Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Next step & Idea to discuss.

I'm thinking doing a much simpler idea. This consist to modify and extend the top plate structure by 30mm to inclure directly the Fan mounting holes.
The Fan would be included inside the main structure, no more parts ... and could be send directly with new orders.
As a finition, a covering in one part has to be designed
This could be done easily by 3D printing or by plastic molding. This could be done very nicely in one stamped metallic part (mesh directly) but this would required hard tooling and depends on quantity. Due to that aspect I think that we will go first with 3D printing.

To

Comment:
- A complete skin could be done to cover the plate but this consist in a new version of the aesthetic.

Any comment ? Who is interested ?

Hello, not really understand everything =(
You want to make the upper cover 30mm higher? And just put the fan incide? If this is it, how to make the top buttons accessible?
And for persons who already owns the case, it will suffise to order new higher cover?
Or I get it wrong?

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Why : too much parts, will be too expensive. Also adjustment isn't easy ...
Also impossible to mount back screws & the slicone Fan mount (could be corrected off course).
By my experience there is no needs to fix fan.
What is the estimated price? I got my top hat 3d printed for 25EUR.

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
I see a downside to having the top fan inside the case - once the top fan is installed, the case will no longer work in fanless mode as the fan blades seem to completely cover the top hole and would prevent the air to rise unimpeded in fanless mode. Well, unless there is an easy way to take the fan out and put it back, I guess.

That being said, I'm ok with this case redesign... just let's have the top fan someway! :)

Nord1ing, I imagine the 3D printed fan cover you designed is made out of plastic. How does it behave wrt vibrations? This is my worry with anything that has to hold something with moving parts - the fan vibrations might make the fan cover vibrate as well, and in worse case scenario the case itself will amplify those vibrations too. This is a danger with the fixed fan inside the case scenario too, btw.

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
How does it behave wrt vibrations? This is my worry with anything that has to hold something with moving parts - the fan vibrations might make the fan cover vibrate as well, and in worse case scenario the case itself will amplify those vibrations too. This is a danger with the fixed fan inside the case scenario too, btw.
@bbalex I have no problems with vibration in my rig at any fan speeds.?
The fan is installed with rubber pads and tightly held by the upper panel, which is screwed to the bottom panel, which is crewed to case. And the top plate is glued to the upper plate. The external skin fits tightly and is also held with screws.

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Hi everyone!
I have one more subject to rise - USB namings.
I don't know if it is obvious for everybody and it is just me, but I'm just ordered the first with some USB 3.0 extender cables and was lost a little bit because all new motherboards have USB 3.1 gen 1/2 or 3.2 gen 1/2...
Just proposing to add a description to USB 3.0 extender cable that this is the same thing as USB 3.1 gen 1 or USB 3.2 gen 1. Just numerous renamings of standard...
MB it will help someone.

Reactions: Nord1ing

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@Eduard
For the top Fan proposal, in that case there won't be any power button on the top.
I'm thinking in that case to put it on the back panel and have a really smooth shape for the top seeing well the 200mm.
By doing in 3D we still can propose a solution with PWS accesible anyway.

The top fan KIT will be then composed by:
- New top plate structure (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3754450)
- 3D printed cover
- 4 M3 screws
- 200mm Fan
- 4 silicone fixture

@Nord1ing
For the price, I think we can have the new fixture plate at around 15€ for some quantities.
Then we need to do the 3D print that is easy for someone and for ML.
I'm also thinking how to implement easily an other technic based on mesh.
--> This is the cheapest way I think

Also the idea behind is to be able to propose a complete new skin that will be higher and covering the sides of the 200mm.

@bbalex
You are right, the 200mm Fan will prevent some heat to go easily up. I think that performance will be lower for 5-10°C when it's not activated.
For me the 200mm hmakes sense for people that want to have a Fan working all the time !
Don't worry about the vibration. Even when you just put the fan on the standard case you don't feel any vibration. The 200mm Fan has such low RPM !!

@Eduard (bis)
Sorry I didn't get your point on USB ? We need to say compatible with 3.1/3.2 ?

Reactions: Nord1ing and Eduard

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
So which mainboard is the best option for an 3600 in this case? Do you guys have any experiences, or should i wait for a MAX version?

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
So which mainboard is the best option for an 3600 in this case? Do you guys have any experiences, or should i wait for a MAX version?
Hi, I was looking on MSI b450I Gaming Plus AC. It is good enough for 3600 and not expansive. I didn't find any MAX version of itx mother boards. So you are looking part of bios supporting old CPU, but who cares...
But keep in mind that you need a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen to flash the bios in order to get support of 3600. Or some vendors are doing it for extra money.

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Hello,
Could somebody give me a link for CPU underwolting manual using off sets? I wasn't able to find anything detailed.
I took a i7-9700k that can be handled by the First, but the mother board put 1.35volts on load boosting all cores to 4.6Ghz. It creates too much heat. Temps stabilise at 90-100C... That is why I'm looking to control this boost and voltage.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello,
Could somebody give me a link for CPU underwolting manual using off sets? I wasn't able to find anything detailed.
I took a i7-9700k that can be handled by the First, but the mother board put 1.35volts on load boosting all cores to 4.6Ghz. It creates too much heat. Temps stabilise at 90-100C... That is why I'm looking to control this boost and voltage.
Hello, inside the MSI dedicated softaware (afterburner) you should be able to choose frequency and/boost option.

Nord1ing

Average Stuffer
Dec 5, 2018
Hello,
Here, it's applicable to desktop cpu:

P.S.:
What is power consumption reported by hwmonitor?
My CPU even with 150W package did not heat up more than 70C (under prime95), with fans at 50%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eduard

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
Here, it's applicable to desktop cpu:

P.S.:
What is power consumption reported by hwmonitor?
My CPU even with 150W package did not heat up more than 70C (under prime95), with fans at 50%.
Didn't check the power consumption but your result probably indicates that I have a bad contact with heatspreader... Need to reassamble it =(

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Still avaialble configuration

Configuration 1:
CPU i5-8500 - MB Gigabyte Z370N wifi - 16Go DDR - SSD 840Evo 240Go - RTX 2070 - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm
Configuration 2:
CPU Ryzen 7 2700 - MB ROG B450i-Gaming - 16Go DDR - SSD Kingston SA 400 120Go - RTX 2070 - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm
Configuration 3:
CPU i5 9600K - MB Asrock Z390m - 32 Go DDR - M.2 970 Evo 1To - RTX 2070 - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm
Configuration 4:
CPU Ryzen 1700 - MB Asrock X370 Gaming - 32Go DDR - SSD 860Evo 1To - GTX 1660ti - SGX650W - Noctua 140mm

2 pre prod case still available
3 second hand case avaialble

Update: standard case will be available end ot the month.

Special price for people coming from the forum :)

Last edited:

dudeperm87

Caliper Novice
Mar 10, 2019
So i am not sure which configuration to get. At first i was thninking about getting a Ryzen 3600 and a Nvidia 2070.

So can the first actually cool that cpu properly? I read somewhere that the 3600 is difficult to cool and gets really hot because of the 7 nm die which is very small. Also the 3600 can not be undervoltet properly.

I am just wondering if this is the a good cpu for the case in general.

Eduard

Trash Compacter
May 31, 2019
So i am not sure which configuration to get. At first i was thninking about getting a Ryzen 3600 and a Nvidia 2070.

So can the first actually cool that cpu properly? I read somewhere that the 3600 is difficult to cool and gets really hot because of the 7 nm die which is very small. Also the 3600 can not be undervoltet properly.

I am just wondering if this is the a good cpu for the case in general.
Ryzen 3600 is only 65 Watt TDP. It will be colled easily.
I also saw reports about difficulties with undervolt/overclock Ryzen 3000, but you don't even need to undervolt it. Just run it as it is. AMD has already pushed it to the limit =)
The die is small, but the IHS is big (bigger than Intel). It will benefit from big contact area on "first".
And I advise to take super version of Nvidia card (2060 or 2070).