The Music Thread

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Edit: -Snip-

There's a lot of hidden gems in anime and game OSTs, even if I don't watch anywhere as much anime as I used to. Got into Nujabes because of Samurai Champloo. Cowboy Bebop's OST is timeless. I'm also partial to .Hack SIGN's soundtrack even though I thought the anime was just okay.

@Phuncz nice to see a fellow drum & bass head. I got into that really deep in the mid 2000's. Bought vinyls from a lot of heavy/neuro artists, some before they really blew up.

Speaking of Essential Mixes one of my favorites has to be by Scratch Perverts, from '04 I think. A whole bunch of stuff in there from Pendulum to Dre, Blackalicious to Squarepusher all mashed up and mixed pretty well.

@CC Ricers Oh don't get me started on hidden gems in anime and game OSTs.

I made an entire playlist of relaxing music just from mainly anime and game OSTs.

Also when talking about game stuffs. Daniel Wentz is not only great, he also occasionally takes on old projects. he rememixed all the music from Descent: Freespace for the Freespace Source code Project's Freespace Upgrade Project.

I've also been enjoying the new remixes for the new Unreal Tournament

And the New music made for it

@BirdofPrey Have you heard of the Windows 95 space sim/arcade shooter Fury 3? Some people have taken the OST and remade and/or remixed the soundtrack.

I made a playlist, and threw a few other songs from some old games in there.

Also, have you heard this Unreal Tournament '99 Foregone Destruction remix ?

Last edited:

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Just to clarify, I wasnt making mention because you did something wrong or because your post wasnt appropriate. I was mostly just trying to make clear that the chances of you receiving a response were next to none and an explanation as to why.

Reactions: confusis

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There are composers that make good music that I didn't know were made more famous through a game they composed for.

For example, Soichi Terada. I was just going down a tunnel of YouTube videos on jungle music and came across his name. He's more known for making the music for Ape Escape but he's got a whole discography going throughout the 80s and 90s. It was nice listening to the evolution of his style. There was one vinyl EP that I wanted to buy of his, but it cost upwards of $130 :eek:

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
Just to clarify, I wasnt making mention because you did something wrong or because your post wasnt appropriate. I was mostly just trying to make clear that the chances of you receiving a response were next to none and an explanation as to why.
@jØrd I know, that's why I deleted it. No point in leaving it there if he will never end up reading it.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
@BirdofPrey Have you heard of the Windows 95 space sim/arcade shooter Fury 3? Some people have taken the OST and remade and/or remixed the soundtrack.
I used to own that. I think Tiamat and Sebek are my favorites from the soundtrack. I've heard some of those remixes, and they're pretty great.

Another old game with some nice remixes is Mechwarrior 2 Timmothy Seals did a full remix album

Of course it's just as much of a pleasure to listen to the original soundtrack. Heavy gear as well, which has the same composer if I am not mistaken

Also, have you heard this Unreal Tournament '99 Foregone Destruction remix ?
I might have missed that one. A remix that interests me greatly given how much time I've spent on the Facing Worlds map.
Spent thousands of hours playing Unreal Tournament '99. Loved the OST !

As mentioned, lots of hidden gems in animes and games OST (bastion, transistor). I always buy the version including the OST when available.
Don't forget Pyre; it's got a pretty good soundtrack as well, though Transistor is still my favorite.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So, I have this amazing playlist I started making about a year ago. About a year back, My friend introduced me to the game Advance Wars: Dual Strike. The thing is, I had a usb SNES controller and could run the game on my PC via emulator and we would play local multiplayer(with 4 players) and pass the controller around, which was very fun. However, I was not a fan of the game music, so I set out to make a battle music playlist. Now about a year later, the playlist has grown to 171 songs and I tend to listen to it whether I'm gaming, reading a book or manga. I'm still adding songs to it, and will also periodically shuffle the playlist a bit as I tend to start from the beginning of the playlist and get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again.

Essentially this playlist is themed with only songs that are: battle themed(that will get you pumped up) or electronic music that has the same effect. I usually make the first song in the playlist a song that starts off quiet and then picks up.

The playlist is called Advanced Wars.

I'm also taking suggestions if you would like to add a track to it that fits the theme.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I'm a weird dude. I listen to an abomination of a playlist with meme music (some in 8-Bit courtesy of 8-Bit Universe), disco (Earth, Wind, and Fire; Kool and the Gang; Lipps Inc; Bee Gees), a select few modern pop songs (some Charlie Puth, one Portugal: The Man song), a few electro swing songs, 1 or 2 general electro songs, "vlog music", and finally a 30-minute long video of ambient music. Yeah, I know, I have no taste in music :p.

When playing games (as in .io type of games), I listen to NPR from my local station or stereotypical "gamer music".

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Why not just listen to all the genres at once.
Separately or together? I'm sorry, I'm in China and can't access YouTube, so yeah. I have my content on separate playlists, but I might combine them once I get back to the states...