The space inefficiency thread

The_Crapman

Efficiency Noob
Feb 14, 2018
I'd been told you folk here might like this.

It'll get fuller, honest!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I'd been told you folk here might like this.

It'll get fuller, honest!
Hi Crappy, good to see you over here; although your setup currently looks 'bad', that white monster at 154 litres is a LOT of volume to contend with.

Guille, not bad, but again, 154 litres is gonna be hard to use efficiently whatever you load it with!

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@W1NN!NG: there are quite a few ATX cases which I wish were available in ITX size. Fractal just announced a mATX version of their Meshify e.g. which they should have just shrunken down to ITX size.

Thirded. Case makers still don't scale ITX cases down properly IMHO.

I'm not expecting silly small extreme versions, but not 30+ litres of Evolv ITX (I think I may be able to squeeze an ATX board in mine if I ever get round to attacking it).

Maybe SFX-L PSU sizing and room for a rad - if Dan can do it in 9L in the upcoming C4; surely mainstream cases could do ITX in 15 to just over 20 Litres.

As far as I could see (quick look at a review last week), the mATX Meshify is still bigger than my TJ-08, which isn't really that small in mATX terms at 28L.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Its not a case, but how do you manage to only fit 4 DIMM slots on an EATX (albiet non-supermicro-EATX-spec) motherboard?

EVGA somehow managed to do it though:

EVGA has had its engineers test the SkyLake-X platform and has detirmined that by reducing the number of RAM channels(and traces going from CPU), the CPU can be overclocked more by 300-600Mhz. There is no reduction in number of channels tho- it still remains to be Quad Channel.
As this is the motherboard made for extreme OC, every Mhz counts.
There are other X299 models with 8 DIMM slots, which serve the purlose of "normal" user.