The most POWERFUL Gamecube ever (as far as I can tell)

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
hey, any updates?

I also wanted to know more about that custom gpu cooler.

how were you planning on fabricating that? did you succeed? I'm really interested on that

Once I get the design finalized, the plan is to have the fins cut on a water jet at a local machine shop. I've gone back to 6 6mm heat pipes so I will turn bending mandrels on my lathe. I'm reusing the cold plate from the original cooler. I'm going to solder every fin by hand.

I'm also looking for some information. In light of the discovery that the A300m will work on 12 volts, I tested my vega nano and it also works with only 12 volts (I disconnected the 5v from the riser) I am rethinking the power supply for my system. Rather than use the Dynamo 360 and an HDPlex 400w AC-DC I could use a Meanwell SE-600-12. The power supply was already going to be external so it size isn't a problem. Does anyone have experience with Mean wells?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
meanwell seems to be one of the best known power supply maker in the market. as far as I know they seem pretty reliable. I've seen a lot of the 300w epp (one of their open compact power supplies) or something being used in builds. check their documentation for the ripple and noise values, see if they are near or bellow 120mv ~

Reactions: Soul_Est

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
meanwell seems to be one of the best known power supply maker in the market. as far as I know they seem pretty reliable. I've seen a lot of the 300w epp (one of their open compact power supplies) or something being used in builds. check their documentation for the ripple and noise values, see if they are near or bellow 120mv ~

The specific model I'm looking at has 150mv ripple. Is that going to too high?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
The specific model I'm looking at has 150mv ripple. Is that going to too high?
Is that the spec or the test result? MW publishes detailed test reports for all their units, including tipple testing. Most units I've looked at have actual ripple numbers far below spec.

Also, there's a massive thread somewhere around here about 12V PSUs that is essentially all about MeanWell. Can't find the link right now as mobile browsing sucks, but it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Reactions: BikingViking11

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Just a thought, could I just use an atx psu with a custom connector soldered on, only connected to the 12v rail?

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Just a thought, could I just use an atx psu with a custom connector soldered on, only connected to the 12v rail?
probably, yes.
but on the ripple thing
ATX specs states a maximum of 120mv of ripple. I'm not sure how that impacts performance, it probably could impact stability if the ripple gets too much off but I'm no engineer
I'd say give it a try? theres a 12v thread somewhere here on the forum, people there are much more knowledgeable about psus

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I'm also looking for some information. In light of the discovery that the A300m will work on 12 volts, I tested my vega nano and it also works with only 12 volts (I disconnected the 5v from the riser) I am rethinking the power supply for my system. Rather than use the Dynamo 360 and an HDPlex 400w AC-DC I could use a Meanwell SE-600-12. The power supply was already going to be external so it size isn't a problem. Does anyone have experience with Mean wells?
Efficiency isn't very good on that one, only 83% efficient.

Take a look at the EPP-400 and EPP-500, these are more like 91% efficient. I know EPP-400 is in spec (and I use one to run my desktop!), EPP-500 is out of spec for ripple but might be usable with TheHack's ONE2 distro board or something similar that can clean up the ripple. Ideally you should make your own enclosure for these for external use, and they'll need a fan for full power.

If an external PSU enclosure can be done well enough with PETG / ASA plastic then I might be able to help design and 3D print one. I have my EPP-400 already so I can test fitment and fans.

Also see this thread

Datasheets & test reports:

Last edited:

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
Update #7: Power and Cooling
Power:
So I've decided to go with my original(ish) plan for supplying power to the system. I'm going to use the Dynamo 360 and an HDPlex 400W AC to in an external enclosure. Using a high current 8 pin connector (not atx) to connect the external PSU to the GameCube. It supports 12.5 A per pin so 2 pins will be +12 v, 1 will be +19 v, 3 will be GND, and the remaining 2 will be used for the sync pins on the Dynamo 360.
Cooling:
For the cooler I've gone back to round heat pipes, six 6mm heat pipes to exact. Reusing the cold plate from the cooler that came on the Vega 56 Pulse. The cooler has roughly the same fin pitch as the original cooler but these fins as wider and a little taller. Also using the 140mm Thermaltake ring fan which probably flows much more air than the 2 ~80mm fans from the pulse. I'm going to get the fins cut locally on a waterjet and I'm still debating between copper fins or aluminum. Copper generally has better thermal properties but is also denser and more expensive. Aluminum, on the other hand, is cheaper and is still has decent thermal properties.

I also may switch the m.2 riser that I'm using to the "STX" version. It does rotate the motherboard 180 degrees but that may work to my advantage with how I intend to relocate the IO so that its all on the rear panel.

http://www.adt.link/product/R43_STX.html

Last edited:

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
So its been awhile. I have really done much on the build other than waste some copper sheets and successfully bend my heat pipes. I've been wanting find someone with or with access to a cnc router/mill that could for free (or very cheaply) cut out my fins for me. I haven't had much time to work on this project as its become both my and my fiance's main computer and both of are in our final semester of undergrad (couldn't risk losing it). I tried the makerspaces at my university but haven't been able to get in touch with anyone as in person class and I assume most services stopped after the fall break.

W4RR10R

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jan 29, 2019
This project is awesome. Now you got me interested in doing the same. Great idea / build.. Bravo !!
If you like this wait until you see my next Project, I'll probably Start on it 2nd week of January once Ive got my first 3d printer and my wallet has recovered after the holidays. I think this one will be able to fit an ITX board and a normal-ish gpu. The end of this build and the start of the next will probably overlap a bit.

Reactions: Clarvel

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
If you like this wait until you see my next Project, I'll probably Start on it 2nd week of January once Ive got my first 3d printer and my wallet has recovered after the holidays. I think this one will be able to fit an ITX board and a normal-ish gpu. The end of this build and the start of the next will probably overlap a bit.
Oooh, interesting. Slim or regular? The slim would be epic, though I don't think that sounds realistic with an ITX board and "normal-ish" GPU :p