Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
Thank you for all the tests! The fan would be really useful while gaming. According to Noctua's website the fan you used should make less than 10 dBA at the speeds of the last test! Most people have a higher sound floor than that in their homes, so the fan can't be heard.

Will this 20" fan option be available to those that receive their cases in December? If not, will they be able to buy it later and install it on their cases?

I would have one request, to monitor video card memory temperatures as well. In this youtube video for a 3rd party heatsink, a list of GPU/VRM/VRAM temperatures can be seen for several tested heatsinsks on an open bench @ 6:40 mark, and inside a N1 case @ 9:20 mark. The recorded temperatures while in the case were quite high, and this is with small heatsinks glued on top of the memory chips and constant airflow. Would be useful to see what happens when using the First, if it's safe for long gaming sessions.

Also, on the website a VRM heatsink option is mentioned. Did you have the chance to test it?

Last edited:

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Definitely, the Fan helps while you are gaming or making bench. With 200mm Fan, or 140mm Fan from Noctua it's impossible to hear something. at minium speed. You can eventually measure it in a special room.

This option won't be ready in december. Everything is done right now but it will be too hard to manage everyhting at the same time.
We will propose this later on the website.

I can say there is no worry about it. With margins taken on this component, airflow management in the case (bottom up airflow helps a lot) and also adding VRM cooling you definitely do not need to worry about it. Also as the accelerro cooling we can add some taped heatsink on the chip. But this is really important to check that because sometimes, it's better not doing it .... We will check that.

I will analyse the video and try to do the same and check value. Better would also to compare regarding a classic case, in which GPU has not a lot of space to breath and in which airfow are already heat up by global environment.

The VRM heatsink will soon be released. An other video will be done.

blisscalintz

Caliper Novice
Jan 20, 2017
Some update of the first page.

Also testing 200mm Fan on the top of the case to see what happen ;). 2070 has been seen at 55C on 3Dmark !! 59C on Furmark.

This option will be soon available. With mechanical parts off course !!

It will be interesting to see how you go about implementing the 200mm fan into the design. I've only owned 1 case that allowed a 200mm and it pushed a ton of air and was very quiet.

Also, I noticed you had some renders with tempered glass panels. Is this an option you plan to implement in future versions?

bbalex

Chassis Packer
Nov 30, 2018
The items available in the shop changed last week, with the Batch 1 being replaced by a Basic Package an a Premium Package.

Neither of these two new packages have the option for GPU VRM cooling. Could you please give more details on this? Are you looking into a different way of cooling the GPU VRM (and maybe the memory chips)?

Btw, the "download file" link on the Premium Package page is broken, it does not point to a file.

Reactions: Supercluster

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Sorry for the delay, last days was tough with all our activities.

Some news:

We received back panel plate and some cables samples. We will soon publish a doc about this.

Also some riser are coming

regarding questions:

- 200mm option will be released after first deliveries. Just matter of time to work on it ;)
- tempered glass option will also be done in the future. We are testing it right now.

Thx for your feedback on the website we will fix This.

For the VRM this will be an addon right now. We offered this for the first buyers only.

We are working on the website to add options like VRM but right now the plugin is not easy to manipulate and we need to buy extended version of it.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Been looking at this a bit but never really commented, but I do have some thoughts & questions....

Really like the massive universal heat sink

Might we see some testing done with an all AMD build (Ryzen & Vega)

The external ports panel does not look finished, might there be an option for a rubber grommet like one usually sees on the motherboard tray of 'traditional' tower chassis, that way the cables can pass thru easily, but ti is not just a big open hole, & it helps to maintain a 'sealed' chamber for vertical air movement

Assuming a dual fan set-up with a SFX PSU, Noctua NF-A14 under the heat sink pushing, & the NF-A20 above the heat sink pulling; what fan headers are being used...?

Arguments for prioritizing any of the three main headers (CPU. GPU, Chassis) could be made...?

And any test results with subsystem temperatures...? System RAM, M.2 NVMe SSDs (front and/or rear mounted), PCH, VRMs (both motherboard & GPU), PSU...?

It is the subsystem temps that would make me want at least the lower fan hooked to the Chassis Fan Header; now if there were some sort of PCB you could offer that would take PWM signals from both the CPU Fan Header & the GPU Fan Header (and include a 4-pin > VGA adapter) and somehow sum them so the hotter component would be driving the top fan...!?!

Thanks...!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sirex

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@Boil

The back panel will be painted in black and we thought to let it open as it is the back of the chassis.
Indeed this plate and cables extension is an option as we can cable directly to the motherboad & GPU.
An other solution would be to put plastic (3D printed) part into the reamining holes if people wants. That's something we can do.

We have not yet tested both Fan at the same time. I'm not sure this will really change anything as I think the 200mm is exceeding the 140mm.
So we have to do this test. For the priority this will depend of your configuration off course but CPU will be easier to use as it's working most of the time and heat up fastly.

For other values, we can show our full hardware monitor info DATA. I will check what I have on all the builds.
On my computer on which I'm working right now (Open case V2 - 1080 - Z270i- i7 6700K - 2 SSD - 1HDD - ATX Fanless - No Fan)
Only 3D CAD software and some web today ...

--> Some DATA can't be used. If it's true, my computer is litterally burning from months now ;)

Your last point is really a good idea. This is simple and could help.
We were thinking to do a bit of software but that's quite complicated regarding all the boards.
Let's check what can be done and I will come back to you.
Thanks for the idea.

Have a good day,

Reactions: Phuncz

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
We have not yet tested both Fan at the same time. I'm not sure this will really change anything as I think the 200mm is exceeding the 140mm. So we have to do this test. For the priority this will depend of your configuration off course but CPU will be easier to use as it's working most of the time and heat up fastly.

I know the initial idea is maximum passive cooling...
But I would want to place a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU & a Vega 64 in this chassis, so that is about 400 watts or so of heat to dump...
IMO, best cooling would be with the 140mm fan attached to the Chassis Fan Header, the CPU attached to the CPU Fan Header & a SFX-L PSU for the assist in venting the bottom of the chassis with its 120mm fan...

This way, the 140mm fan initiates air movement in the bottom of the chassis (pulling cool air from the bottom opening & past the motherboard (PCH, VRM, RAM); the 200mm fan up top would kick in when the CPU was hot & pull air thru the heat sink...

Your last point is really a good idea. This is simple and could help.
We were thinking to do a bit of software but that's quite complicated regarding all the boards.
Let's check what can be done and I will come back to you.
Thanks for the idea.

When you incorporate it into The First; I will take a complementary chassis (in black with the 200mm fan addition & the PCI riser) for my efforts...!

Also, the Noctua NF-A14 is available in their chromax.black.swap version, and the NF-A20 is also going to be available in a chromax.black.swap version as well...!

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@Boil
We definitely need to test it. We will do it with final version of the top structure.
This will be done after first deliveries.

Thinking about how to do your idea it would be really simple to prototype and implement that with any arduino or equivalent board.
I don't know if this is something people will be happy to but it's simple.
What do you think ?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
We definitely need to test it. We will do it with final version of the top structure.
This will be done after first deliveries.

Thinking about how to do your idea it would be really simple to prototype and implement that with any arduino or equivalent board. I don't know if this is something people will be happy to but it's simple.
What do you think ?

I mean yeah, I obviously think it is a great idea...! ;^p
But seriously, the CPU & GPU are sharing one heat sink, but why should one control the cooling of both...?
Having a small PCB that takes a feed from both the CPU & GPU fan header, and uses the values from the higher temp item to run the top A20 fan seems the way to go...
I would still have a SFX-L PSU with 120mm fan & the A14 fan under the heatsink (attached to the Chassis Fan Header)...
Between the PSU fan & the A14 fan, the bottom chamber of the chassis should have decent air movement & temps, leaving the top A20 to power vent everything out the top...

Is the top fan going to be integrated into the design at some point, or is it going to be an add-on with a visible seam...? I would prefer to see the former...

Really would love to see some testing with a full high power AMD rig (Ryzen 7 2700X & Vega 64)...!

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello from VEGAS. We are preparing the material for the show.

I will post some pictures when everything set up.

If you have the chance to attend to the show please let us know.

Have a good week,

StupiDanger

What's an ITX?
Jan 8, 2019
It is the subsystem temps that would make me want at least the lower fan hooked to the Chassis Fan Header; now if there were some sort of PCB you could offer that would take PWM signals from both the CPU Fan Header & the GPU Fan Header (and include a 4-pin > VGA adapter) and somehow sum them so the hotter component would be driving the top fan...!?!

I'm pretty sure you can use speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) to setup multiple monitors for the same fan - or multiple fans.
Watch for instructions, and add multiple temperatures at configure > fan control (approx 10 mins. into the youtube)