The Music Thread

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I really like the loading bar at 10:42 in the video.
It's hard to see in the video but it's binary. The entire visual part of the concert was a huge nerd fest with pixelated fonts, console cursors, typing text, lots of binary, etc etc.

Actually reminds me of this live performance by Nine Inch Nails of "The Great Destroyer"
That indeed does look intense in a similar way. Awesome when done properly like your and mine example !

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Transatlantic - We all need some light

Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever

Pendragon - Paintbox (Acoustic version)

Pendragon - Total Recall

I've never heard of Transatlantic, and while they're in no way the kind of music I would or could listen to, I really enjoy seeing the musical talent presented. It really feels like they're telling a tale through poetry and music at the same time, like a soundtrack to a movie that doesn't exist. Very cool!

Not really getting that vibe with the songs you posted from Pendragon, but that might be the difference between a recording and a live performance there.

well worth reading the lyrics

What a bunch of nerds. ;) I love it!

I just rediscovered these pieces. There's just something about solo-artist music that I direly enjoy.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
This is just a cool concept, and the music isn't bad, either

This headphone looks like the Sansui SS+2 from the 70's. I really dig the melody and the machine is lovely, nonetheless

I'm not very much into electronic music, but here is a 20 years old that I still like to listen to:

Last edited:

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I listen to everything, really. I don't like a lot of what's on the radio though, I'll say that much. So what I listen to tends to be what I find on Youtube or through iTunes.

Recent song I found that I thought was entertaining // Rap Genre

A Metal cover of Eminem's T"ill I Collapse".

Reactions: iFreilicht

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've been listening to Japanese bands to expose myself to more of the language. Babymetal gets all the attention but there are quite a few seriously rocking all-female bands over there:

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I've been listening to Japanese bands to expose myself to more of the language. Babymetal gets all the attention but there are quite a few seriously rocking all-female bands over there:

Japanese music has a special place in my heart lol

At one point in time I had more Japanese music on my computer than english music.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yup, same here. Most of the first music I downloaded was anime OSTs and mostly in MIDI since it was much quicker to download those on dial-up than MP3s :p

onlyabloke

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
Yup, same here. Most of the first music I downloaded was anime OSTs and mostly in MIDI since it was much quicker to download those on dial-up than MP3s :p

Love me some OSTs. Anime ones are usually where I go for good ones, just because I don't consider an album of songs by twenty different artists to be an OST. Just an album with a theme lol

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I found a collection of BBC Radio 1's Essential Mixes, dating back to the early 90's.

Moby '94, Massive Attack '94, Portishead '95, A Guy Called Gerald '95, Daft Punk '97, Photek '97, DJ Shadow '03, Fatboy slim '03, etc. I'm having a blast !

Reactions: jØrd

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Original poster
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I listen to everything, really. I don't like a lot of what's on the radio though, I'll say that much. So what I listen to tends to be what I find on Youtube or through iTunes.

Recent song I found that I thought was entertaining // Rap Genre

A Metal cover of Eminem's T"ill I Collapse".

Love the cover of Till I collapse, that's very catchy.

Love me some OSTs. Anime ones are usually where I go for good ones, just because I don't consider an album of songs by twenty different artists to be an OST. Just an album with a theme lol

Oh dear god, I've had a period of a few months where I exclusively listened to the Portal 2 OST.

Also, I have a new favourite track ATM. Hanging Gardens is one of those songs that sound better the louder you play them, but not because of the extreme bass or whatever, but because it just sounds so "full". Literally, when you have it on speakers, you can feel how the whole room is filled with this music, on headphones it's your head, absolutely amazing and something I've never heard this way before. I actually cried at the 2:45 mark when I first heard that song, couldn't even tell you why. Still gives me shivers every time I hear it. It's one of those tracks that just are truly, 100% perfect. Maybe I'm just crazy.

veryrarium

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 6, 2015
I'm totally unfamiliar with Japanese anime music except for the OP/ED songs from 80's anime and the OSTs for Night on the Galactic Railroad and The Wings of Honnêamise. ETA: I do know the ED song from Tatami Galaxy just because I like Yoshinori Sunahara's post-Denki Groove works.

Photek '97
'97...that's before Rupert Parkes went nuts and switched to shitty vocal house music with some generic drum'n'bass leftovers that contained no signature beatmaking craftmanship he had been known for. Probably good stuff.

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Mostly listening to anime and game OSTs. The ones for the Eureka Seven series and Cowboy Bebop are my favourites.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
There's a lot of hidden gems in anime and game OSTs, even if I don't watch anywhere as much anime as I used to. Got into Nujabes because of Samurai Champloo. Cowboy Bebop's OST is timeless. I'm also partial to .Hack SIGN's soundtrack even though I thought the anime was just okay.

@Phuncz nice to see a fellow drum & bass head. I got into that really deep in the mid 2000's. Bought vinyls from a lot of heavy/neuro artists, some before they really blew up.

Speaking of Essential Mixes one of my favorites has to be by Scratch Perverts, from '04 I think. A whole bunch of stuff in there from Pendulum to Dre, Blackalicious to Squarepusher all mashed up and mixed pretty well.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
@Phuncz nice to see a fellow drum & bass head. I got into that really deep in the mid 2000's. Bought vinyls from a lot of heavy/neuro artists, some before they really blew up.

Speaking of Essential Mixes one of my favorites has to be by Scratch Perverts, from '04 I think. A whole bunch of stuff in there from Pendulum to Dre, Blackalicious to Squarepusher all mashed up and mixed pretty well.
I also went in face-first in early to mid 2000's, I wasn't big on buying the music but I went to events regularly and ended up organising events with a few friends for a few years.

I have the Scratch Perverts Essential Mix queued up in my selection of 100 mixes, I'll check it out soon !
You should listen to the Essential Mix of DJ Shadow of July this year. I haven't been through it completely but it is massively good.