Inviting new members to SFF Forum

Hey all,

Although we've been very low-key about mentioning or sharing SFF Forum in the past (as we were getting things started and working through growing pains), we're happy with the relative stability of things, and feel ready to see some more traffic. We've got the seeds of some great conversations, and we've built everything on a modern forum platform that we think will do a good job of supporting those. So, moving ahead, we'll be mentioning the website more readily.

As a part of that, we'd like to invite and encourage you all to invite people who you think might enjoy or benefit from a community focused on SFF! Though we don't want to stuff other forums with direct links to us (as that would be in poor taste and in likely violation of rules), we do want to see some user growth so that categories can continue to be populated, and individual threads can enjoy more continuous engagement.

This will be as much of an experiment for us as it is a new resource for you all, so feel free to ask questions and make recommendations here, or in the Forum Feedback section!

Thanks,
-PP

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'll do my best but it seems to be absolutely prohibited on [H], the only other SFF-minded forum I visit.

The best way to get more people is to get more content. The more we discuss about relevant stuff will eventually lead to people also feeling the need to discuss (and thus sign up) until this snowballs into the world's biggest forum on the tiniest performance computers.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
Original poster
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'll do my best but it seems to be absolutely prohibited on [H], the only other SFF-minded forum I visit.

Yes, and that's generally the rule, rather than the exception, on most forums. You can link to content on other sites that's germane to an existing conversation, but links that are expressly promotional are spam.

And anyway, we'd rather that traffic and user count expanded through sharing and word-of-mouth (so, individual-to-individual interactions), rather than through blanket promotions such as ads and referrals.

The best way to get more people is to get more content. The more we discuss about relevant stuff will eventually lead to people also feeling the need to discuss (and thus sign up)...

Indeed, though there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem when you don't have enough people to be creating large quantities of (good) content, and also don't have enough content to encourage people to join in ;) For us I think it just means that growth will come slowly.

...until this snowballs into the world's biggest forum on the tiniest performance computers.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Indeed, though there's a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem when you don't have enough people to be creating large quantities of (good) content, and also don't have enough content to encourage people to join in ;) For us I think it just means that growth will come slowly.
You are underestimating my gattling gun of discussing. As long as someone supplies the bullets, I'll keep spraying the arguments and monologues no one reads :D