Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@firewolfy did you ever do tests comparing temps of having the CPU cooler fan drawing air in vs pushing out?

I did with my Noctua NH-L12. I'm not sure I still have the result though.

If I recall correctly, CPU temps diff between blowing out vs blowing in was almost the same, 1-2C diff. But do remember that it may be caused by slight increase/decrease in ambient temp. The HDD temps were slighty higher in blowing out mode though, so I assumed for me the best config is blowing in.

I think i failed to get conclusive result because:
- inconsistent ambient temp
- case was cluttered with cable
- 92mm single bottom fan of NH-L12 was too weak to make a significant difference between blowing in VS blowing out.

Bottom case fan blowing out gave slightly lower overall temp, but blowing in gave better temp for storage drives.

Hope it helps.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
As promised, update pictures with the Black Ridge setup and the bottom fan Blowing IN air (Not sure if it changes a lot).

On the last picture you can see the issue with the "old" AMD universal bracket and the choke near the chipset.

And now only missing this beauty to avoid the ugly WiFi and Bluetooth long antennas!!

judokamak

Trash Compacter
Sep 25, 2019
Jezus, this case is so beautiful. With the 120 mm upper fan (without the extra loft) it would be pure perfection. One of the custom mode cases
has the same layout+120 mm fan and it s a bit smaller, but it s nowhere as pretty as this one is.

Reactions: fabio

leifeinar

Trash Compacter
Sep 18, 2019
Got the gibabyte x570 mobo. but I can't seem to fit it in the case. It got an pre applied i/o shielt and it seems to be to vide. annyone got the same mobo?

Update, problem was those rubber spacers thats behind the GPU was protruding the motherbord tray and came in conflict with tha backpalate of the motherborad. didnt notice before i was to install the gpu that i've pushed them out :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jello

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Got the gibabyte x570 mobo. but I can't seem to fit it in the case. It got an pre applied i/o shielt and it seems to be to vide. annyone got the same mobo?

Update, problem was those rubber spacers thats behind the GPU was protruding the motherbord tray and came in conflict with tha backpalate of the motherborad. didnt notice before i was to install the gpu that i've pushed them out :)

I hate built in IO shields. Waste of space.

Reactions: ignsvn and Jello

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
A small update, after weeks of testing and real use:

I've swapped the Noctua A12x15 for the Scythe Kaze Slim. The Scythe is a LOT more silent in general. I don't know if it's related to the BlackRidge, the panel cutout, etc, but during a normal use is way more silent, and the sound pitch is more "natural". On HIGH speed, is louder than the Noctua.

I've tested first the ECO mode on the 3900X, learning a bit how the PBO, PPC, TDC and EDC work.

Well, I've set up now in the BIOS the PPC and EDC to 100 and the TDC to 70. The system now UNDER LOAD is 10 DEGREES lower: same single core speed and frequency, only lost in multithread 150mhz.

During Vray and Blender rendering scene all 12 threads stay between 3.9 and 3.85 GHz.

Thanks to this, the fan never really ramp to the max speed!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
A small update, after weeks of testing and real use:

I've swapped the Noctua A12x15 for the Scythe Kaze Slim. The Scythe is a LOT more silent in general. I don't know if it's related to the BlackRidge, the panel cutout, etc, but during a normal use is way more silent, and the sound pitch is more "natural". On HIGH speed, is louder than the Noctua.

I've tested first the ECO mode on the 3900X, learning a bit how the PBO, PPC, TDC and EDC work.

Well, I've set up now in the BIOS the PPC and EDC to 100 and the TDC to 70. The system now UNDER LOAD is 10 DEGREES lower: same single core speed and frequency, only lost in multithread 150mhz.

During Vray and Blender rendering scene all 12 threads stay between 3.9 and 3.85 GHz.

Thanks to this, the fan never really ramp to the max speed!
I am using 2 x Scythe Kaze Slim for the radiator in my Ghost, the NF-A12x15 Chromax hadn't been released when I bought them. I have been really impressed with these little fans, good airflow and noise levels. Bonus was they were also $10 cheaper apiece.

Reactions: ignsvn and fabio

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
So.. next batch when? :)
+1 also waiting for next batch

Well, I don't know when another batch will run. Things have been busy at my work so not much time to think about it lately. I'll have to give it some thought soon and try to update everyone.

Thanks for your patience on this. They say life has it's own plans sometimes, and it does seem true.

-Fred

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Not related, but the price of Palit GTX 1660Ti single fan recently dropped to around 264 USD in where I live. Comes with 5 years warranty.

5600 XT, on the other hand, just came at around 321 USD (but no single fan model at the moment).

The cheapest 2060 single fan model is around 339 USD.

Do you think the 1660Ti, at that price, is the best to get at the moment?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Not related, but the price of Palit GTX 1660Ti single fan recently dropped to around 264 USD in where I live. Comes with 5 years warranty.

5600 XT, on the other hand, just came at around 321 USD (but no single fan model at the moment).

The cheapest 2060 single fan model is around 339 USD.

Do you think the 1660Ti, at that price, is the best to get at the moment?
Palit does a 1660 Super single fan GPU. The 1660 Ti is such a minor step above the Super that I would always look at the Super first. If the price difference is <$20, then get the Ti still.

I would only get a 2060 if you can grab one at (or very close to) $300 US. If you are willing to look at used, there are often 2060 OEM models from Dell/HP that are single fan and should fit the MI 6.

Reactions: ignsvn