Concept The ]M[-itx 2-in-1: 7.4 to 9.7 resize-able Case

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
HI All,

I would like to introduce you to my second attempt in a casing. its a concept that i have been keeping for more than a year. I got consumed with my other project the console style casing.

it is a tower casing with the goal a foot print that is exactly of a CD pack in it's smallest form.

specs:

construction made all from aluminum. CNC parts thickness 2-3 mm.

config-1:

size : 7.4 liters

H x W x L : 326 x 126 x 180 mm

GPU: full length upto 300 mm
MB: itx
HDD: 2 x 2.5
psu: sfx - sfx-L
AIO: 90mm with 40 mm thickness.
PCIe-rizer required

Config-2:

size: 9.7 liters

H x W x L : 326 x 126 x 236 mm

GPU: full length upto 300 mm
MB: itx
HDD: 4 x 2.5
PSU: sfx - sfxL
AIO: 240 mm with 53 mm thickness
PCIe rizer required
tempered glass or acrylic are options.

below are some other rendered shots of its composition and sizes

The case uses the same side panles for both configs all you need to do is attach the AIO attachment and two top and bottom panels to increase the size to fit the AIO.

What do you guys think? let me know your thoughts. almost forgot, the design take the same riser flipping concept from my first project to keep the mother-board ports out to the back of the case.

SIncerely

Marwan

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Neat to see! I know a lot of folks have been looking for a vertically-oriented sandwich-style case and extra support for AIOs will tick a lot of boxes for people.

Question: Will your plan be to provide a PCIe riser with the case? Have you performed any long-term testing with the 90-degree folded riser?

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Neat to see! I know a lot of folks have been looking for a vertically-oriented sandwich-style case and extra support for AIOs will tick a lot of boxes for people.

Question: Will your plan be to provide a PCIe riser with the case? Have you performed any long-term testing with the 90-degree folded riser?

That's a good point. I would totally rig up a pcie to u.2 cable and then back again to connect to the GPU. Would prevent that bend work minimal performance loss.

Reactions: annasoh323

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018

my personal rig from my other project uses the riser and it bent 90 degrees so far no problems and its been almost a year. the pcie risers will be provided with the case.

Reactions: annasoh323

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I am having a rethought to the design (appearance not structure), if you have ideas to share let me know.

myfirstpcyay

Average Stuffer
Mar 7, 2018
I've been waiting for something like this. Essentially a square base, vertical tower type case. Can you incorporate the same cutouts as your other case project?

Sashby

Average Stuffer
Nov 13, 2017
How will the display cables connect to the GPU? In one of your renders it looks like the cables connect through a hole in the top corner of the rear panel? You'd need some seriously low profile cables to make that work.
There's been a couple advances from ADT-Link recently in terms of Displayport and HDMI spec to current standards and further options (the DP and rotated male HDMI are new).
EDIT: nvm I just noticed in this render (far right, with glass side panel) you've made a cutout above the GPU IO on the top of case.

ADT-Link DP extension cable male to female interface displayport extension cable 1.4 HD adapter cable display cable

ADT-Link HDMI 2.0 built-in extension cable supports 2K/144hz 4K/60Hz flat cable

Last edited:

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I've been waiting for something like this. Essentially a square base, vertical tower type case. Can you incorporate the same cutouts as your other case project?
I am thinking of that too. Thanks for the suggestion I am happy you like the idea

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I cannot really see it from the render, so all the IOs (motherboard, GPU & power) are still facing back side? This is nice.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
I cannot really see it from the render, so all the IOs (motherboard, GPU & power) are still facing back side? This is nice.
Thank you. The gpu ports are attached from top and the cables are passed through the square hole in the top right corner in the last render image. So basically yes all ports are from the back.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Noted. Any top render?

Also, in reality you may want to give more space between those 2 drives, perhaps like 5 or 7 mm. SATA power connectors which are non-terminus (shown in green boxes below) will need some area to be bent:

*Btw I saw in other thread that you just got married. Congratulation.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Noted. Any top render?

Also, in reality you may want to give more space between those 2 drives, perhaps like 5 or 7 mm. SATA power connectors which are non-terminus (shown in green boxes below) will need some area to be bent:

*Btw I saw in other thread that you just got married. Congratulation.
Thank you so much.

I will look into the spacing.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
This is such an awesome design. It looks great. I love how it can go from 90mm AIO (which I don't see pictures of where it mounts) to 240mm AIO with a few screws! really awesome design.

Seriously, I'm going to put my hand up now to be a beta tester (if you are going to have testers).

One design tweak that could be made is make the cover where the GPU cables come out to be taller and use normal HDMI/DP cables and add a couple USB 3.1 type A ports under the power switch... But it may end up being very tall that portion.

PS congrats on getting married!

Reactions: Marwan

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Yup hands up for beta testing as well.
I also suggest to have options for a totally separate single panels for each sides rather than only relying on extensions. Not being disrespectful, but the extension panels look a bit out of place.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
Thank you guys for your suggestions i'll into them and see what can I come up with.

And thanks a lot for your congrats I appreciate it deeply.

For the beta testing ??? ... Thank you also for considering it makes me happy to see that this design have potential.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
Thank you guys for your suggestions i'll into them and see what can I come up with.

And thanks a lot for your congrats I appreciate it deeply.

For the beta testing ??? ... Thank you also for considering it makes me happy to see that this design have potential.

This design is awesome, not only does it look great but it's functional as well as the vents are well opened.

The icing on the cake is if it could use standard off the shelf demc dust filters on the inside of the intake vents.

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
The icing on the cake is if it could use standard off the shelf demc dust filters on the inside of the intake vents.

Good suggestion, although the chassis will most probably be made of aluminum but i'll do some research about it.

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
Good suggestion, although the chassis will most probably be made of aluminum but i'll do some research about it.

They come with a magnetic frame with tape on one side that you can use to stick to the inside of the case. So the filter then sticks magnetically to the frame like the dan A4 filters

Marwan

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 5, 2018
They come with a magnetic frame with tape on one side that you can use to stick to the inside of the case. So the filter then sticks magnetically to the frame like the dan A4 filters
Thats a good call, will check the sizes of them.