Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I love that video card. MSI did a top notch job with it. On top of all of that, it's really quiet. I'm hoping that they do the same thing with the Nvidia 3XXX series when it comes out. 3070 should be at least equal to the 2080 or 2080 Super.

95W at 85C and 2000RPM fan, PLUS the 1070.. at 24/7, I'd say those are decent. A little bit toasty & noisy to my liking but still decent (and not something I'll see when I game anw)

Agree that the MSI 1070 is a nice little card. Well in general the MSI Aero series have good heatsinks.

I'm sorry about what's happening to your job. I have a lot of other friends going through this too and they have similar stories. It's a scary thing right now. I'm blessed that my wife and I have jobs that are critical, albeit mine has risk of exposure. My cousin is on the front line in a NY hospital where she works as a doctor. She's sleeping in her basement to avoid passing it to her kids and husband.

Generally the companies here look for long term outlook thus they try to retain jobs. However they may require us to take involuntary unpaid leave, for example. My situation is not bad at all, just need to be a little more prudent than usual.

Kudos to anyone who work in the medical field, especially during this difficult time.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
In a related news - Asus Phoenix GTX 1660 (ITX) new for around 176 USD, mainly for 1080p gaming. Smash or pass?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
In a related news - Asus Phoenix GTX 1660 (ITX) new for around 176 USD, mainly for 1080p gaming. Smash or pass?
I would usually say get the Super but that is a really good deal, if you just want some 1080 gaming you should grab it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I would usually say get the Super but that is a really good deal, if you just want some 1080 gaming you should grab it.

Agree, I'd also try to get the Super but at ard $175 it's hard to pass.

However, I also heard about this Nvidia DLSS 2.0, which seems to be running well, yet only available in RTX cards.. which brings me to consider 2060.. sigh.

Edit: or AMD RIS.

Reason I consider these is because it seems that now I can easily upscale to my 4K screen. Granted, it won't be as brilliant as 4K native, but still, that means I can use cheaper GPU to game at 4K. On top of that, 2060 ITX are easier to find, and won't be as hot / noisy as a 2070, for example.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rfarmer

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Agree, I'd also try to get the Super but at ard $175 it's hard to pass.

However, I also heard about this Nvidia DLSS 2.0, which seems to be running well, yet only available in RTX cards.. which brings me to consider 2060.. sigh.

Edit: or AMD RIS.

Reason I consider these is because it seems that now I can easily upscale to my 4K screen. Granted, it won't be as brilliant as 4K native, but still, that means I can use cheaper GPU to game at 4K. On top of that, 2060 ITX are easier to find, and won't be as hot / noisy as a 2070, for example.

What do you guys think?

My 1070 will have to hold me over until this fall when the next gen GPUs will launch. Then it’s time for a 3070/80.

I plan to get and OLED LG tv with Gsync support. DLSS 2.0 shows too much promise to ignore, and I hope AMD has an answer for it.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Basically i'm looking for the best sharpening technology to help with upsampling (or is it called upscaling?) so I can game at 4K without the need to spend so much on GPUs.

@Revenant
DLSS doesn't require G-sync, right? The only drawback (and it may be a big one), is that it needs to be implemented per-game.

Another NVidia sharpening technology is Freestyle, but not sure how it works. IIRC it needs to be implemented per-game as well.

AMD RIS on the other hand, is global, but as of now weirdly only support DX9, DX12, and Vulcan.

(Information taken from the internet - I may be wrong here)

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Basically i'm looking for the best sharpening technology to help with upsampling (or is it called upscaling?) so I can game at 4K without the need to spend so much on GPUs.

@Revenant
DLSS doesn't require G-sync, right? The only drawback (and it may be a big one), is that it needs to be implemented per-game.

Another NVidia sharpening technology is Freestyle, but not sure how it works. IIRC it needs to be implemented per-game as well.

AMD RIS on the other hand, is global, but as of now weirdly only support DX9, DX12, and Vulcan.

(Information taken from the internet - I may be wrong here)

DLSS 2.0 doesn’t require Gsync. It’s probably the best upscaling tech to date. Digital Foundry loves it, and honestly, at living room distance, I can’t tell the difference.

But it’s not exactly a sharpening technique. There is more to it, and it requires dedicated hardware (for 2.0). However, 1.0 could run on the regular shaders so AMD might have some options there.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
OK, so which one do you guys think is more worthy:

- Asus Phoenix 1660 ITX at 176 USD, with 3 years warranty
- Zotac 1660 Super Twin Fan at 232 USD, with 5 years warranty

Again, for 1080p gaming.

Last edited:

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
OK, so which one do you guys think is more worthy:

- Asus Phoenix 1660 at 176 USD, with 3 years warranty
- Zotac 1660 Super at 232 USD, with 5 years warranty

Again, for 1080p gaming.

1660 Super. It will give you a bit more overhead for longer.

or this...

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
1660 Super. It will give you a bit more overhead for longer.

Thank you for the feedback. Yeah the Zotac is super + dual fan (albeit smaller each) + additional 2 years warranty. Doesn't seem like a bad deal.

I'm familiar with Zotac since my current GTX 950 is Zotac.

or this...

Hmm it doesn't ship to my place unfortunately.

On top of that, since the purpose of a stronger GPU is to game at 4K using my living room PC (my 2nd MI-6), based on what you guys discussing perhaps I'll wait for Nvidia 3xxx (or AMD Navi 2/RDNA 2) to come out. That'll give me more options, or worst case, wil bring Nvidia 2xxx price lower.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hi all,
I wanted to let my friends in the forum know first that I have decided to end the MI-6 production batches. It has been a difficult decision, but one that I have been thinking through over the last couple of months. I have to say I am sorry to let anyone down who might have been thinking about getting in on a next batch.

The batches take a lot of time, and I've got some other things going on. I'm not saying forever, because who knows, but for now. It's still a hobby that I enjoy, and it's great to help to get capable computers into small volumes.

Hey, thanks for the support and let me know if you have any issues or questions. I'll still be around here. -Fire

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi all,
I wanted to let my friends in the forum know first that I have decided to end the MI-6 production batches. It has been a difficult decision, but one that I have been thinking through over the last couple of months. I have to say I am sorry to let anyone down who might have been thinking about getting in on a next batch.

The batches take a lot of time, and I've got some other things going on. I'm not saying forever, because who knows, but for now. It's still a hobby that I enjoy, and it's great to help to get capable computers into small volumes.

Hey, thanks for the support and let me know if you have any issues or questions. I'll still be around here. -Fire

@firewolfy thanks for designing & producing such a wonderful case. It's really unique with its own charm.

We all understand that life has interesting twists & turns, so do enjoy & take your time.

I'll probably PM you with a question or two. Nothing urgent.

Stay safe!

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
Hi all,

@firewolfy thanks for the MI-6--it's one of the best cases I've ever owned. I hate to hear that you won't be producing more, but I totally understand--hobbies are meant to be enjoyable and not take up all of your time. I appreciate all of your help over the last couple of years--you've always responded promptly to my questions. Take care!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Kinda bittersweet to see that "Completed" tag eh? ?