The Photography/Camera thread

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Just got an old Olympus OM 50mm f/1.4 to go on my E-M1. Looks wonderful on it but 50mm is a bit too long for the E-M1 (it'd be a 100mm on 4/3 sensor)so I may be getting a lens turbo from Zhongyi that'll make it more like a 35mm f/1 lens. will post pictures soon!

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yeah crop-factor can sneak up on you. My 60mm lens also surprised me, but for general purpose that doesn't involve taking pictures with friends, it's pretty manageable.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Rarely do I bother to take photos but I do enjoy it from time to time. Even more rare is when I actually remember to bring my DSLR.

I know enough about it to get into trouble but not enough to be worthy of a super nice camera. However, my wife and I are hoping to pick up the new Sony a6500 next month for better product shots.

Canon T5i w/ 18-55mm lens

In most cases my OnePlus One (smartphone) is plenty good enough for the job:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Quite the extensive answer for the lens advice, do appreciate it and will surely be of use to many! ;)

Seems like 50mm f/1.8 & 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 should be decent for two lenses to get started with then, easy enough to find and looks as if it should let me get used to the platform, any thoughts?

I really hate 50mm on APSC. It is like the most recommended focal length for people just getting started, but I think you should aim for 28-35 if you are just starting (on APSC). If you have a 35mm sensor go for it...or M43 then look at 25mm lenses.

IMO...

Reactions: LocoMoto

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have a 60mm for my Sony A6000, it's indeed not the easiest to work with due to the focal length making some shots hard to impossible.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Looks like I'll be getting a lens for the DSLR this week, so...
A few shots from a non "smartphone" phone back in 2012 in the meantime.
Although resized down quite a bit :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
I did decide on a 35mm to replace the 50mm after I saw your last post and then also some quick research on the topic...
Seems like it's going to be a relatively compact setup with the 35mm lens!

Reactions: Josh | NFC

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Pretty much all my photo-taking is purely utilitarian for my build logs and reviews but I couldn't pass up a chance to capture this little devil sitting still for once:

Canon T2i w/ Canon 60mm Macro

m4dcow

Cable Smoosher
Sep 16, 2015
Nice thread.
I first had a Minolta Dimage 7 for a couple years, was a decent prosumer for it's time. Then I moved onto Canon gear with a 20d and then a 7d in about 2010. Besides kit lens I had 2 Tamrons which got mold contaminated 24-70mm f2.8 and 17-50mm f2.8. I also have a Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM and a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (The older version without IS) I love the 70-200mm though, its very sharp and I can shoot moderate sized birds and creatures without scaring them off. I also have a Sigma 50mm which i don't use much and a Sigma 8-16mm which shoots really cool goofy sort of pictures.

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
So, learning to use a more fully featured camera now, the following shot is the 4th one I took and since then I'm starting to get a feel for the relationship between the different settings, developing techniques to keep the camera steady and having a blast doing so!

400% Crop

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

LocoMoto

Jul 19, 2015
Well @Aibohphobia , found the Nikon D5300 on sale so decided it would get my attention rather than the D5500.
And as Josh had pointed out about the features of the APS-C sensor I looked at 35mm for the well.. not sure what to call it.. main workhorse perhaps!
Black Friday came as a surprise with a deal on the basic Nikkor AF-S DX 35/1,8 G so didn't opt for secondhand there bringing it all to around 410 USD plus tax, although... still looking around and researching for a lens with a greater focal length possibly a zoom.

And here at the end of it I realize just how difficult I have to just say a few product names, lol x'D

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Well @Aibohphobia , found the Nikon D5300 on sale so decided it would get my attention rather than the D5500.
And as
Josh had pointed out about the features of the APS-C sensor I looked at 35mm for the well.. not sure what to call it.. main workhorse perhaps!
Black Friday came as a surprise with a deal on the basic
Nikkor AF-S DX 35/1,8 G so didn't opt for secondhand there bringing it all to around 410 USD plus tax, although... still looking around and researching for a lens with a greater focal length possibly a zoom.

And here at the end of it I realize just how difficult I have to just say a few product names, lol x'D
35mm is what many refer to now as Full-Frame or FF.