Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

wow1605

Cable Smoosher
Mar 4, 2019
I have a question:

Can the Alpenfohn Black Ridge with 2 fans (one NF-A12x15 over it and one NF-A9x14 under it) can fit in the MI6 with a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 ITX (using the M.2 slot for a NVME SSD) ?

That fan seems amazing when i read the site, can really a cpu cooler with 2 fan fit ? When i do the math and add 2 fan on it, it reach only 62mm !!! But how do you connect 2 CPU FAN on one ITX motherboard, i just checked on my ASUS ROG Z390, there is only one port for CPU fan ...

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
No, the Alpenfohn is not compatible out of the box with the Asus Z390.

I am using it, but I had to remove the I/O shroud/heatsink. But thanks to the 120mm fan on top, the VRM is cooled quite good. I have the 9900K with the Auto settings in the Bios.

I don’t know if the bottom 92mm is really needed!

The MB has 3 fan header, you can connect one fan to the CPU, the other one to the PUMP (is the same) and the bottom case fan to the CHA header.

No problem instead using the black ridge with the M2 heatsink!

wow1605

Cable Smoosher
Mar 4, 2019
So can i use the Alpenfohn Black Ridge with:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 ITX (i have to remove only the I/O shroud/heatsink ?)
2 LPX Corsair
I7 9700
2 fans (one 92 and one 120mm under 15mm thickness ) 2 fan its always better than one lol

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
So can i use the Alpenfohn Black Ridge with:

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390 ITX (i have to remove only the I/O shroud/heatsink ?)
2 LPX Corsair
I7 9700
2 fans (one 92 and one 120mm under 15mm thickness ) 2 fan its always better than one lol
Yes, exactly! Let me know about the temp and the 9700 setup!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Here my fresh MI6!!

It's an incredible case! I really like the design and proportion!

My initial plan was to use an L12s or the Black Ridge, but the high M.2 heatsink and the I/O shroud of the Asus X570-I didn't allow it.

Then I've moved to an AIO 120 Corsair H75 (the top hat is super handy, but ruins the beautiful and clean design.

But the 3900X is kept fresh, and CPU side, the system is super quiet thanks to a Gentle Typhoon 1800 PMW.

I am a bit disappointed by the GPU fan noise, I think I will remove the shroud and fan and I will put a Thermalright 100mm fan on the heatsink. I think it will be a bit warmer because of the shroud's absence but will be way more silent.

I've tried to tighten the RAM Timing, but I have no clue how to do. The Ryzen Calculator didn't help me, I guess because I am using a 2x32GB Corsair LPX 3600MHz Kit. I know that is not easy, but I would like to achieve a CAS 16 stable.

I was amazed by the easy to have so many hard drive possibilities! I went for an M.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB and 2x2.5 SSD! Even the Optane 905P with its 15mm fits, besides I've used as a bottom fan the 25mm Noctua Chromax A9!!

But I have to say a BIG THANK YOU again to @Thehack and it's amazing cable kit for the Corsair SF750!! Thanks to it I have so much space!!

Here a few pictures, feel free to ask everything!

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Fabio --
Amazing how you have all that hardware in there and yet it doesn't look cluttered. Putting a 25mm fan and a 2.5 SSD down there is a heck of a feat!
Thanks for sharing.
EDIT - How are the temps with the AIO?

Last edited:
Reactions: Revenant

KingJ

Cable Smoosher
Sep 29, 2019
Sorry if already been asked, but does anyone know whether GPU/CPU temps are better with the bottom intake fan as intake or exhaust? Thanks!!

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Fabio --
Amazing how you have all that hardware in there and yet it doesn't look cluttered. Putting a 25mm fan and a 2.5 SSD down there is a heck of a feat!
Thanks for sharing.
EDIT - How are the temps with the AIO?
Thanks!

Actually was a pleasure to build in it!

About the TEMP, the Radiator fan was in Intake. During Blender Benchmark with a manual VCORE voltage at 1.200mv, the system were reaching 77/78 degrees. Not really exciting actually!

BUT, I've discovered that the Asus X570, without the tiny M.2 heatsink, let fits the Black Ridge! With only the 120mm fan on top of course.
(One side of the mounting bracket is touching a choke near the chipset. Seems fine for now, but I've ordered the new AM4 brackets made for the Gigabyte and Asrock that shoud fix a similar issue).

NOW I am super happy! I've removed the top loft, the system is quiet and the temp are so good!

I mean, I am surprised by this cooler! Here a screenshot with at the same time Blender Benchmark Scene and FurMark for the GPU. (Tomorrow I add also new picture of the setup) ;)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Sorry if already been asked, but does anyone know whether GPU/CPU temps are better with the bottom intake fan as intake or exhaust? Thanks!!

Well, it depends. If you take a look at the performance tests I did HERE you can see the effect of a slim fan. Bottom line is that a slim fan doesn't help CPU much. A slim bottom case fan mostly cools down the HDD/SSD's, the GPU a bit, and probably helps with getting cool air to the MB voltage regulators.

I haven't tested that full 25mm thick fan that @fabio is using tho.