Completed The MI-6 Microtower Case: Performance in 6.7L

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Cool! Won't hold you to it but were you thinking of getting the first batch out within this year or early next?

LOL, -gotta get a batch out this year for sure. Just about all the quotes are in now, and getting close to pulling the trigger!

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Please sign me up firewolfy! :)

The final design with the new venting pattern turned out really nice.

Only thing that bugs me is that the passive SFX-L coming next year does not seem to fit together with a bottom fan.

Thanks Mackan. Yeah, SFX-L takes an extra 25mm so there isn't much room left, around 67mm max. Having a 60mm fan buzzing kind of defeats the purpose of the passive PSU, eh. If it's any consolation, I Never hear my Corsair SFX SF450, when I'm running games with a 6700K and GTX1060. I hear the Noctua 92mm CPU cooler fan a bit tho.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Thanks Mackan. Yeah, SFX-L takes an extra 25mm so there isn't much room left, around 67mm max. Having a 60mm fan buzzing kind of defeats the purpose of the passive PSU, eh. If it's any consolation, I Never hear my Corsair SFX SF450, when I'm running games with a 6700K and GTX1060. I hear the Noctua 92mm CPU cooler fan a bit tho.

I've had two SF600. The first one I gave away in a build to the parents. The second one I am using right now. However, the one I gave away was quieter... The one I am using right now has some audiable coilwhine in a silent room, and seem to ramp up the fan more aggressively. I think this syncs with what other reports - big inconsistences between these corsair units.

For fanless PSU enthusiasts, we can wait for the announced SFX-L model, and also the bigger ATX 600W unit from Seasonic supposedly to be released this month.

Reactions: Biowarejak

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Ok, quick update (itemized and all!) --
1) Waiting on power switch pre-production sample. Probably be a couple weeks.
2) I have the fabrication quote, as I mentioned before, and met with the fab house last week and went over all the drawings. Now waiting on a sample run quote which I expect this week.
3) Here is the planned nameplate on the back of the case, black anodized plate with laser etched lettering:

4) And a side items
I found a good supplier to do a custom front I/O Board. So if this works out and timing works, the USB, audio and power button cables won't be 60cm long (std Corsair solution), but rather about 25cm. Waiting on pre-production sample in a couple weeks. Worst case, the custom board get incorporated on a later run.

5) And one more item: I did a bit of modeling and ended up with the thick alum plate moved up onto the top of the case, instead of the front. Maybe it's an idea, maybe not. Here are a couple renders and let me know what you think.

Everything is brushed black anodized alum. Here the cover slides off the front as 1 pc:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@firewolfy,

I like the new front plate, it looks way cleaner without the screws (I hope it doesn't increase the cost). And by the look of it, it's all flat countersunk screws? Nice!

I found a good supplier to do a custom front I/O Board. So if this works out and timing works, the USB, audio and power cables won't be 60cm long (std Corsair solution), but rather about 25cm. Waiting on pre-production sample in a couple weeks. Worst case, the custom board get incorporated on a later run.

Now THIS! I couldn't be happier :thumb:EDIT: I'm seriously so happy with 25cm USB 3.0 cable.

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
ignsvn,
Thanks for the feedback bro. And yeah, it would be sweet to get that custom board in!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
3) Here is the planned nameplate on the back of the case, black anodized plate with laser etched lettering:

4) And a side items
I found a good supplier to do a custom front I/O Board. So if this works out and timing works, the USB, audio and power button cables won't be 60cm long (std Corsair solution), but rather about 25cm. Waiting on pre-production sample in a couple weeks. Worst case, the custom board get incorporated on a later run.

5) And one more item: I did a bit of modeling and ended up with the thick alum plate moved up onto the top of the case, instead of the front. Maybe it's an idea, maybe not. Here are a couple renders and let me know what you think.

Everything is brushed black anodized alum. Here the cover slides off the front as 1 pc:

Thoughts?

Fan spec on the serial # plate needs to be 92x15...

Love the MI-6 S/N 007...!

So, custom order front I/O, possibility of black USB ports...?!?

I know, I am flogging the shit out of that dead horse...! ;^p

I like the change to the top panel / wrap-around shell...!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
The normal front plate is iconic to me, but the new design certainly is good too :)

firewolfy

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 12, 2015
Fan spec on the serial # plate needs to be 92x15...

Love the MI-6 S/N 007...!

So, custom order front I/O, possibility of black USB ports...?!?

I know, I am flogging the shit out of that dead horse...! ;^p

I like the change to the top panel / wrap-around shell...!
Boil,
LOL, I did ask about black on the USB, but they said nope, unless order is like 1000.

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
@Fire; I strongly prefer your new orientation, where the bends are in the vertical direction. I can see where the other guys are coming from, that the iconic shape changes quite drastically and they are put off by it. But in my eyes it's an improvement..

On another note, I have an urge to return to the hole pattern discussion. (I know we spent time on this already, and you basically landed on my favorite pattern - so I'm not complaining :)) But I think it could be even better if you added half-length rectangles at the ends, in order to make the hole section seem more like a rectangular area (does this make sense?) I will try to show my meaning below: