The Chimera MachOne: For the pros. Small meets flexible.

SFFanatic

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2019
Still within the 20 liter volume that is considered SFF; and if you are putting a 280 radiator in there, well, that makes for a larger overall volume...

Yes but that's on the very large side of SFF. The Ghost with a large tophat is just 11litres...
A 240 mm radiator would be perfectly fine IMO. No need to make it excessively large just to accommodate a 280 mm one.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So an ITX case thats large enough to fit an mATX motherboard. I really don't see the point since the Cereberus already exists.

Why would connections being at the top prevent it from being smaller anyway? I'll wait for official word but if the ITX version is going to be 18.5Litre then that's a real shame and I think i'll stay with a ghost.
Unless you want the cables exposed at the top (which is pretty unsightly), the case needs 60-70mm of extra height for a chamber to contain them. See the FT03-mini as an example:

It's actually based on the same chassis as the SG05, but where that case is 276mm deep and 10.8L, the FT03-mini is 397mm tall and 17.6L. Part of that extra 120mm of height is clearance at the bottom for air intake, but most of it is the cable chamber at the top.

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
So an ITX case thats large enough to fit an mATX motherboard. I really don't see the point since the Cereberus already exists.

Why would connections being at the top prevent it from being smaller anyway? I'll wait for official word but if the ITX version is going to be 18.5Litre then that's a real shame and I think i'll stay with a ghost.

Come on, you know size/dimensions aren't everything on a case. Comparing just "what fits" or "X liters" is very superficial.

Aesthetics is also part of the case. I see the ghost is super optimized for efficient use of internal space, but the looks is a huge part of what makes these products interesting. I, for example, don't think would ever buy a Ghost, because its appearance is unappealing to me (I might buy a Cerberus in the near future though hehe).

Reactions: zzmadd

SFFanatic

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2019
Come on, you know size/dimensions aren't everything on a case. Comparing just "what fits" or "X liters" is very superficial.

Aesthetics is also part of the case. I see the ghost is super optimized for efficient use of internal space, but the looks is a huge part of what makes these products interesting. I, for example, don't think would ever buy a Ghost, because its appearance is unappealing to me (I might buy a Cerberus in the near future though hehe).

Yes it is. And size really plays a big part in that! Why can't the Chimera MachOne Mini be just as optimized with internal space as the Ghost? They are designing this case from scratch after all... It's possible to house a mATX motherboard in a 13litre case so it either comes down to 1) lack of imagination or 2) laziness for why the MachOne can't be made smaller than 18.5litre. Chimera have said that they are going to now split case into mITX and ATX, so now would be the perfect time to try and shrink the mITX version to as small as possible while still being functional. If they will keep it at 18.5litre then they may as well just make it also accommodate an mATX motherboard.

Last edited:

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Am I wrong thinking that this thread is about the Mach One and the Mach One is going to be an ATX case?

schn1tt3r

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 24, 2018
Am I wrong thinking that this thread is about the Mach One and the Mach One is going to be an ATX case?

OP has said there will be two versions. An ATX and an ITX. Either way, OP is busy with the Sidearm T1 currently, so I would guess it will take some time for this project to continue.

Reactions: zzmadd

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
I would also like to add that I love the bead blasted / sand blasted aluminum look. It's very soft and elegant, and is absolutely my preferred look. I hope the Mach One goes with this finish.

Totally agree. And to me, nothing cheaper looking than brushed aluminum. Reminds me of the stream about the new NFC apu case: there are premium brushed anodized aluminum panels and also cheaper powder coated pieces, and everyone preferred the powder coated pieces, regardless of price. Ghost S1 looks great for its sandblasted finish.

Reactions: WinterCharm

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
Cannot wait for the ITX version. It'll be an instant buy from me, as long as there's placement for 4 NF A12x25 fans. (I want balanced airflow at whisper quiet noise levels)

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Can't wait to see concepts of the ATX design. An HD-Plex 800w based ATX case would be interesting to consider, though very niche.

Reactions: WinterCharm

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
I suspect and hope the ATX version will have at least space for a SFX PSU and even ATX PSU.

WinterCharm

Master of Cramming
Jan 19, 2019
I suspect and hope the ATX version will have at least space for a SFX PSU and even ATX PSU.

There is not much point to an ATX PSU anymore, in any computer -- when you have 750W SFX Platinum fully modular PSU available for under $200, unless you somehow need more than 750W for your system, it's completely moot to wish for an ATX PSU...

Reactions: lawney and Talyrius

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
There is not much point to an ATX PSU anymore, in any computer -- when you have 750W SFX Platinum fully modular PSU available for under $200, unless you somehow need more than 750W for your system, it's completely moot to wish for an ATX PSU...

And if you need more power, there is the 1kW Platinum-rated SFX-L PSU from Silverstone...?