Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

KingJ

Cable Smoosher
Sep 29, 2019
Apologies if it’s been asked already, but would you consider making another version of the case which is 10mm longer?

The Zotac 2070 Super Mini is very close to fitting in this case (with shroud removed it’s about 7-8mm too big I roughly measured at) and being able to put one of those in the case would make it absolutely perfect to me! Extra power and two fans for reduced noise!

Would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts?

Reactions: Weredawg

Weredawg

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 5, 2017
Apologies if it’s been asked already, but would you consider making another version of the case which is 10mm longer?

The Zotac 2070 Super Mini is very close to fitting in this case (with shroud removed it’s about 7-8mm too big I roughly measured at) and being able to put one of those in the case would make it absolutely perfect to me! Extra power and two fans for reduced noise!

Would be interested to hear everyone’s thoughts?

I was thinking about cases that could fit that yesterday because MSI and Gigabyte haven't released any ITX versions of the 2070 Super and I don't know if they even will

Reactions: KingJ

KingJ

Cable Smoosher
Sep 29, 2019
I was thinking about cases that could fit that yesterday because MSI and Gigabyte haven't released any ITX versions of the 2070 Super and I don't know if they even will
I had exactly the same thought. I’ve contact both MSI and Gigabyte and got the same answer: “No plans to release such a card” :(

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I was also thinking that there should be also the possibility to think in a “XL” version, with 120mm bottom fan intake, top 140mm fan, 75mm CPU support and enough slave for the Zotac Mini series ?

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I feel for ya on the bigger case, but it wouldn’t be an MI-6. There is just something special about it.

If there is an XL version, I hoped the proportions stay the same. Maybe add 20mm to length, width, and height and then call it a day. Or build it to DTX spec.

...but as I said before, it’s far far simpler to talk about changing a case than to actually do it.

Save your pennies: when the RTX 3070/3080 launches it will be a new design and on either 10 or 7nm. I bet we see near 2080ti performance in an ITX card.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I feel for ya on the bigger case, but it wouldn’t be an MI-6. There is just something special about it.

If there is an XL version, I hoped the proportions stay the same. Maybe add 20mm to length, width, and height and then call it a day. Or build it to DTX spec.

...but as I said before, it’s far far simpler to talk about changing a case than to actually do it.

Save your pennies: when the RTX 3070/3080 launches it will be a new design and on either 10 or 7nm. I bet we see near 2080ti performance in an ITX card.

Yup. A bigger MI-6 is breaching into other cases teritory, which, although technically doable, will remove what makes MI-6 unique.

Anw - I'm just trying to be helpful here - IIRC, you can get such bigger cases from Taobao or AliExpress.

Reactions: Weredawg and KingJ

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

PowerColor is just about to release a RX 5700 itx, I just pre ordered one from Amazon.co.jp.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
PowerColor is just about to release a RX 5700 itx, I just pre ordered one from Amazon.co.jp.

Nice...Very Very Nice.... 175mm in total length. Partial exhaust design. Price is listed at $399. A bit high, but acceptable. Let's hope it doesn't sound like a Dustbuster.

This could be a nice upgrade for people still using the 1060/1070, missed the 2070s, or need FreeSync.

Reactions: ignsvn and rfarmer

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Hi all.
Production is running about a week later than expected. I'll be starting shipments next week, the week of the 23rd.

Met with the fabricator and did a fit check of the sheet metal parts a few days ago, --found a problem with a few screw holes. Caught it before the cases were powdercoated, so that is good, but the shop needed a few days to get everything fixed and get back on track to powdercoating.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hi all.
Production is running about a week later than expected. I'll be starting shipments next week, the week of the 23rd.

Met with the fabricator and did a fit check of the sheet metal parts a few days ago, --found a problem with a few screw holes. Caught it before the cases were powdercoated, so that is good, but the shop needed a few days to get everything fixed and get back on track to powdercoating.

Thanks for the heads up and with extra QC!

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I'm going to run a little with an XL version of the case, just for fun as a thought experiment.

I was looking at various graphic card options. The smallest 2080ti is about 270mm. Expanding to that level is clearly a different case than the MI-6 and not an XL version. The 1080ti mini is far more reasonable at 211mm in length. That means a 21mm stretch for the case. That is far more reasonable, but wasted if all that is done is a case stretch.

Let's look at keeping the proportions the same, in relation to the expansion while also improving 3 core areas: CPU cooling, GPU length, and intake/exhaust cooling. To do this, we'll look at accommodating a GPU the size of a 1080ti mini, a 120mm bottom intake, DTX mainboards support, and a larger CPU cooler/fan.

By expanding the case 45mm (1.37 inches or .09843 Cubits) in length, width, and height the XL version should be able to achieve all of these goals.

The additional width would be sent solely to the CPU side. This would allow for the mounting of both a Dark Rock TF (center fan only) and a Noctua C-14S (bottom fan only). Alternatively, you could mount an L12S with a top mounted 120mm fan. CPU cooling is now substantially improved. Additionally, a 120mm fan could easily be mounted at the bottom.

The height stretch would allow for additional GPU clearance, the ability to mount a DTX boardal and the ability to mount a 120x25mm bottom intake. It would have to be divided such that 35mm went to stretching the mainboard mounting, and 10 mm went to lower the case floor. This would be pretty much solely limited to the ONE X570 board that is DTX right now, but it is a future proofing measure. It would also grant a little more GPU flexability. The problem here is now the PSU would have to be lifted 10mm off the bottom of the case to allow for cables to pass over the 120x25mm fan.

The length increase would allow for up to a 235mm GPU to be installed. This is still far short of the 270mm small 2080TIs, but a good deal easier to deal with than 190mm. Additionally, it would allow the use of the Noctua C-14S on the CPU side, or for more HDDs.

Now these are all estimates, but if anyone has any CAD skills, I'd love to see a size comparison.

Here is the best I could do for free on the web.

Last edited:
Reactions: KingJ

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
Posting this in case someone is interested: I removed the shroud of my Gigabyte's RTX 2070 and replaced the fan with a 100mm variant. Also, I mounted some heatspreaders on the heatsink (leftovers from my old Accelero S1 :D). This way, the heatspreaders touch the side panel and thus, the sidepanel becomes part of the heatsink. This certainly helped with GPU temperature (can't say how many degrees in detail). On the other hand, the three 40mm fans at the top didnt help a lot and I dont recommend mounting 40mm fans. It ain't pretty, but it works. :) Attached are some pics...

Last edited:
Reactions: ignsvn

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Posting this in case someone is interested: I removed the shroud of my Gigabyte's RTX 2070 and replaced the fan with a 100mm variant. Also, I mounted some heatspreaders on the heatsink (leftovers from my old Accelero S1 :D). This way, the heatspreaders touch the side panel and thus, the sidepanel becomes part of the heatsink. This certainly helped with GPU temperature (can't say how many degrees in detail). On the other hand, the three 40mm fans at the top didnt help a lot and I dont recommend mounting 40mm fans. It ain't pretty, but it works. :) Attached are some pics...
Cool! Do you think there is space in between the heatsink and the side panel for a slim 15mm 120 fan???

nicb6

Trash Compacter
Jul 14, 2018
There is space for a 120x120x12mm fan, but you would need to remove the fan of the GPU. A 15mm fan won't fit.
I tested it with a Scythe slim fan and I don't recommend it, as the fan is too close to side panel which causes a lot of noise.

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Thanks a lot! And did you try to have a 92mm Noctua fan instead? I know that it has a “closed” frame, but maybe can work as well and be super silent!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

Thank you. I myself interested in the 40mm fans.

I more or less understand it won't help the GPU much. However, what I would like to know is whether those 40mm fans help with decreasing the temps of other components, mainly the 2.5" drives? Would appreciate if you can measure that.