Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
I just realized that A) I'm on the losing side of the poll :\ B) Maybe it's a good thing if version 1 wins, because I just noticed that these vertically bent front edges would make MI-6 strikingly similar in design language to Louqe's S1.

If version 1 wins the poll, would you consider reducing the bend radius a bit, just to see how it looks? Because I think the smaller radius is part of the appeal of version 2, and maybe it could improve version 1 as well...?

Reactions: Biowarejak

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I just realized that A) I'm on the losing side of the poll :\ B) Maybe it's a good thing if version 1 wins, because I just noticed that these vertically bent front edges would make MI-6 strikingly similar in design language to Louqe's S1.

If version 1 wins the poll, would you consider reducing the bend radius a bit, just to see how it looks? Because I think the smaller radius is part of the appeal of version 2, and maybe it could improve version 1 as well...?
Eggdk,
Yes, i noticed the front bend similarity with louqe when they showed their redesign, but louqe is shorter and deeper like A4, so there is a bit of separation.
As far as additional tweaks, sorry but it is very unlikely, as time is about up, and samples and production are next.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, about 1/2 and hour to go on the voting. To keep everyone up to date, the PM'd votes from [H] forum members are 1 for version 1, and 4 for version 2.

So right now the tally stands at:
16 for V1
20 for V2.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm one of those who can't make the decision. Both are beautiful. Personally prefer V2, but I'll be damned if one day I want to customize that front panel.

@firewolfy,
Any photo of a prototype of V2? Curious on how the new panel design look with that textured mate paint.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I'm one of those who can't make the decision. Both are beautiful. Personally prefer V2, but I'll be damned if one day I want to customize that front panel.

@firewolfy,
Any photo of a prototype of V2? Curious on how the new panel design look with that textured mate paint.

Hey bro,
I don't have a prototype of the V2, just renders. Also, all the surfaces (for V1 or V2) are now to be brushed black anodized (ref post #204).

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@firewolfy

Didn't notice that anodized surface, thanks for informing!

Still can't decide, both are beautiful. I'll just go with whatever the result is :)

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I really like the look of version 2 also I am just wondering if the front IO and power button will remain attached to the front, and how much that will allow you to remove the cover from the frame?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Loving V.2, rounding those edges on the front plate make it far more attractive to me and seem less "mail-boxy".

Yes, the change to the curves from <top front-to-back> to <front top-to-bottom> is awesome, and not having the four screws on the front face clean it up nicely, especially around the front I/O.

Adding the 'half holes' to smooth out the overall venting patterns would be nice as well.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I really like the look of version 2 also I am just wondering if the front IO and power button will remain attached to the front, and how much that will allow you to remove the cover from the frame?

Check the newer pics here & at [H], one of these threads shows that the front I/O is probably attached to the front INNER chassis, the outer shell has cutouts for the ports...

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Thanks peeps for all the polling feedback. --It is good to hear from so many that found both versions appealing.

A bit of news to share:
1) Tuesday the fab house gave me their standard 4-6 wk timing for the proto samples. When I asked yesterday if they could improve on that, they said they should be able to beat that timing. 4-6 wks seemed a bit long to me, so I'm glad they can do some expediting.
2) Wednesday the custom PCB company told me they would complete the sample I/O board and short cabling next week. So heck, maybe I will be able to offer the I/O option with optimized cable lengths!

Next step is verifying details of the cover and top plate prototype order, and then kick it off!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Sweet! Nice catch bro!

This is especially sweet from the specs page:
Card size H=37 L=169 W=131 mm
Which is exactly the same size as the Giga 1070 ITX I have already fit in the MI-6 with no problems!!

I wonder how de-shrouding & replacing the fan on the 1070 or 1080 with a NF-A9x14 would affect temps...?

Now you need to acquire one for temps testing, and get some NVMe M.2 back-o'-the-motherboard temps too...?!? ;^p

I am interested in any thoughts / sketches / renders of the (sorry, Loque) 'top-hat' idea for exhaust fans...

Dual NF-A9x14s (92mm x 15mm / PWM) exhausting up top should really help keep temps down...!

Sorry, a bunch of ideas & thoughts fell out of my head, I had to put them somewhere...

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
I wonder how de-shrouding & replacing the fan on the 1070 or 1080 with a NF-A9x14 would affect temps...?

Now you need to acquire one for temps testing, and get some NVMe M.2 back-o'-the-motherboard temps too...?!? ;^p

I am interested in any thoughts / sketches / renders of the (sorry, Loque) 'top-hat' idea for exhaust fans...

Dual NF-A9x14s (92mm x 15mm / PWM) exhausting up top should really help keep temps down...!

Sorry, a bunch of ideas & thoughts fell out of my head, I had to put them somewhere...

I know what you mean. I can't think about that until this run is all set, but it sounds great. Let's plan to detail that out in the next few months.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
I'm not sure if you are waiting on final samples from the factory, but could you update the OP with internal dimensions and tolerances for GPU length and CPU heatsink height?

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I'm not sure if you are waiting on final samples from the factory, but could you update the OP with internal dimensions and tolerances for GPU length and CPU heatsink height?

+1

Also add that Gigabyte 1080 mini iTX on the list of supported GPU :)

@firewolfy, I think this is really a great news, at least marketing wise (Imagine like.. "GTX 1080 ITX in a 6+ litter case")

LOL I imagine @Boil mashing that refresh button on the Gigabyte website page thinking "Cmon.. gimme that 1080 ITX.." :D