Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
For anyone still on the fence out there, I am very impressed with my Mi-6. Absolutely love it. I was put off by the price when the first edition was available, but I bit the bullet on the second edition and have no regrets.

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
For anyone still on the fence out there, I am very impressed with my Mi-6. Absolutely love it. I was put off by the price when the first edition was available, but I bit the bullet on the second edition and have no regrets.

Agreed, the second edition is fantastic. I arrived to SFF sometime after the first edition was already released and couldn't be happier with how my Zen2 build turned out. If I needed to build another SFF machine (I don't), I'd buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Revenant

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Agreed, the second edition is fantastic. I arrived to SFF sometime after the first edition was already released and couldn't be happier with how my Zen2 build turned out. If I needed to build another SFF machine (I don't), I'd buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

Get an extra. You'll never know when you suddenly need it ?

Edit: there's a truth in what I said. MI-6 is a niche product & the production schedule (and quota) are not as often as other more mainstream boutique case like S4 or Ncase M1. So when you suddenly need one, you'll need to wait a few months or wishing somebody will sell his/her. Remember the legendary Compact Splash case?

Last edited:

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Please tell us the progress again, thank you.
I'm so looking forward to get this awesome case!! :)
Well, there are not enough pre-orders to move on to payments and production. I sent out a newsletter from CCD to let everyone know what is going on.
The bottom line is that the production effort is stopped for now. There aren't enough pre-orders, which means if I started taking payments there would not enough paid orders, and then I would have to cancel the production batch. I thought it best to stop the process now, so that everyone doesn't invest real money into it, just to have it cancelled later. Sorry, but this seems to be the best path for now.

Thanks,
-Fire!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Well, there are not enough pre-orders to move on to payments and production. I sent out a newsletter from CCD to let everyone know what is going on.
The bottom line is that the production effort is stopped for now. There aren't enough pre-orders, which means if I started taking payments there would not enough paid orders, and then I would have to cancel the production batch. I thought it best to stop the process now, so that everyone doesn't invest real money into it, just to have it cancelled later. Sorry, but this seems to be the best path for now.

Thanks,
-Fire!

Really sad to hear this. Is it possible just to keep the queue open? So anyone who are interested can still join & when it reaches 50, you'll just let us know that you can start production?

Edit: or any possibility of running production with just 35 units? Sliger can help, pehaps?

Last edited:

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018

Thanks,
-Fire!

So, no top hats either? :(

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Sad for now...there will be another order. It will just take time.

If I can make one suggestion: leave the preorder status open, and put a count down timer on the first page. As soon as orders hit 50, then the order has 1 additional month and locks.

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
I totally agree with keeping pre-orders open for the time being.
I'm working on a little video featuring my MI-6 that I'm confident will be quite popular on Reddit, which will hopefully help push that number a bit closer to 50.

Unfortunately work has been taking up all my time and energy. I'm gonna try to get it done within the next couple of weeks, however that will ultimately depend on how tough my schedule is.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I totally agree with keeping pre-orders open for the time being.
I'm working on a little video featuring my MI-6 that I'm confident will be quite popular on Reddit, which will hopefully help push that number a bit closer to 50.

Unfortunately work has been taking up all my time and energy. I'm gonna try to get it done within the next couple of weeks, however that will ultimately depend on how tough my schedule is.

Oooh I'd love to see the video.

Make it better than Tek Everything's!

DrAwesome95

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
Great to see everyone trying to make another production run happen - I think the biggest drawback with the MI-6 is the fact it will only support 2 slot, half length GPUs (upto 200mm). The way the industry is going - seems like we're only getting super chunky overbuilt monstrosities for the foreseeable future.
Now I dunno if this is within reasonable scope - but my opinion is making a universal half length heatsink that has adjustable mountings, slim fans, etc.

Last gen we even had a Vega 56 Nano PCB (the Sapphire Pulse card) but the cooler on it took it to like 300mm.
If you're going SFF, you're probably willing to make compromises,so I dont think people would be opposed to compromise cooling performance somewhat.

PS: sorry for the long post c:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Great to see everyone trying to make another production run happen - I think the biggest drawback with the MI-6 is the fact it will only support 2 slot, half length GPUs (upto 200mm). The way the industry is going - seems like we're only getting super chunky overbuilt monstrosities for the foreseeable future.
Now I dunno if this is within reasonable scope - but my opinion is making a universal half length heatsink that has adjustable mountings, slim fans, etc.

Last gen we even had a Vega 56 Nano PCB (the Sapphire Pulse card) but the cooler on it took it to like 300mm.
If you're going SFF, you're probably willing to make compromises,so I dont think people would be opposed to compromise cooling performance somewhat.

I agree - indeed we SFF people do make compromises, in one way or another (cooling, noise, non-standard components, cost, performance, etc).

However I don't think there's a compromise in cooling performance here: like I mentioned before, in the 6.X liter class, this is the only one supporting 65mm tall CPU cooler (people kindly correct me if I'm wrong). GPU wise, I believe the cooling performance is similar with other cases supporting single fan GPU. Now of course it's an entirely different matter if we talk about single fan GPU VS dual or triple fans..

* Edit: PSU as well. As of now I think SFX is kinda good balanced solution. I'm not ready to jump to Flex PSU.. those little tornadoes. Yeah I know the Noctua fan mod but I personally don't feel comfortable with such non-standard mods.

Btw I'm not so sure what you mean with this? Do you mean someone should try to make a universal half length heatsink for GPUs? Actually that would be a great idea, although I'm not sure how technically that can be achieved.

Edit: well Arctic Accelero did that at 51mm thick: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/accelero-mono-plus.html They mentioned that cooling capacity is.. 200 watts.

Edit: this looks cool but sadly discontinued: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/vga-cooler/setsugen-2.html

Last edited:

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017

We did a little speculation on a MATX version back a few pages. If I recall the MATX version increased case size by 1.44X if proportions were kept the same. A DTX version was about 1.18X.

Neither could fit any current 2080TI cards, but I think both fit the Zotac 1080ti mini.

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
Oooh I'd love to see the video.

Make it better than Tek Everything's!
Hey, don't expect anything of such high quality ?... I just filmed it using my £150 phone and a £30 softbox from Amazon, and I have zero video editing experience. However, I do think the concept is pretty cool.

It's basically myself unpacking my PC from a Wallye Tactik Duffle, along with a PS4 Slim, a Nintendo Switch, a 3DS, and a 17.3" 120hz monitor, including all cables and peripherals.

I'll probably make it a stop-motion or a timelapse, title it something like "All the gaming you need in one bag", and then upload it to Imgur or something like that and share it on Reddit.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hey, don't expect anything of such high quality ?... I just filmed it using my £150 phone and a £30 softbox from Amazon, and I have zero video editing experience. However, I do think the concept is pretty cool.

Lighting is probably the most important aspect of a video (and photo). There's this old saying: photography is painting with light.

Anyway try to get as even lighting as possible. If you can shoot like 1-2 meters away from a window on daylight, that'd be great (cover the window with non-blocking white curtain to diffuse) - this will be your key light. Then you can use your softbox to be the fill light to brighten the shadowy areas from the opposite side of the window.

If no window or you shoot at night - then just bounce the softbox up to the ceiling (assuming you have white ceiling).

You'll get more even lighting & softer shadows with bigger light source.

DrAwesome95

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
I agree - indeed we SFF people do make compromises, in one way or another (cooling, noise, non-standard components, cost, performance, etc).

However I don't think there's a compromise in cooling performance here: like I mentioned before, in the 6.X liter class, this is the only one supporting 65mm tall CPU cooler (people kindly correct me if I'm wrong). GPU wise, I believe the cooling performance is similar with other cases supporting single fan GPU. Now of course it's an entirely different matter if we talk about single fan GPU VS dual or triple fans..

* Edit: PSU as well. As of now I think SFX is kinda good balanced solution. I'm not ready to jump to Flex PSU.. those little tornadoes. Yeah I know the Noctua fan mod but I personally don't feel comfortable with such non-standard mods.

Btw I'm not so sure what you mean with this? Do you mean someone should try to make a universal half length heatsink for GPUs? Actually that would be a great idea, although I'm not sure how technically that can be achieved.

Edit: well Arctic Accelero did that at 51mm thick: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/accelero-mono-plus.html They mentioned that cooling capacity is.. 200 watts.

Edit: this looks cool but sadly discontinued: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/vga-cooler/setsugen-2.html

Yes, what I mean is enabling potential users to adapt an existing GPU to a compatible form factor.
The specific example I used is the Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 (triple fan) which actually had a 'Nano' PCB.
Adapting that to a single fan would lower the cooling potential somewhat, but for majority of use cases would make no difference at all.

Also agreed... I came to the MI-6 cause it has the golden SFF trio of ITX, SFX and 2 Slot GPU.

Do you mean someone should try to make a universal half length heatsink for GPUs? Actually that would be a great idea, although I'm not sure how technically that can be achieved.
Yes, thats what I was getting at. It seems industry will no longer build us SFF cards sadly.
It would open up alot more options for the MI-6 and similar.

We did a little speculation on a MATX version back a few pages. If I recall the MATX version increased case size by 1.44X if proportions were kept the same. A DTX version was about 1.18X.
Neither could fit any current 2080TI cards, but I think both fit the Zotac 1080ti mini.

Thats what I mean - GPU options are severely limited at the moment.

Reactions: ignsvn