Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
Perhaps r/sffpc or some of the other Reddit subs? I will be disappointed if this production run doesn't come to fruition as I think this is really the perfect balance for getting strong performance without running super low wattage or low profile parts. I am using an old Liab Li PC-V351B which is still a solid case and could be easily recycled, but I would really love to halve the footprint on my next build.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
@huddy yes there are some conversations over on r/sffpc. I haven't seen much in the way of re-directs (or whatever they call them) from reddit., however. I've been pushing on twitter quite a bit, but the main interest is coming from the computer forums.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
5 days to go to get to 75 orders for this next batch of cases. If we don't get enough orders, I'll switch to working on improvements for a next version. Maybe 8 liters? Maybe built-in room for 215mm GPU? rad? Who knows, but it will be fun.

Reactions: chyll2 and Boil

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
5 days to go to get to 75 orders for this next batch of cases. If we don't get enough orders, I'll switch to working on improvements for a next version. Maybe 8 liters? Maybe built-in room for 215mm GPU? rad? Who knows, but it will be fun.

I think that would be a good move @firewolfy, make it compatible with the Zotac minis.

Reactions: Boil

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
Honestly I don't want any changes made to this case, I love it, it is exactly what I want. If it gets any bigger, I'll probably end up settling with another one.

I've been trying to share it in popular channels, but unsuccessfully so far. As I've said before it would be easier if I had one myself plus a nice camera. For example, I haven't found a build using this case in PCPP. There was one with some nice pictures in /r/sffpc, I might ask the OP if it's ok for me to repost it.

I just find it hard to believe that this case wouldn't be able to reach 75 orders with a bit more marketing. I'll try to stick with it for as long as I can.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I re-read my post and realized that I didn't mention the publicity I'm still doing. I have not given up and certainly hope to get to 75, but just shared some thoughts about where to go next.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Whoever wants to promote MI-6 can use my pics. Just search in this forum's build log thread. I also plan to upgrade & rebuild with newer hardware somewhere in January or Feb, and re-shoot for better pics.

I personally think that moving to support longer GPU will bring the case to Dan A4 area. There's obvious benefit in supporting longer GPU but there will be sacrifice in volume as well as more competition.

@firewolfy, is it possible to go for batch 2 with just 40-50 cases?

Reactions: Prothea

huddy

Caliper Novice
Aug 22, 2018
I personally think that moving to support longer GPU will bring the case to Dan A4 area. There's obvious benefit in supporting longer GPU but there will be sacrifice in volume as well as more competition.

@firewolfy, is it possible to go for batch 2 with just 40-50 cases?

Spot on there. I want a small, sharp looking workstation that packs a moderate amount of power for non-professional use while not looking like a LAN party box (nothing against those designs, they're very well done). I don't think anything has come as close as the MI-6 especially since the extra volume allows more component flexibility and cooling ability than the Hahutzy XS style cases.

Count me as one of those folks who would Be willing to see what it takes to get a production run around 40 cases.

Reactions: ignsvn and Prothea

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
Me as well. You compromise too much moving much smaller, but you can do a a lot with what the MI6 can do in its current iteration.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
If, perhaps the 2nd batch can be done for smaller amount (~40-50) for higher price (say just like the first edition)..

Prothea

Average Stuffer
Aug 26, 2018
If, perhaps the 2nd batch can be done for smaller amount (~40-50) for higher price (say just like the first edition)..
I'd be willing to pay a bit more, it would mean I would have to replace fewer parts when migrating to a newer case, and I'd save money in the end.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I really like this case, but I've been wanting to move to a 1080ti (currently on a 1080) for stronger rendering performance. Best of luck on getting to 75 though, love the compact design. Any future chance for an added handle design like the cerberus x?

Reactions: ignsvn

vitorfernandes87

Cable Smoosher
Apr 13, 2018
Like they said before, maybe the 2nd batch can be smaller and with equal prices form the 1st batch. I'd be willing to pay a bit more.
For my opinion, the shape of this case is perfect. If you change it, it will get closer to other boxes on the market and that isn't the best option.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I really like this case, but I've been wanting to move to a 1080ti (currently on a 1080) for stronger rendering performance. Best of luck on getting to 75 though, love the compact design. Any future chance for an added handle design like the cerberus x?

I guess 1080Ti requires more sacrifice in terms of volume as you may need to go bigger :)

Regarding handle design.. At a glance I see 2 possible spots: top cover and divider wall . However... I don't think it's strong enough to attach the handle to the top cover - not sure if the screws can handle the weight. And from what I see now, it's kinda hard to attach anything to the divider wall without significantly altering the design.

Anyway.. where we going we don't need handles.

Edit: who am I kidding. Let @firewolfy answer your question about handle :D

Last edited:
Reactions: firewolfy

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
As far as a handle, the top plate can 'handle' it, but yeah I'd have to think about how we make sure the 4 screws are tight when carrying it around. Hmmm....

A 40-50pc batch would cost more than the last batch, since the I've made the divider and frame a bit more complex. I'll find out.

Yeah, increasing the volume may put it into the A4, Ghost, Lazer realm. But a lot of us want to run high-end hardware, and the case won't fit the 20-series GPUs. If they come out in mini sizes less than 190mm (I'm looking at you Gigabyte), then the case would be sweet just as it is.

@rfarmer thanks for adding yours to pcpartspicker

Reactions: Prothea

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
As far as a handle, the top plate can 'handle' it, but yeah I'd have to think about how we make sure the 4 screws are tight when carrying it around. Hmmm....

Interesting. Won't the weight cause extra wear & tear on the screw threads?