The Great ODD debate

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Sep 2, 2016
Concur; although Ultra HD Blu-ray is selling well... not everyone has reliable/dependable nor quick internet access.
I think this is really the key to this discussion. If you've got semi-decent internet (i.e. at the very least 25Mbps) then chances are that steam/etc will be your primary source for games. But if you're living somewhere where decent internet just doesn't exist or not at a reasonable price then you'll most likely be forced to buy games physically and suddenly an ODD is an requirement even in a gaming PC.
The same applies to HTPC builds, with the exception that some people might already have large DVD/BR collections even though they now have access to decent internet.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Need an ODD all the time? Yes: Put one in your case. No: Buy a USB-powered ODD or put one in an external enclosure for the rare times you might need one, and keep it in your parts closet (you know you have one, you pack rat) when not needed.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think this is really the key to this discussion. If you've got semi-decent internet (i.e. at the very least 25Mbps) then chances are that steam/etc will be your primary source for games. But if you're living somewhere where decent internet just doesn't exist or not at a reasonable price then you'll most likely be forced to buy games physically and suddenly an ODD is an requirement even in a gaming PC.
The worst offender I've witnessed was a game that had 10GB on-disc and on installation you needed to download an additional 30GB. Luckily that's not always the case but I've seen plenty of single or double-digit gigabyte patches you need to download to play a game on release. Even for consoles this happens regularly. If I try to imagine the world where this is a problem, I'd be pretty infuriated too.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I mainly use the internal blu-ray drive for ripping blu-ray's, cd's and the occasional back-up. It also feels obligatory for an HTPC to be able to read disks if someone comes over with something not already in my NAS-library.

If there had been an external option when I bought it I might have sprung for it - but it is darn convenient not to have to got to the parts-closet and rummage through the boxes of spare-parts and other paraphernalia. It is especially convenient when the slot doesn't take up extra space, like in the Ncase M1. Lack of it was actually one of those things that initially bothered me with the design of the Cerberus.

Reactions: ricochet

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There were a few concerns with the way I handled moving the ODD derail from this topic to this new thread. To be clear, offtopic derails are not (currently) against the rules, and as long as they don't get too out of hand will be allowed.

But the forum needed an ODD thread anyway so I just moved the posts from the derail and made a new thread out of them. Feel free to derail this thread to let me know if you have any questions or concerns about it :p

It is especially convenient when the slot doesn't take up extra space, like in the Ncase M1. Lack of it was actually one of those things that initially bothered me with the design of the Cerberus.

That's the issue, where the slim drive fits in the M1 was otherwise wasted space, but on Cerberus it's used for venting. I could maybe have figured out a place to put one, but I primarily design cases that I personally want, and I don't need an ODD so I didn't bother to make room :p

I used to get complaints regularly about the lack of an ODD mount, but I've noticed over time that I've gotten fewer and fewer comments about it. And now I can't remember the last time someone asked for it, so it looks like I'll be able to get away with never having a Kimera Industries case with ODD support :D

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
That's the issue, where the slim drive fits in the M1 was otherwise wasted space, but on Cerberus it's used for venting. I could maybe have figured out a place to put one, but I primarily design cases that I personally want, and I don't need an ODD so I didn't bother to make room :p
I used to get complaints regularly about the lack of an ODD mount, but I've noticed over time that I've gotten fewer and fewer comments about it. And now I can't remember the last time someone asked for it, so it looks like I'll be able to get away with never having a Kimera Industries case with ODD support :D

It would have been a nice addition but driver-less is a valid design-choice. Especially if there isn't an obvious place to put the holes without ruining the aesthetic. Adding things just to have them is a reason we have itx-cases bigger than the Cerberus-X
I might tape a slim-drive to the back of the power-supply and remove the top-panel when I want to rip things. :p

Yes, finally. Time to start saving change to buy new hard-drives for the NAS. :cool:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Excellent! Now we just need playback software, or rather, an update to Redfox née Slysoft's AnyDVD-HD so we can use existing playback software. And HDR monitors available for PC. And for Microsoft, AMD and Nvidia to get their act together on sorting out a high-bit-depth and alternate colourspace pipeline that actually works without copious mucking about, manual intervention, or proprietary APIs (WTF there, AMD! Way to sneak that requirement into the Freesync 2 announcement).

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
If you regularly play optical media, I think it makes complete sense to have an internal drive. Fully contained is just much more elegant IF you are regularly using it.

Great point, plus you might be capped, you might Netflix your bill right up & really would it really be a big thing... Slim ODDs require little room... Software (most of it) is on ODD still, yes they have externals, but those are limited by USB speed & I know of no eSATA ext. ODD... Why just make a media player that streams when you can get a movie & play it on a nice small media center you made? I don't think USB is fast enough for a movies, surely not HD & you can take the same pc to a lan if you game on it... I made a case in protocase, but the quote is $900+ so that is a no go, anyone want to check it out (protocase required)?

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Sorry for the thread resurrection but I’m in the process of building a new rig based on my “soon to arrive” Ncase M1 v5 and would like to add a slim blue ray-dvd player on the front a lot.
Problem is I can’t find one :(
Anyone has a link and/or a suggestion for a good one please ?

Thanks in advance

chiliwili

Chassis Packer
Mar 3, 2018
I am moving my system to a NFC S4M and need an external ODD. I really only need it to read Blu-Ray, DVD and CD not burn anything.
From what I am reading most of the slim USB3 models are hit or miss as far as actually working. When you do get one that actually works it is much slower than an internal.

Any suggestions?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I am moving my system to a NFC S4M and need an external ODD. I really only need it to read Blu-Ray, DVD and CD not burn anything.
From what I am reading most of the slim USB3 models are hit or miss as far as actually working. When you do get one that actually works it is much slower than an internal.

Any suggestions?

I've had a USB Plextor drive for nearly seven years now and it still works for me. I hate blu ray software though so I don't use it much as a BROM reader anymore. USB ODD have always worked well enough for me...I've had an Amazon basics one for years and use it regularly.

It's true the slot loading drives, at least in my experience, are junk. I've bought and used them for mods in the past and I don't think I even have one today that works properly. I have two in inventory for ages now and I pulled them out to do a weird recovery on a system and neither worked right. One is a LG rebranded by HP and the other a Toshiba. I've used other brands in the past too but haven't had alot of luck. I've also replaced a few in laptops/all in ones.

Good luck!

chiliwili

Chassis Packer
Mar 3, 2018
I've had a USB Plextor drive for nearly seven years now and it still works for me. I hate blu ray software though so I don't use it much as a BROM reader anymore. USB ODD have always worked well enough for me...I've had an Amazon basics one for years and use it regularly.

It's true the slot loading drives, at least in my experience, are junk. I've bought and used them for mods in the past and I don't think I even have one today that works properly. I have two in inventory for ages now and I pulled them out to do a weird recovery on a system and neither worked right. One is a LG rebranded by HP and the other a Toshiba. I've used other brands in the past too but haven't had alot of luck. I've also replaced a few in laptops/all in ones.

Good luck!

I have a good 5.25" Blu-Ray drive in my system now. Looking for a way to convert it over to USB 3 or eSATA.
I only use it to rip music and movies and it works great for that. Maybe snake a SATA cable out the back of the S4M and use a small 100 watt PSU to power it?