox the Cerberus for a cheap Pi joke ,_,

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
This monstrosity:

I shudder to think what the development budget for this was (it has its own app!). I'd be surprised if they sell enough to break even on it... then again, maybe I shouldn't be... there are enough people that are impressed with this sort of thing that they could sell several thousand, though I have to imagine most of that market is young males with well-off parents. Something like this might seem cool in the moment, but you'll regret that you ever bought it after a year.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This monstrosity:

The guy responsible for this case seemingly made a drawing, then requested a model from a movie prop studio, then had a brainstorm by 12 year olds and finally said: Hey engineer, make this into a case please, the size and shape is non-negotiable. If you're too busy, get the intern to do it.

Reactions: AleksandarK

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
That's one of the things I hate about coming into this world. Every time I see a new build - I always see SPACE SPACE SPACE - SO MUCH UNUSED SPACE - WHYYY, etc. As a result, what I used to say "wow" to, is now "there's a better way to fit all of those components."

Edit: To clarify - new PC builds that are outside of sff. :D

Last edited:

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 22, 2017
Just realized..... The signatures (especially mine) are not space efficient.

So true! I have thought the exact same thing so many times! @Windfall, don't worry, you are far from being the worst perpetrator! Some folks have huge images or massive fonts (for some reason) in their signature!

Reactions: AleksandarK

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So true! I have thought the exact same thing so many times! @Windfall, don't worry, you are far from being the worst perpetrator! Some folks have huge images or massive fonts (for some reason) in their signature!

I like my quotes, and I figured I should link my projects and WHAM wall of text. Plus, large signatures waste minutiae media's electricity.