Production The First - Monsterlabo High Performance SFF case & Fanless CPU / GPU

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
Proud owner of the first. Wish I can have it sooner.

Had to ship it to Hong Kong and finally Australia.

So they are sent out when they are individually ready? Or all around December 15.

Looks like open case is only 10% better, with my undervolted 1070 and 1700 should be well within spec.

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Proud owner of the first. Wish I can have it sooner.

Had to ship it to Hong Kong and finally Australia.

So they are sent out when they are individually ready? Or all around December 15.

Looks like open case is only 10% better, with my undervolted 1070 and 1700 should be well within spec.

Hi, Thanks for purchasing ! Sorry for the inconvenience for shipping but we have to learn before shipping so far ;)
For you to know we will ship using DHL. Already complicated to have the pro account ready !

First batch will be send individually. 200% quality check !

For your configuration, this will be perfect !

- - - - - - -

Please note that first batch is closing soon.

- - - - - - -

Today, I made mine with some extra features and scrap parts from prototyping. Goal is to test all the extra and show DIY possibilities.
I took all the component from my Fractal case and set up everything. I never achieved to fix the HDD in this case ....

My configuration: I7 6700K - GTX1080 founder - 1SSD - 1HDD - ATX Fanless from Seasonnic

I have added an extra HDD with ATX PSU compare to spec.
--> It can fit (we will add a fixture for that purpose) but honestly now the HDD sound (really old one in my case) is disturbing.
Hearing good music in the living room next to that could be better.
--> I definitely need to change my HDD.

I used the bottom place for front panel, let see what we can do now as the TOP skin is free ;)

I will show some pictures when they are hosted on our website.

Have a good one,

Reactions: ckychris

greyhound

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 21, 2018
Also, today if you want a trully 100% Fanless case, there is only good ATX solution.

But using ATX slot isn't bad that way because it changes only some cm regarding SFX. We already have a so huge heatsink ;)
Finally you also have the space to put storage inside.

it's definity something we choose. We could have done that smaller, using external PSU for exemple but sacrifying a lot of features at the end.

Maybe next time ;)
well not really
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=797
you can go fanless even with an sfx-l psu

Reactions: Phuncz

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks for the SFX reference. We definitely need to test it.

@Matias Petersen - Thanks.

We are working on gathering all information but with PGW coming and other stuff for media test review we are getting really busy. Still finishing some painting work ...

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Hi, Coming back from PGW. This was a great show !

News: batch 1 is now closed.

First media test are in progress and next case for review under preparation.

We will add some news this week.

Too bad I didn't know you'd be there. I get on the T2 tramway everyday at Porte de Versaille to go to work @Issy-les-moulineaux. Been in front of the PGW twice a day on my way to/back from work XD

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Too bad I didn't know you'd be there. I get on the T2 tramway everyday at Porte de Versaille to go to work @Issy-les-moulineaux. Been in front of the PGW twice a day on my way to/back from work XD

Sorry, that would be nice to meet you. We uploaded the gallery of pictures made at PGW. Complete gallery here

Also today we open a new batch of cooling and quality check control tooling. A lot of things to do.

SombreSire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 17, 2018
Hello,
I will also be an owner of The First. Delivery shouldn't be too difficult for me I hope as I am in Belgium but you never know with BPost :-)
I am looking at using an i9-9900K or i7-9700K; first choice is i9 because I would like to run VMs so number of vcores is somewhat important.
For the GPU, I am looking at a RTX 2070; no specific brand but maybe this one from Asus TURBO-RTX2070-8G or this one GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 Blower by Zotac.
According to the FAQ, in silent mode (fan at 50%), the max should be 265W; with the i9 and the RTX 2070 it should be 270W so it could be possible.
For the PSU I am looking at the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W. I know it maybe looks like way too much for this machine but when I tried their wattage calculator, the recommended power was 463W and looking at the specs of the PSUs I can see that the maximum efficency is reached with the load around 50% and also the fanless mode for this power is
for load under 50%. What do you think ?

At the moment, the only component I have bought is the systemboard, the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I.

Of course it won't be a totally silent machine but at least it will be better than the machine I have now (an old HP Z820).

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
@ SombreSire

Thanks ! For your question have you checked the 600W Fanless PSU from Seasonic ?

I have not tested the 1000W version but my 1080 is working fine with both 420W and 600W Full Fanless version.

If needed more information about this please send us a message at info@mosnterlabo.com

- - - - - - - - -

Today work: we tested an option to mount almost all GPUs ... Soon some final tricks confirmed.

--> Tested with MSI 1060 running Furmark (120W GPU) at 55C full fanless.

We are loading new galleries (for labo mode) to show this kind of pictures and DATA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kooki

SombreSire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 17, 2018
@yeahe - ML
Thanks for your message, in fact the 600W fanless model was my first choice but my 'concern' is that the load will almost be at 80% and according to the doc, the peak efficiency is at 50% load.
Another point that make me look at another model is the cooling; with an i7 or i9 9th gen and an rtx gc, it will be mandatory to have a fan in the case. Won't it help to have both fans running in case of high load, it could also allow to have reduced speed on both fans instead of having one fan running at higher speed, don't you think ?

Marc

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
@yeahe - ML
Thanks for your message, in fact the 600W fanless model was my first choice but my 'concern' is that the load will almost be at 80% and according to the doc, the peak efficiency is at 50% load.
Another point that make me look at another model is the cooling; with an i7 or i9 9th gen and an rtx gc, it will be mandatory to have a fan in the case. Won't it help to have both fans running in case of high load, it could also allow to have reduced speed on both fans instead of having one fan running at higher speed, don't you think ?

Marc
I don't think that a powersupply with fan will help with fanspeed. The PSU fan will most likely fight with the cassis fan over fresh air, while a passive psu will let more air in. So it could o Al, just from experience I wouldn't expect your system to draw more than 300w, so with a 600w unit should be perfect for you. Those calculators usually are not very helpful tbh.

Edit: Be carefull which 2070 you use. Some beefier models have a higher powerlimit than stock.

SombreSire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks @Aki , I am planning on having a 'simple' 2070, I have no plan in overclocking it.
I will take a deeper look at the fanless power :)

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
Hello,
I will also be an owner of The First. Delivery shouldn't be too difficult for me I hope as I am in Belgium but you never know with BPost :-)
I am looking at using an i9-9900K or i7-9700K; first choice is i9 because I would like to run VMs so number of vcores is somewhat important.
For the GPU, I am looking at a RTX 2070; no specific brand but maybe this one from Asus TURBO-RTX2070-8G or this one GAMING GeForce RTX 2070 Blower by Zotac.
According to the FAQ, in silent mode (fan at 50%), the max should be 265W; with the i9 and the RTX 2070 it should be 270W so it could be possible.
For the PSU I am looking at the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W. I know it maybe looks like way too much for this machine but when I tried their wattage calculator, the recommended power was 463W and looking at the specs of the PSUs I can see that the maximum efficency is reached with the load around 50% and also the fanless mode for this power is
for load under 50%. What do you think ?

At the moment, the only component I have bought is the systemboard, the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I.

Of course it won't be a totally silent machine but at least it will be better than the machine I have now (an old HP Z820).

For CPU, hyper threading only benefits some types of VM, i9 9900k also draws 255W and easily hit 100C on a D15 with 5.0GHZ. The 95 TDP guide is only for it's base clock - 3.6ghz. With default Turbo boost see https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k#Frequencies.

For GPU, I would suggest anything from a higher line up as VRM are pretty bad on those cheaper cards. It's also suggested to have VRM/Memory heatsink to prolong the lifespan of the card. It seems like there are 2080ti dying because of memory overheating, it would be best to have VRM/Memory heatsink just to be safe.

For PSU, the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium will turn on it's fan with 50% load, stopping the fan only the load is reduced to 30%/300W. It's very possible that your fan will stay on under load. It also does not have large heatsinks like the 600W Full Fanless version. Power efficency is 96% vs 94% with a 500W load. 1000W might be future proof if you are fine with semi-fanless.

Hope it helps!

Reactions: Aki

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
For CPU, hyper threading only benefits some types of VM, i9 9900k also draws 255W and easily hit 100C on a D15 with 5.0GHZ. The 95 TDP guide is only for it's base clock - 3.6ghz. With default Turbo boost see https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k#Frequencies.

For GPU, I would suggest anything from a higher line up as VRM are pretty bad on those cheaper cards. It's also suggested to have VRM/Memory heatsink to prolong the lifespan of the card. It seems like there are 2080ti dying because of memory overheating, it would be best to have VRM/Memory heatsink just to be safe.

For PSU, the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium will turn on it's fan with 50% load, stopping the fan only the load is reduced to 30%/300W. It's very possible that your fan will stay on under load. It also does not have large heatsinks like the 600W Full Fanless version. Power efficency is 96% vs 94% with a 500W load. 1000W might be future proof if you are fine with semi-fanless.

Hope it helps!

I'm really not such a fan of the 1000w psu for this system, since you are hard capped at around 300w consumption anyway.

ckychris

Chassis Packer
Oct 20, 2018
I'm really not such a fan of the 1000w psu for this system, since you are hard capped at around 300w consumption anyway.

I would have chosen the 600w psu between the two. But Nightjar Platinum Fanless NJ520 is half the price which works out well for me.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I really enjoy this concept! Hope you guys have success with it! :)

I don't really like the aesthetic of the case, by looking at the photos, though. The metal sheet that wraps the case looks very flimsy (sorry for being a downer ;c). Maybe it's partially the colors, because that zotac paint job looks sick!

Have you guys tested if the case offers too much of an interference when using wireless devices connected directly to the motherboard? For bluetooth/wifi it seems one could use the hole in the back to pass the antennas, but I'm just wondering if I'd need an USB extension too for other devices (such as the logitech unifying dongle).

I'm looking forward to reviews of the product!

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Hello Kooki, thanks

The aesthetic is always something tricky. We made the design as "timeless" as possible. But, this is just the standard mod.
As the structure and the aesthetic is two differents parts, it's easy to customized.
Around the case, this is aluminium sheet metal in 2mm. Don't worry it's really strong !

We should have a lot more galleries by tomorrow on the website, this will certainly help.
And I will also able to easily copy pictures to the forum

Regarding bluetooth/wifi, I have not noticed any interferance problem right now. We use on 3 "The First" a dongle (unifying) and the wifi without troubles. Wifi modem is also not in the same room than the PC. Honestly I have not checked as I have not think about it.

First review is on the way. We sent an early V2 prototype. It's coming.

Reactions: Kooki

yeahe - ML

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Monster Labo
Dec 19, 2017
Update 2018/11/06 - Furmak test - 21C ambient air
The First V3 with GTX 1060 at 62C in fully closed chassis
The First V3 with GTX 1060 at 53C in open chassis

Reactions: Phuncz